Help

Substitute Teachers

Unemployment Pay

>

pt2014js

Unemployment Pay
Old 03-16-2020, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Check out your state's Unemployment Benifits if your job has been affected by the coronavirus job layoffs or closures.

That first week, the waiting week is also being waived in most states and or on the federal level. However that works.

That means that you can get paid for the first week of your school's closure.
If your last day was Friday, fill your forms out this week. Sunday is the start of the new week in California for unemployment claims.

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Apply online
Old 03-16-2020, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's good news about no waiting period! Normally EDD won't cover the first week after you apply.

Also, you can do everything online. For California, go to edd.ca.gov and select UI Online.

I submitted mine yesterday (California). You do need to gather your pay records and employment history for the last year and a half. The form asks you to list your employers and gross pay amounts per quarter dating back to 2018.

Do it right away. Delaying may impact the amount you will receive.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Glad that subs are going to get something. I hope it is enough, although I know it probably won't be.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

EDD info: unemployment due to closures
Old 03-16-2020, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My substitute coordinator actually sent an email with a link to this (CA) EDD notification. Nice to know she's trying to help.

https://kmph.com/news/local/the-edd-...he-coronavirus

Here's an excerpt:
"Reduced Work Hours

If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. Workers who are temporarily unemployed due to COVID-19 and expected to return to work with their employer within a few weeks are not required to actively seek work each week. However, they must remain able and available and ready to work during their unemployment for each week of benefits claimed and meet all other eligibility criteria. Eligible individuals can receive benefits that range from $40-$450 per week.

The Governor’s Executive Order waives the one-week unpaid waiting period, so you can collect UI benefits for the first week you are out of work. If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim."

bodhimom

Old 03-16-2020, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I applied, but I won't hold my breath. I wasn't able to put any text into the box that said to explain your situation.

bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-16-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just filed this afternoon, but my page disappeared since it took more than 30 minutes to gather 12 quarters of information for my other two districts.
It is odd that they asked for the quarterly earnings for my "other employers", but not for the district I applied under first.
They want you to first list your very last place of employment, even if it is just for one day, which mine was.
My last day was not my primary district, and only gives me 25% of my total income, yet this is the coordinator that will get asked for verification from the EDD. This is unfortunate.

I also was blocked from explaining my situation, In hindsight, I wish I had done it over the phone.

There is also no job under education listed as "substitute teacher". It comes out as "substitute teacher aide", so I was not even given the option to either explain myself, or to even include the correct job. I had to switch it to just "teacher"
It also asks if we were given a reassurance letter to return. Of course we did not since returning is implied, but I therefore said no. Again I hope this does not anger the sub coordinator, who already does not accept e- mails from us. We get rejected as spam, and can only text her to communicate. She does not like direct phone calls.

I fully expect to have my claim rejected, mostly because we do not really exist in the eyes of administrators.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've filed with EDD a few times in the past, so I pretty much know the drill.

The form is detailed and a bit confusing, but you can always make corrections when you receive EDD's letter. It may take a while before you get paid, but if you 've been subbing as a district employee, you shouldn't have any problem qualifying unless you haven't had enough earnings.

Also people who've been subbing only as independent contractors through Swing or some other contracting agency probably cannot collect because they are considered "self employed."

Sirsubalot: I also got timed out a lot when completing the online form. You just go back to where you left off, and make sure to click the Save Draft button frequently. ( It's a very slow and clunky interface.) I chose "teacher" too for job title. Weird that it doesn't have substitute teacher as an option! I selected "no work due to earthquake, fire, flood, drought, etc." as the reason for layoff. At the end of the form is the "Disaster Information" section. You can select "public health" as the type of disaster. You can print out the form after you complete it so you have a copy.

I personally wouldn't want to go to the EDD office. Even if it's open to the public (which I doubt), it would be a zoo. You can always make corrections to your info when you receive EDD's confirmation letter. You will also have a scheduled phone interview with them.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-16-2020 at 01:42 PM..

Sirsubalot

Old 03-16-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did select public health, but the box provided to explain your situation with a maximum of 150 characters is blocked.
Since it only asked for quarterly earnings for the other two districts, they have no idea what I earned in my first district, so my earnings are under reported. I will need to clarify this when I get the form
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-16-2020, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I checked my printout. The text box provided for the explanation is only for self employed folks. It's probably greyed out because you identified yourself as an employee. (I did the same.)

It's a confusing and frustrating form for sure. They sure don't make it easy!

BTW: it's not up to your employer to grant or refuse you unemployment insurance benefits. It's up to EDD. If you have had enough earnings and were laid off due to closures, you are qualified.

CC96

Gave up
Old 03-16-2020, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

After sitting in my chair gathering information and working on the computer for four-five hours my back could not take anymore, I finally gave up for today— took a screenshot of what I need to do with my income because it’s over 4 to 5 districts and I will go back at it tomorrow.😩

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-16-2020, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

CC96: Yeah...I think they deliberately make it hard in order to discourage applications. You have to just keep at it.

The quarterly earnings report is the hardest part. I only worked for 2 districts, and it took me a while to complete (digging through all my old paycheck stubs...ugh). I can't imagine having to fill in all that for multiple districts.

Bobbies

What about Texas? Having a hard time?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Does anyone know the status of Texas regarding this situation? I cant seem to find anything.
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

FBMidwest

Old 03-17-2020, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I guess I was lucky. I am in Wisconsin, and as soon as I entered my name, DOB and SSN, I just had to verify the employers that the state already had listed ( I suppose from my W2/taxes) Never asked me for the amounts, that was somehow calculated for me. I checked the numbers and the amounts for each quarter seemed accurate.

I am also self-employed, and that seems to be causing some additional verification, but I will just wait till something comes in the mail. They haven't denied me yet!
FBMidwest is online now   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 03-18-2020, 11:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It sounds like the Federal Government is going to help with the Unemployment. Kind of like the 2008/9 recession payment or easing the requirement.

If you were laid off last week - sign up this week before Sunday. Don't be afraid of making a mistake, they know how much you made and will inform you and tell you if you made an small error.
If you need to know how much you made, look on the MYSocialSecurity.gov or sign up, login in.
Or call your payroll office.

luv2teach2017- good information in her messages. Thanks.
This week, get it in, maybe we will get that $1000.00 also.
Haha, a sub can dream...
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-19-2020, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I don't get why they make us spend hours figuring out our pay, and when, when they must know the numbers. I doubt they will just take our word for it.

I didn't spend a ton of time because I'm not expecting to get anything, anyway, and don't want to waste my time. I used my W2's and tried to figure it out that way.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Were you approved for Unemployment?
Old 03-22-2020, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

After you applied were you approved? I'm with several districts also and it was a little confusing trying to figure out my hourly pay since all 4 of them pay a different amount. I also had to figure out an average for my weekly pay, since I don't work a set amount of days each week. I did all the calculations yesterday, and when I checked their website this morning I had been "denied". I'm wondering if it's because I choose the reason for the claim as "Temporary Shut down". I started to choose Shut down because of the COVID-19 virus, but when I chose that a message came up that option was just for bars, gyms, etc. and that it would be charged to a nba (Non-chargeable Benefits account). So I thought I couldn't choose that option.

My daughter is a sub pro for the same company (edustaff), and received an approval the day before, when she applied for unemployment benefits. I'm wondering if the job classification may have caused my denial, they didn't have anything for Sub Teacher so I chose "Other Teachers and Instructors. I did everything online, hopefully I can get someone on the phone tomorrow to explain why I was denied.
Sub14 is online now   Reply With Quote