How angry will I make the office manager? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

How angry will I make the office manager?

>

Sirsubalot

How angry will I make the office manager?
Old 02-24-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would work about 80% of the time in special ed if given the choice, so it is aggravating when I am pulled out of it for another job. It happened today, and was supposed to happen again tomorrow, but I used an excuse the get out of the switch for tomorrow.

I was scheduled in an SDC class at an elementary school which I have enjoyed this year, but got a call from the school asking me to switch over to 3rd grade since the SDC teacher was not going to be out. I agreed.

When I got home at about 4:45, I noticed that I was still in the SDC class on AESOP. They did not make the switch official. I cancelled the SDC class myself, and of course there was no 3rd grade class to replace it on AESOP, otherwise I would have had a moral obligation to take it.

I sent an e mail to our sub tech and told her to contact this school ASAP to let them no I cancelled the SDC class myself, and there was no 3rd grade replacement class. My reason was that I did not want to take the chance that two subs might show up for the same job, so I did the safe thing by cancelling the non-existent job.

I hope someone will now pickup the non-existent job, and then be switched to 3rd grade.

Either way, will the office manager agree with my reasoning, or just be upset I cancelled the job?
I might find out the next time I work there.

I told our sub tech to let this school know they should change the job officially to avoid confusion. I hope they will blame themselves more than me.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-24-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am confused. Unless the pay is different, why does it matter what the job title is? I would definitely make a note of it, in case there is a problem, later, to refresh my memory (I print out the Aesop paper with the job number, etc., so I'd just write it in that paper).

I wouldn't play games like that because it will cause confusion, unless I'm not understanding it, right.

If you really want it to be corrected, I think the best thing would be to email the secretary and ask her to switch it for your records. I know I'm constantly asking them to put stuff in Aesop for my records, and so I keep things straight.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-24-2020, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Different jobs have different numbers. If the 3rd grade job had been put in the system officially, while leaving me in the SDC class, then someone else could show up with my job, and one of us has to go.

Also, the special ed jobs are charged to the special ed department, so if the job is not changed officially, the SDC department will get charged for the non-existent job if not corrected.

I e-mailed the sub tech, who knows how to contact the secretary via e-mail.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-24-2020, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like you did right. I know I like it to be correct in Aesop. Makes life easier. They are so used to me saying, "You'll put it in Aesop, right?". Now they automatically tell me that when they call me.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my district the secretary or teacher would have canceled the SDC and the secretary would have scheduled the 3rd grade assignment in Aesop. I would have called the secretary and asked her to change it. If someone else picked up the SDC and showed up, the office would have to handle it. At least you got rid of the SDC and hopefully the school will assign you the 3rd. I don't see why anyone would be upset, it wasn't your responsibility to change the SDC in Aesop, which you can't do anyway.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote