Help

Substitute Teachers

Administration does not like me disciplining kids

>

Bobbies

Administration does not like me disciplining kids
Old 02-26-2020, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good day. I have been subbing in a city of roughly 300,000 people for about 5 years now. I learned very quickly to stay away from elementary and middle school. I found a liking to high school as it's more laid back, don' have to have an eye on kids at all times. Anyways, I have been subbing a lot at the urban district, 5% black and 80% latino. The students are very bad sometimes, and I have to raise my voice all the time so I am heard. Also, I have on occasion sent students out, (they all came back in 20 minutes and were worse). The students do not like me because I don't take their nonsense. Well, I was called into the principal's office. He told me that the students and two teachers have complained that I am rude and they want to know when I'll get banned, but before that happens, the principal wanted to ask me what's going on. This school calls me on occasion, last thing in the morning because they can't find subs. Also, the principal had no idea where we signed in at! I have now been told by one school I was too lenient and now told I am too strict? What do you make of this? He gave me two days where he got a bad report from a teacher. It was one of those days, a para was in there, the other was a nightmare of a class. To let you know, as soon as the meeting was over, I cancelled all of my sub jobs there on AESOP, and I will NEVER go back.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is exactly what I would have done. I worked in three districts before I found a school that I actually look forward to going to. Try others. It makes all the difference in the world. And the school I'm at, that I love, is 50% Hispanic. ...and I'm not.

You're lucky, if you call it that, that they even asked for your side. They often don't.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

Selectivity
Old 02-27-2020, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You did the right thing, I learned a long time ago to take classes/schools/districts off my list that were just crazy. And I still work Almost every day.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Vote with you feet
Old 02-27-2020, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In this case I suggest you vote with your feet and fulfill your obligation to the school for that day and then have nothing to do with them.

You may want to send them a letter of resignation. I know of a sub who deleted all the jobs that he had for a district and several weeks later was "fired" for failing to show for three assignments.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Lennter

Lennter

Selectivity # 2
Old 02-28-2020, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

@CC96, Oh yes. I am very selective, also. Lately I've been taking a lot of sub jobs. I really want to work in one particular district (District A), but I just don't see enough sub jobs coming up in Aesop.

I've had to resort to working in another district. I call this District B. This district is okay, but many of the classrooms are filthy. Some of the kids have attitudes in this particular district as well. It's like 50/50 for a decent experience. Some days will be okay, the remaining days aren't really bad, but they're not very good.

I hate raising my voice, and when I have a class that's unruly, I begrudgingly do it rarely when students continue to ignore directions, and after I've tried other strategies. Very much a last resort. This sometimes happens to me in district B. I really like going home from subbing without doing this, and feeling good at the end of day.

So I'm very picky and selective. I've learned that no matter how picky you become, one class or assignment will slip through your filter and you'll simply have to deal with it. That's the "fun" with subbing.

Bobbies

Called rude for raising my voice
Old 02-29-2020, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my 5 years of substitute teaching, I had been called rude by administration several times simply for raising my voice trying to speak over students to take roll. They tell me that they have received feedback from the students that I was rude to them. Since when do students override a teacher is what I was thinking. So, I have immediately scratched off those 2 schools, both of them were quite bad. One of the administrators at the school said we are a needs improving type school, or something of that nature . By the way, I had 38 kids in this class! Yes, 38! Of course I was going to run into trouble, there is only one person in that class of authority, being me, and the administrators did not like the way I was handling this rambunctious room of 7th graders, some of whom were throwing books at each other.

bodhimom

Old 02-29-2020, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You must not know what a school being on an a program improvement (PI) plan means. Thought you guys might want more insight, because if you're not directly involved in public k-12 education, you probably only have a vague idea of these "state tests.".

There have always been state standards for the 4 academic subjects (science, history, English, math). What was new was the "high stakes" testing of those standards, but the standards, themselves, were always there. (Which is a good thing).

It is part of the no child left behind act. Schools that don't have decent test scores (80% of state mandated scores) will face sanctions. At first the school has to show a 5% increase in their test scores, every year. They also have to allow parents to send their kids to other schools, if they want to. They have to come up with a plan to make those changes. Those plans had to include input from teachers and parents, as well. Parents are notified that they are now a program improvement school. Full transparency of school scores, etc.

I think they are given 5 years to show "adequate yearly progress." If this isn't accomplished, eventually the school will have to have, I think it is 75% new administration. No changes required as far as teaching staff, aides, etc.

You can imagine that these schools, especially the administrators, are not happy campers. I would not recommend working at these schools - I can only imagine the stress that they are under. Probably not a fun place to work.

Schools have gone so far as to let students openly cheat on the state tests, in order to "show" improvement. One horrific PI school that I subbed at (once!) had students saying, online, that they are allowed to openly cheat with other students on the state tests. I checked the school's status, and the school had a 1% increase in their test scores. Wonder how that happened?

Schools have gone so far as changing the answers on the student scantrons for the state test. They discovered that, when the state noticed the scantrons from some schools had a lot more eraser changes than other schools did, so they looked into it.

Just thought you guys might like more info on how it works, since it was mentioned. As a caveat, though, I stopped teaching the year before "common core" went into effect, which may have changed some of this. My understanding is that the testing procedure has changed dramatically, from testing for each class (of the 4 academic subjects), to just testing in, like 3rd and 11th grade, or something like that. I don't really know, that was just a five minute discussion with a previous colleague.

Another thing that might be interesting to those that don't know is that it isn't just the state scores that are factored in. They also consider a "similar schools" rank, where they rank school performance with similar schools as far as demographics - size, race make-up, income, etc.

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't been a teacher in 4 years, and I've had medical issues that have affected my memory (which is why I quit teaching, at the time), so if you are told something different from someone else, go with what they say, especially if they're currently teaching in a public school.

I just know that people that haven't been regular classroom teachers, or whatever you guys call them ("non-sub" teachers, I guess), in public k-12 schools, don't usually know much about how that stuff works, and thought you guys might be interested, since it was brought up.

Last edited by bodhimom; 02-29-2020 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Proofread
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

bodhimom
Old 03-05-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Come to think of it, back in 2015, when I first began, I subbed at one of these schools. Their current score is 59. I dont know what that 59 covers, all I know is that it was in the newspaper as unacceptable or something. Anyway, when I went to that middle school on 2015, I was SHOCKED that their were 41 students, you read that right, 41 STUDENTS in ONE CLASS PERIOD! No, it was not a combined class because they couldn't get another sub that day. To this day, 5 years later I have never seen a regular classroom that had so many! In fact, the average of 25 to 32 students in our district now is way too many. Anything under 20 is ok with me. I just love those 15 and under classes I sometimes get. Btw, i was unaware of all that you posted as well.