Unemployment for subs? What is available to us? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Unemployment for subs? What is available to us?

>

Bobbies

Unemployment for subs? What is available to us?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There is nothing online, our school districts does not issue us emails accounts, and we do not have a sub-corrinator.
I have been told contradicting information regarding substitutes in this state. I sub in Texas, and I do not know if I qualify for unemployment or anything else? Is there anyone who knows Texas law regarding subs and receiving unemployment or any other benefits we, as substitutes can receive? What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated in this time of crisis. I also have been calling other subs and they too are totally in the dark as admin has communicated aboutsley nothing to us whatsoever!

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

FBMidwest

Go online
Old 03-21-2020, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your employer is probably not going to tell you how to get unemployment.
Search online for Texas Unemployment. No doubt there is a Texas Department of Workforce Development where you can begin the process online. I am in Wisconsin, and applied on Monday. Tomorrow is when I will actually file for my first week ( you have to file after each week is over.)
We will see then what happens. My application was accepted, but I will keep holding my breath until something actually comes through!

By all means, research for yourself and apply ASAP! Good luck!
FBMidwest is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-21-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you should just apply. What would it hurt? The district is too busy dealing with all the student learning issues to spend time on this.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

Old 03-21-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

look for the Texas Workforce Commission. i don't know if you will have luck - keep in mind that if you have a letter of reasonable assurance on file, that may prevent you from getting anything, or that may not apply under current circumstances. keep in mind also that benefits are paid out by your district, and your district may not take you next year if they have to pay out unemployment to you now. ask yourself how easily they can replace you in the future (is this a small district? or a large one that can always find more people?). if you seek this now, you may be burning future bridges.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

For Texas UI info
Old 03-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Bobbies: access info via this link:
https://twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/app...its#howToApply

NOTE: Employers pay a required unemployment insurance tax for all employees who earn over a specified amount. Employers do NOT directly pay you your unemployment benefits .

It's your right to file for government unemployment benefits if you have been laid off due to school closures. Filing for unemployment benefits does NOT jeopardize your future job prospects!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-22-2020 at 06:32 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-22-2020, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tried to find out my account status, but I cannot get through. They gave me an eight digit ID number, but they said there is an error since I did not supply my TEN digit ID number.

I am totally confused.

How do I retrieve my actual ten digit number?
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

UI Customer Account #
Old 03-23-2020, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I copied this from the (CA) EDD website:

All Unemployment Insurance customers who file a new claim or reopen an existing claim will automatically receive their Employment Development Department (EDD) Customer Account Number (DE 5614) letter within 10 business days of filing or reopening a claim.

If you have lost, misplaced, or never received your EDD Customer Account Number, contact the EDD:

Online: Go to Ask EDD and select the category Unemployment Insurance Benefits, the sub category UI Online, and the topic EDD Customer Account Number. Select Continue at the bottom of the page to begin the process of submitting your message.
By Phone: Call 1-800-300-5616 from 8 a.m. to 12 noon (Pacific time), Monday through Friday, except on state holidays.

I haven't yet received an EDD letter (or email) either. But I applied a week ago (on the 14th), so it hasn't been 10 business days yet. The account # will be included in their letter.

bodhimom

Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Reasonable assurance doesn't count during something like this. That is for the summer break. I would just apply. Everybody else is. All those other subs are applying, also. This is what it is for.
Whether I actually get anything is a different story.

I never got an email, but I did get called with my interview day and time. I was actually surprised that it came so quickly. I found out we were closing on a Friday and I applied on Sunday, so it was probably two weeks ago, I think. I applied because Aillya made it easy when she gave us the link and I didn't see any reason not to. It never even crossed my mind that the school would get mad at me. Why would they? They would do the same thing.

I didn't get a letter like what you guys are talking about, but I did get two letters. One was the date and time of my interview and the other was asking how I wanted to receive my unemployment benefits, but it was a form letter, not that I actually DID get benefits.

My interview is tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I don't think I made enough to get anything. I only made about $6,000 this year, but still it was money that I needed and would be making, now, if not for this.

Last edited by bodhimom; 03-23-2020 at 08:02 AM..

ChessandCheck

Old 03-23-2020, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

perhaps things are different for school districts? but you are correct that employers do not pay benefits directly. employer rates paid into that fund, however, typically increase when they have many claimants.

it is certainly everyone's right to apply, i am just cautious and skeptical by nature where bureaucracies and companies are concerned; i don't assume it won't come back to haunt me somehow, regardless of what is just, right, or fair to me as an individual.

i just double-checked the twc site, which specifies that laws regarding who qualifies for benefits have not changed, although they do have flexibility at this time. i also know that their site specifically indicates substitutes do not qualify, or district employees with an lra.

our state is not known for its great and magnanimous concern for workers. i'm waiting and watching to see how it goes for other texas subs before i consider filing.

luv2teach2017

Stick to the facts
Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think this is a good time to use our critical thinking skills and differentiate between personal beliefs and the facts when posting and reading here. It's best to go to reliable sources, not strangers posting on a chat board, for trustworthy information.

bodhimom

Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The letter I received about submitting my resume said I have 21 days to do so, and I'm thinking this will be over by then, anyway.

The letter said, in one part, that my maximum weekly benefit would be $0.00/week, and in another part it said it was $84/week. I don't know who runs these things, but maybe they should hire one of us, instead .

I have my "interview," later, and I'll give you guys an update.

I guess it is possible (not probable) that this could hurt me in the future, but I don't think I want to work for a district that would penalyse (sp?) someone for filing for unemployment during this time, something that they would probably do, themselves.

luv2teach2017

Heresay
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I guess it is possible (not probable) that this could hurt me in the future, but I don't think I want to work for a district that would penalyse (sp?) someone for filing for unemployment during this time, something that they would probably do, themselves.
That's a totally baseless claim someone here made. I've received UI several times in the past and even returned to the same employer. There's NEVER been any retaliation! No reason for it.

(Maybe some are confusing UI with workers comp. They're apples and oranges. There is a retaliation problem with workers comp, which can involve very costly compensation for on the job injury.)

bodhimom

Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree with you, Luv2teach,. I'm not seeing it. It actually never even crossed my mind that it could hurt me until someone on here mentioned it. I never even thought to contact my district, either.

This is my first time doing this. I think my husband is glad I applied. I don't make much, but we need it. We'll see. I'm glad you went back to the same employers with no retaliation.

I know we get treated like crap, a lot, but I can't see a district retaliating against someone for trying to do what is best for their kids. Something that they would probably do. They are in the kid business.

I might not brag about applying, when I return, now that I know that the district pays for it (assuming that is correct), but I think I owe it to my husband to at least apply.

I'm not big on government programs, either, but you can't complain about not getting anything, if you don't even apply.

I applied for a teaching job that came up next year, but I'm trying to just know that this won't hurt me. I'm not seeing it.

It's funny that the people I have bickered with in the past, here, are rallying around us in this situation. That is touching.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I might not brag about applying, when I return, now that I know that the district pays for it (assuming that is correct), but I think I owe it to my husband to at least apply.
Look at your past paycheck stubs. You will see unemployment tax itemized as an employer paid item. If you need more info, Google about it.

I'm sorry that some damaging misinformation has been posted around here. I think it's irresponsible to make people needlessly afraid.

Employers are required to pay a UI tax if they have employees. Regardless of whether you ever file, your employers still have already paid the tax. It's not earmarked for you personally.

You have earned your UI benefit via the wages you earned. It's not a free government handout. You have a right to receive a benefit you have earned. I'm glad you applied! ☺

BTW: Some districts, including mine, have actually encouraged their subs to apply.

Fractured

Old 03-24-2020, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I know someone posted they were nervous about applying. My district emailed us and said they would not fight anyone trying to get unemployment. I hope all the districts are doing this. In the very least, other districts I work in that donít communicate much told us to contact our unemployment office. I did tell people on here to apply either way regardless. As most states have declared states of emergency, unemployment has become easier to get in most cases.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold4

Gold4

I was denied for unemployment a few days ago
Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm a Substitute Teacher for Edustaff and was denied unemployment, when I applied a few days ago. They said I was denied because they go by how much you make per quarter, over the past 18 months. There are 4 quarters in a year Jan-Mar, Apr-June, Jul-Sept, Oct-Dec., and I would've had to have made a certain minimum amount within at least 1 of those quarters to qualify. And that I didn't meet the minimum requirements for any of the quarters. Subbing isn't my only job, but it's a big part of my income.

My daughter is a Sub Para for Edustaff also, and was approved for unemployment 1 day before I applied. She makes most of her money subbing, and does it more consistently than I do. So even though I made almost as much as she did subbing, my payments were more spread out through the year because it's not my only source of income.

Sirsubalot

Old 03-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Two of my districts said nothing. My largest district gave out a weird contact address based in oakland that seems to have nohting to do with the EDD office.

There was no link to this address, it was just a mailing address. I ignored it and went the EDD route.

Update; I just got three letters in the mail today from EDD. My benefit amount is $362, but I will need to fill out the form and wait a couple weeks for my first check. I am supposed to turn in the form on March 29.

The good news is that there is no "X" marked, which means I do not need to look for work.

I will only get half of what I would have earned during an average week, but it is better than nothing.
The maximum I am allowed to collect is a little more than I would have earned working every day through the end of the year.

I wonder if we can continue to collect into the summer until we reach our maximum allowed?

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 03-24-2020 at 01:05 PM..

luv2teach2017

Old 03-24-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
I wonder if we can continue to collect into the summer until we reach our maximum allowed?
You will be eligible to collect until either your claim runs out (usually 6 months) or you start earning wages again in excess of the weekly claim amount. (You continue to complete that weekly earnings report form, so EDD knows if you've resumed work and how much you're earning).

bodhimom

Old 03-24-2020, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I just had my "phone interview.". Apparently, I was "flagged" for an interview because I put my last work day as 3/14 in one spot and 3/15 in another (3/14 was the last day I actually worked, but they called me on 3/15 that we were shut down).

I'm still cautiously optimistic... $84/week isn't much, but we can use it!

Sirsubalot

Old 03-24-2020, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This makes sense for normal jobs, but since we are never allowed to collect when out of work for the summer, will this year be different?

Most schools are scheduled to return to work for only three to four weeks before summer recess.

Will the districts send out our yearly reassurance letters? Will these letters prevent us from continuing our claims?

Will the districts complain if we continue our claim, and try to stop us?

So many unknowns.

It will take 24 weeks of UI benefits to equal what I would have earned without a shutdown.

bodhimom

Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The woman told me that every two weeks we have to go online and answer 6 questions. I assume they are about whether we found a job (and how much we will make), if we have applied anywhere, are we looking for work, etc. I've never done this before, but that is what I assume.

I'll feel better when I have my check in my hand. I hope it will be retroactive to the day I applied. It sounded like it would be.

snazzyjazzy

This whole thing is very frustrating
Old 03-24-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am a sub in Texas and we were on Spring Break last week. The Friday before Spring Break, the district told us that we were not closing since we did not have any Covid-19 cases near us. I started applying for other jobs as soon as I got home (just in case). I applied to over 35 jobs. Last Monday, we all get a phone call that the district will be closed until April 10th at the earliest. I applied for unemployment and it still shows that they are determining if Im eligible. Another sub in my district was told by the superindent that we were not eligible for unemployment.
I was supposed to have a job interview yesterday at a grocery store but when I showed up, the person that I was supposed to interview with had the day off (the corporate office set up the interview). Now I have to wait until Thursday and travel almost 30 miles for a group interview.
snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-24-2020, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

It should be retroactive.

Unless the "X" on your first claim form is marked on question # 3, you do not need to fill in the back of the sheet to record where you looked for work.

Fortunately, I have no X.

ChessandCheck

Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

luv2teach, it is easy for me to assume i am the "someone" you have referenced a few times, and the someone you implied lacks critical thinking skills.

i would prefer you disagree with me directly instead of around me. i spend enough of my life feeling voiceless, powerless and invisible. i admit your posts quite got to me a few hours ago.

i am not stopping anyone from applying. everyone should make their own decision. i shared one reason i'm hesitant (the possibility that it could affect future employment); i assume that is where you feel i have deterred others. that is one of my real concerns and fears, and i had no ill intention in sharing it. (eta - some of) my caution arises from years of dealing with the social safety net system, where i have learned the rules are ever-changing, labyrinthine, and unpredictable in their effects.

additionally, i repeated information i had seen a few days before on the TEXAS website and had just double-checked for TEXAS subs asking for information. i also clarified the texas website stated they currently have some leeway to interpret rules/laws.

i am just a person trying to navigate an unprecedented situation, as we all are.

Last edited by ChessandCheck; 03-24-2020 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: "some of"

luv2teach2017

Old 03-24-2020, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Quote:
Will these letters prevent us from continuing our claims?

Will the districts complain if we continue our claim, and try to stop us?
The district doesn't call the shots. Your EDD claim is impacted by whether or not you resume working and earning wages, no matter who the employer is.

You have to report your employment status and any wages earned on your EDD weekly claim report form. If you resume working and your week's wages exceed your weekly EDD payment amount, you can't collect UI for that week. If your week's wages are less than your EDD payment, then you can receive the difference. That continues until your claim expires.

Note:You cannot "double dip." EDD will only pay you if you earn 0 or less than their allotted payment amount, and they will reduce your payment amount for every dollar of wages you earn during any given week.

I've been through this a few times, so I'm sharing what I know.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-24-2020 at 07:40 PM..

bodhimom

Old 03-24-2020, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Thank you Luv2teach,. I thought she said every two weeks.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-24-2020, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Quote:
Thank you Luv2teach,. I thought she said every two weeks.
You complete an EDD employment/earnings report for each week, but you submit them every 2 weeks. You can either complete the reports online or mail in the paper forms they send you.

And you're welcome! ☺

Sirsubalot

Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

If we will be treated like any other employees collecting UI, then Luv2teach is correct.

If we do actually go back to work on May 5th, this means I will use my claim for 17 weeks before the start of the next school year.

Including the additional $1200 government subsidy, this means that by the time the next school year begins in August, I will actually have earned about $ 1700 more than in a normal year.

This seems too good to be true, but I will hope it is true.

I am not totally convinced the EDD will categorize us like everyone else, since we have never been allowed UI in the summer.

Although I think we are safe, I will not be shocked if our claims are cut short because we are special.

I have also been through this before, but not as a sub.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 03-25-2020 at 04:19 PM..

CC96

Surprised
Old 03-25-2020, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I was just surprised that I received a reasonable assurance letter today from one of my districts that normally would not send this letter to me until May or June at best. I am thinking maybe they are sending these out early as a way to help us substitutes apply for the DVD.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-25-2020, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

One of the questions they ask when applying for unemployment is if you have received a reasonable assurance paper. It will probably trigger a "red flag" to get an interview. Hopefully, they'll let you explain. Having lost money due to the virus should be enough to qualify. They may have meant well when sending these out, but I don't know. I was glad that I could say that I didn't get one.

CC96

When I applied
Old 03-25-2020, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I had not received one at that point, and I still havenít from my most working districts.

snazzyjazzy

Just got approved for Unemployment in Texas
Old 03-25-2020, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I applied 2 weeks ago and was unable to get through to the TWC. I sent the TWC a message thru Facebook on Monday and got an automated response from them. Today I got a message for me to send them my email and phone number. I sent it back and someone called me within an hour. I verified my license number, date of birth and last 4 of ssn. She asked me if i planned on returning to my school district once they reopened and whether my duties would be the same. She asked about a letter of reasonable assurance and I told her that I dont sign one until late May. She said I was approved and could file for my 1st check on Sunday and would probably get it on Tuesday/Wednesday (direct deposit). I could collect throughout the summer until my amount ran out and that I was not required to do any job searches.
snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

You still have to report if you work
Old 03-25-2020, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Quote:
. I could collect throughout the summer until my amount ran out an
Snazzyjazzy...Just keep in mind that you have to continue reporting any work and earnings to EDD during this time. EDD will deduct any earnings you may receive from your UI payments.

Glad you got approved! And in Texas!☺

Sirsubalot

Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

CC96, the district is not sending you this letter to help you collect UI. It just means you will need to answer "yes", to having received one.

This should not effect your eligibility for UI, but will increase your chances of getting an interview.

It is an inconvenient snag , but I am quite sure you can still collect.

luv2teach2017

Letter of reasonable assurance
Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Quote:
I was just surprised that I received a reasonable assurance letter today from one of my districts that normally would not send this letter to me until May or June
When districts send out this letter, it disqualifies the recipient from receiving unemployment insurance during a school break. I hate to think that some districts are sending it out now to head off UI claims during these mandatory shutdowns!

I do imagine the letters will be sent out to prevent UI claims from being approved for the summer break, as usual. I wonder what will happen for those of us who've already filed and started collecting benefits?

If we go back to work in May, for example, will the reasonable assurance letter prevent us from resuming collecting on our claim when work ends again in June? We'll see...

bodhimom

Old 03-25-2020, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Maybe say you didn't get the letter?

CC96

Since
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Since the letter only mentions not counting summer vacations and other school vacations I donít really see how they could count this period of time due to the virus as not being eligible for unemployment. When I applied for unemployment I had not received a letter and I still havenít for the districts I work the most at. I indicated so and the letter is not due for a while so itíll sit.

subasaurus

Old 03-26-2020, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I filed online yesterday via the department of labor website.

After you're done online you need to call them to confirm.

Problem is I keep getting the message that "all lines are busy" and to "try calling back another time."

Trying again today and hoping I can get through.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Department of labor?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I am not sure why I would file with the department of labor, I filed with my state EDD department online. I got a case confirmation number and was able to print out my entire application. Given the caseload I expect to hear from them approximately 8 to 10 days from now even though I filed eight days ago. Why would I file with the department of labor also? Is that something I would need to do? Thank you.

bodhimom

Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

The letter I get never says anything about unemployment. It only says I will have reasonable assurance of returning. I used to actually think it was a positive thing to receive, just saying I would return

luv2teach2017

Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Quote:
Why would I file with the department of labor also? Is that something I would need to do
No. Not if you're in California.

People posting here live in various states, and other states may have different requirements. ( It would help if folks would identify their state.)

CC96

Thanks
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Thanks for the info

bodhimom

Old 03-26-2020, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Why don't we put our state in the subject box?

Last edited by bodhimom; 03-26-2020 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: California

Sirsubalot

Old 03-26-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I suspect that the schools likely have something to gain by making sure we do not qualify for unemployment, otherwise the letter we receive would not officially be called a" reassurance" letter.

Does our unemployment come out of district coffers? If not, why do they care whether or not we collect UI in the summer.

If our UI does come out of district coffers, then they will make sure the EDD is reminded of our being ineligible in the summer, and our claims will end when school resumes.

If school does not return this year, then it will be determined at some point when our eligibility runs out. I suspect the week that schools is out for the summer would be our last week.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I read that if an employer has an extensive number of employees filing UIclaims ,that it can increase that employer's UI tax rate. That's likely why they send out the reasonable assurance letters prior to summer break. ( I don't think employers would be penalized for the UI claims due to the virus-related closures.)

Fractured

Old 03-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Important info:

You will not be able to receive your stimulus check unless you have filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return. Another way our government punishes the poor. I’m not sure if you need to have filed a tax return to apply for unemployment though.

As for Ca unemployment:
I know in CA at least, the employer must take some kind of hit because if you get fired they will fight your claim and do everything they can to prevent you from getting paid, so I think they must be on the hook for something financially. Conversely, I remember once a boss laid me off because it was a seasonal job in an office, but he said he wanted to keep me afloat financially so he said to file for unemployment and they supported my claim, even though they could have claimed the job was temporary and fought my claim. This was all years ago though, so take it for what you will.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Employers pay a UI tax per each employee paycheck. That's what funds UI. They don't directly pay you your UI payments.

I'm in CA and can't remember ever having a problem with a former employer because I filed for UI. In fact, some have even encouraged me to apply.

But schools and colleges face a unique problem. They don't want to pay higher tax rates due to large numbers of employees filing for UI during summer breaks. So they came up with the reasonable assurance letter to prevent that.

EDD does not consider summer break a layoff if you have received "reasonable assurance" that you will resume working for that same district after the break. So if you receive that letter, you are disqualified from receiving UI during the district's summer break.

Fractured

Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

If employers don’t pay anything, why would they deny anyone’s claim then?

Another underhanded and cheap thing school districts does to screw over subs, so no shock there.

Sirsubalot

Old 03-26-2020, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

If the reason for not allowing summer unemployment is to save on taxes with fewer claims, then it
would not effect the districts financially to extend our unemployment claims through the summer since these claims have already been filed.
The question therefore is whether or not the length of the claim somehow affects the district taxes.

If the answer is yes, we can bet the districts will step in to end our claims after the the last scheduled week of the school year.

If the answer is no, then the districts might not care, and it is possible we can continue our claims until the new year begins in August.

CC96

Honest
Old 03-26-2020, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

Districts pay into the system and the honest thing to do on our part is to end the claim when our districts 2019/2020 School year ends. It would catch up with us anyway and you would have to pay back the
Overpayment amount.

Fractured

Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

Who knows if we will even have schools to go back to in Sept? Iím not going to stop my unemployment if I am collecting and itís still like this now. Look out for yourself- the govt doesnít care about you and neither does the school district.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

Quote:
Look out for yourself- the govt doesn’t care about you and neither does the school district.
No worries...if POTUS has his way, we'll all be back at work after Easter...virus or no virus. Yey. (Sarcasm intended. )

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-27-2020 at 06:30 AM..

FBMidwest

Brave new world
Old 03-27-2020, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

This situation is changing daily.
However, before now, like has been stated, all employers pay into a state and federal unemployment insurance. You may see it on a payroll report as SUTA and FUTA. The employer pays a certain amount based on past employment and unemployment claims. I am not sure of the calculation, but if an employer has more unemployment claims over time than some other employers, they would pay a higher rate.
I guess the way I look at it, as far as subbing, the district hired me to fill in during the school year, so I never thought about filing for unemployment in the summer before now.

I have filed my claim now (WI). Has not yet been approved. WI has 1 week waiting period at least as of today. Meaning you get nothing for the first week you are unemployed. This current week the school was scheduled for Spring Break. I will file a weekly claim on Sunday AM anyway. I have no idea what will be approved or not. I'm not working regardless. I will answer any and all questions truthfully. If I qualify, then I will be happy.
I have applied at our local Walmart, but they really aren't hiring right now...
FBMidwest is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

California
Old 03-27-2020, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

My district pay stub (California) lists the employer UI tax under "employer paid detail" and clearly identified as "unemployment insurance. "

As we've mentioned here before, California has waived the 1-week waiting period. Here, our UI payment starts the 1st week after we file. ☺

bodhimom

California
Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I thought that all states were waiving the 1-week waiting period. They may have done that for California, though, because we're probably in this for a longer haul than many other states. I know I'm going crazy. I just wish I knew if I had the teaching job for next year so I could be working on that.

Sirsubalot

Old 03-27-2020, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

We will not be getting our checks any sooner, but we will get the first extra week of pay since the one week waiting period is waved.

There is still a substantial delay, since I am not allowed to submit my first claim form until March 29, which is 16 days after my last work day.

bodhimom

Old 03-27-2020, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

I hope that those of us that applied early will get checks sooner. Some still haven't even applied. That's what makes sense, but I learned long ago that common sense isn't common.