Help

Substitute Teachers

Bathroom breaks

>

flavioguy

Bathroom breaks
Old 02-18-2020, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering how other subs are handling bathroom breaks and have any words of wisdom?
Here are some of my rules:
1. Only one student at a time
2. Student must take the hall pass board with them
3. If students are gone more than 10 minutes, I call the office and report student AWOL
4. Students MUST leave their cell phone on my desk (this stops students from not returning or spending a long time in the restroom)
5. Sometimes I have them sign out and in. But lately, when I do roll call, I create a seating chart and this way I know which student is gone as their chair is empty.

flavioguy is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-18-2020, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I let them go one at a time. I don't care about cell phones. It helps if they know the nobody else can go until they come back. The students know if they are to take a pass. I've only had one instance where they were gone so long I sent another student to check. Nobody in the bathroom. I called the office. Apparently, she went to the counselor.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 02-18-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's good that you create a seating chart, but you should not have to. The teacher ought to be providing one. In the middle school where I spend about half my time, there is a accurate picture seating chart in every single class.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-18-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It certainly helps with behavior if the students know that you know their name. I don't think schools realize this enough. Picture seating charts should be required, but, like I said, I keep my mouth shut, these days.

SubMan

Old 02-18-2020, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If multiple students are asking to use the restroom at the same time it is a work avoidance tactic; people don’t suddenly have to use the restroom at the same time. What I notice, especially at the middle and high school level, is the tendency for students to want to take a friend with them - sorry doesn’t work that way. One will ask to go while their friend waits near the door. I call back the friend or if the friend is doing the dance send them to the restroom in the other direction. If they come back together then it’s a sure thing that they met up there.

That being said I don’t deny anyone the opportunity to use the restroom.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

It depends...
Old 02-19-2020, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Obviously, it depends on age/grade but my general approach is to follow the regular classroom practice until or unless it becomes problematic--then we (the class or individual) and I deal with that problem.

This reflects my bias that I am there to teach, not to create and enforce rules--particularly new rules that are different from their daily routines. Some classrooms have very disciplined rules--they get followed, no change. Some classrooms do not--unless that becomes a problem, no change. I once subbed a kindergarten class where the kids could just go whenever they wanted, all they had to do was place a red (girls) or blue (boys) cone on their desk. Since there were only two cones, it controlled how many kids were gone at once and worked better than I thought it would!

I do keep an eye on how long students are gone--many classrooms require signing out and back in--that's a joy with kids who can't yet tell time but it does make them responsible. I do avoid two kids going at the same time, I often remind kids who are leaving how important it is that they return quickly. "We're going to be starting... so try to get back soon.... you'll miss..." Sometimes I'll joke, "I'm really going to miss you!" (I mostly sub elementary--middle school.)

I have had some funny bathroom break experiences but with one exception (a bomb threat written on a bathroom wall during the period of time one of my students was gone) no serious problems.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

flavioguy

Old 02-19-2020, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions. I'm doing high school only for now. Maybe I'll consider middle school later.
flavioguy is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-19-2020, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I never let students go to the bathroom with someone else. Do I have idiot written across my forehead?