Help

Substitute Teachers

Just do the assignment

>

SubMan

Just do the assignment
Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I’m middle school Social Studies today. The plan calls for students to read several pages, and create a map on a piece of brown craft paper so it looks like a map. Students are to use crayons and/or colored pencils not markers or sharpies.

All day long it’s been the same questions.

1. Can I use sharpies? No.
2. Can I use markers? No.
3. Can I print something on my iPad and glue it to my map? No.
4. Can I work with a friend? No.
5. She lets us... (insert thing I’m sure teacher doesn’t allow)? No.

Why is it so hard to just do the assignment. I’m sure the teacher doesn’t want this assignment to go on all week. Pretty sure she wants it done today.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-24-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get this kind of stuff all the time.

That's what's good about being able to start over each period. I appear irritated and tell the next class, at the beginning, that I don't want to say this 20 times, like I did last period. Then when they do just look at them weird. It usually works.

Just last week students are telling me he lets them sit in the hall, etc. Maybe he does, but not when he's not there. "We'll, he's not here, today. I am.". I don't know these students from Adam.

I used to believe students, until I got burned a couple of times. Now I verify almost everything. I have had them look me straight in the face, and then lie to me.

I was so embarrassed when the campus monitor brought back two students who had told me they were working at the blood drive. That's when I started verifying almost everything.

I have learned that if a student is wanting to do something, by themself, it is more likely to be legit than if two students are wanting to do something. I learned that from that incident.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-24-2020, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes I'll print the instructions on the white board: No sharpies, No markers, etc. After telling them 2 times I'll tell them to look at the board if they ask again.

Same with page numbers: "What page are we on?" after I say it over and over. Now I write it on the board.

It's not just us subs, teachers tell me the students ask them the same questions over and over.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 02-24-2020, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is our life, isn’t it? Some days you have one nerve left, and the students are on it.

For the last couple of years, I’ve done as Sublime has, and write page numbers, materials needed, and anything not allowed for the assignment such as markers, etc.

I mean I do this for most every subject, because I grew weary of students asking, “What page?”, “Can we work with a partner”, etc., three milliseconds after I gave that exact information. Now when they ask, (insert a question that guarantees they weren’t listening), I simply point to the board. They read, and then comes the “Ohhh”.

Of course students still attempt the tried-and-true “But Mrs./Mr. Teacher lets us...” Not a chance, kid. Not a chance.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 02-24-2020, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I find the same kind of resistance from hs kids. They hate reading aloud, so I usually have to do it all. Sometimes it’s like 20 pages and my voice starts going.

They also always want to see the counselor or go take a test or whatever the excuse is to get out of class. I say go to that person right now and get a note and bring it back. Half the time they just leave and don’t come back. Fri I gave a quiz and the students were saying they had no idea they had one , but then a kid said it had been on their agenda board for weeks.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-24-2020, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got tired of students always wanting to go see other teachers during class. I rarely let them, and never without calling the teacher, first, to verify, these days.

Just because there is a sub doesn't mean they can go wondering around, talking to their other teachers. Many times I tell them that at the beginning of class because it has been so bad.

I wouldn't deny them going to the counselor, but I would call the counselor, first.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-24-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If it makes you feel any better, they do the same thing to me, and I’m the regular classroom teacher.

Kids lose brain function during puberty. Bless their hearts.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 02-25-2020, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
5. She lets us... (insert thing I’m sure teacher doesn’t allow)? No.
I get so tired of this that I often say, in my introductory remarks, that some things will be different because they have a sub so it's really a waste of time to tell me all the things that their regular teacher lets them do. If it's not in the sub plans it's not happening.

Once in a while, when a procedure isn't addressed in the sub plans, I will listen to the "Our teacher lets us..." argument but then I always tell them that I'm going to leave their teacher a note so, if they're lying about it, she'll know.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote