Substitute Teachers

Bad experience

>

Newbiesub2020

Newbiesub2020

Bad experience
Old 02-18-2020, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Recently in December I picked up a sub job for roving sub. It was once a month job, and I have been there twice. Both times I was expected to be in the resource room in between the roving periods. Now the atmosphere there is not good. I am okay with helping out if the give my tasks to do, but they have nothing to offer. AT the same time they hate me sitting idle for maybe like 10 mins between my roving periods. One time the aide there made a nasty face when I said I had to use the restroom. So she went to a classroom dragged a boy 15 mins ahead of schedule and asked me to help him.

Like I said, I hate being idle and love to help out, but this petty attitude is putting me off. They done want me sitting even for a moment idle. One time they asked me to work 1 on 1 with a child who had issues, in the lunch area in the hot sun during my lunch break. They said I could have a shorter lunch break after that(less than 30 min). I refused, instead cut short my lunch and helped out in a first grade classroom, the class teacher thanked me profusely for it. Also as a sub teacher I don't want to work as an aide with child I know nothing about. I have to more subbing jobs there and unfortunately if I have to cancel I need to call up the school.

The atmosphere in that resource room is just very toxic.

Please can you anyone give me suggestions on how I can call the secretary and give her some believable valid excuses to cancel at least one of these jobs.

I would be so grateful for all your assistance. I am the sub that usually helps with filing , arranging books etc etc, even without being asked. So, to be treated like this hurts.

mooba1

Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmmm...trying to think how to handle this. Definitely this school needs to be put in your rearview mirror, as it certainly sounds like a toxic environment.

It’s unacceptable for anyone to give you attitude for needing to use the restroom. That’s a basic human need, and I would’ve told the aide I was going to the restroom, and then I would help the student. Period.

Now, working one on one with a student wouldn’t be out of line, and as a sub, you will have to work with kids you know nothing about. Having said that, some schools are simply so unpleasant you never want to go back, and one of the perks of subbing means you don’t have to return to a toxic school.

I would call the secretary and say that, with all due respect, you now know this school isn’t a good fit for you. Don’t go into detail. If the two remaining jobs are far enough out that the school has a reasonable amount of time to find another sub, I would ask to be removed from those jobs. If not, do the jobs and know that you won’t ever have to set foot in that school again.

Good luck. We’ve all had those “clunker” assignments!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read the problem as being with just the resource room.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

bagano1

Old 02-18-2020, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Currently in a situation like yours. There's some bureaucratic baloney going on.

School I am at used to be pretty chill, you present your lessons, let kids have the rest of the time to do their work or study. Started working this year, principal was around every hour, eyes darting around, telling me I needed to have them doing something the whole hour.

Ok, cool. That just results in me showing videos a lot more than I want to, but alright. I am not getting yelled at.

Advisory period comes. I get yelled at because they're not doing anything. At this point, I'm just befuddled because I've never been to a school where I had to make lesson plans for advisory. So what turned into a long-term job in a subject I'm not certified in now has become something so serious, it's like I'm the actual teacher. And I never signed up for this!

It doesn't help when the fresh out of college twenty-something Tracey Flick type A teacher is constantly on my tail micromanaging me. I'm not even certified but I know she's a moron. She's doing the boss's job, trying to make everyone else's job harder with her wacky ideas. Thankfully, the school has a grizzled older teacher that stood up to her and checked her nonsense. I've seen young girls like this at my other workplace and know how awful they can make your job when they're not put in check. I think it's just this blind eagerness to please the boss that causes a lot of problems that's compounded by the fact the boss takes her seriously and even depends on her because they're incompetent.

So yeah, it's a nightmare job. I've made more than one post about it. Not even sure what will happen when I go back to subbing regular jobs. I think I've changed. Also, I just don't think I'm ever going to leave. I have only worked here the entire year. There are supposed to be rules on uncertified teachers staying so long in a classroom, but I'm still there.

I've considered taking time off when I leave this job, if that ever happens. That or taking a ton of half-days for kicks for a certain amount of time. Teachers LOVE that. I'm so worn out.
bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
newbiesub202

newbiesub202

Old 02-18-2020, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you, my troubles are only in the resource room.
The students and teachers I rove/sub for like me. This incident and petty attitude is what is putting me of.

Also, I am sub teacher, I don't want to be an aide. It is just a personal preference. That child will see me as a stranger, I won't know how to deal with her needs and it is not a good idea.

In middle school we get prep and no one treats me like crap for sitting free for 1 period. Here in this elementary school, they don't want me even sitting idle when they have recess. One time out of sheer desperation, this aide bought a file folder and told me to open a drawer and put it inside. The fact that they have no work for me is not my problem is it?

The aide's face when I said I had to go to the restroom was got me, actually. Even the fact that I tutored another reading group for 30 mins did not satisfy them. They just don't want me to be idle even for a second.

Please can you give few more valid suggestions apart from saying about not being a good fit. Perhaps I can say I have enrolled in a course and won't be available for those 2 remaining days( April and May).

Again, thank you lovely fellow subs.

subnewbie 20

subnewbie 20

Old 02-18-2020, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My apologies for the spelling errors in my original post. I was just a bit upset.

SubMan

Old 02-18-2020, 11:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that the resource room is toxic.

I’m going tomorrow to a school like what you describe. My experience with the school has been as follows. Guaranteed they are going to switch me when I get to the school. Guaranteed I’m going to have coverage far away from the classroom I’ll be in. Guaranteed I’ll have lunchroom duty when no other teacher or sub will (it’s an aide position so teachers and subs shouldn’t be doing it).

Tomorrow I signed up for the “roving teacher coverage” position for IEP meetings. I should be classroom teacher coverage for meetings. When I get there I’ll be switched to the “resource room” and assigned students that need supervision while they take tests or I’ll be farmed out to a teacher who doesn’t need or want my help.

I don’t take many jobs at this school, they seem to prefer mom-subs (moms with children in the school or district).
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Drawing lines...
Old 02-19-2020, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

First, I will share that I too like to be busy and helpful... I occasionally get asked to sub in the resource room and while it's not particularly "toxic" it can be challenging with lots of down-time and little structure. Typically I am assigned to different classrooms (to work with specific kids) and also work with small groups and individuals who come to the resource room. It's not my favorite assignment--mostly because there seems to be a lot of downtime when I feel like I'm not accomplishing much. It's actually a reasonably pleasant environment, friendly, and I've been encouraged to take breaks when I'm not needed. I make it a point to report to the resource room teacher or classroom teacher--not the ed techs. When I'm in classrooms I may get some flexibility depending on the teacher so I'll work with the entire class, not just the kids I'm supposed to. One time the resource room teacher asked me to sub for her so she could hide and get some paperwork done!

To your specific question, if accepting a certain sub position isn't working for you, you can so state and actually no reason is really required--one of the joys of subbing is that we get to decide when we work. However, that does mean fewer sub assignments and your value to the school as a sub is, frankly, diminished. If I understand the current situation, you have two future assignments as a roving sub that you wish to cancel. The "trick" will be canceling them without complaining about the position or any one person. I would probably go with something like you've learned that you need more structure than the roving position offers... if you truly don't want to be an aide that's a choice you can make. If it's just about these two assignments, you can limit it to that... I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use the "not a good fit" approach. It's the truth. You're just leaving out the fact that it's not a good fit because you find the environment toxic.

I would not lie by claiming I enrolled in a course or something. Personally, if it's only two days, I would just tough it out. I have made it clear to our sub coordinator that there are some positions I simply don't enjoy but in the spirit of being helpful, I'll take them if she's really stuck. She respects that and tries to honor it--it's actually funny sometimes. She'll call and ask me if I'm available and then say, "You might want to ask me what I need before you answer."

If I did tough it out and somebody made a face at me because I had to pee, I'd ignore it. Or make a face back. I've found a huge variety of ed techs. Some see a sub as an opportunity to feel powerful, some are jealous of the comparable freedom they think we have. Most are really excellent. Just remember that every bully needs a victim.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote
newsub2020

newsub2020

Original poster
Old 02-19-2020, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you Maine sub, I really appreciate your input and everybody else's too.
This resource room does not want me to have downtime at ALL. No recess, tight 30 min lunch.

At the same time they have nothing to make me do during the time between periods, hence the ####ty attitude towards me. It is not my fault. So last time ,I literally went begging class to class offering my assistance even if I had just a 10 min break between my roving assignments.

This aide is super close to the teacher, so I am just going to say that I am not a good fit and cancel.

I am so grateful for this board and all your level headed, gracious responses, thank you guys:-).