Backstabbing back-biting paras mean I will have a bad class, and other encounters. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Backstabbing back-biting paras mean I will have a bad class, and other encounters.

>

Bobbies

Backstabbing back-biting paras mean I will have a bad class, and other encounters.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Since my "incident" that I had with the worst high school in town, we have 8, most of them are of an urban setting. However, this particular high school would call me every few days telling me how wonderful I was, and I would accept coming in for the day. All of that changed a few days ago when I was called into the principal's office, saying he had been receiving reports over the last few months of teachers not liking my style of teaching, and when are we going to ban him, and students complaining that I was being rude to them in the classroom, all of which being absolute total lies.

I have since scratched that high school off of my list to go to, and I immediately canceled the 5 jobs that I took in advance for that high school. I was wondering, what are some pointers and getting a good class? I do have AESOP, as I'm sure everybody else does, and one of those applications that sends me as soon as a job opens, and that's another thing I have absolutely no idea how those work, I know that apparently they are sent to the teachers buddies list an hour before they are sent to the general public. Now, I only do high school, however I have had very bad freshman classes at many of the high schools in town. When they list in assignment, all they list is the name of the teacher the class and the date. It does not tell you if it's an AP class or if some of the students are special needs and obviously it's not going to tell you if it's going to be a bad remedial class where you have people fighting or assaulting teachers, I was almost assaulted at the school I mentioned above by the way. Anyways, what are some good pointers and giving a good class?

Also, if anybody has any tips in helping me, please let me know as I am really quite upset about what happen to me the other day at this high school that I thought I was being very good at, I was given the best reviews, however 1 or 2 of my classes, they were totally out of control classes did not like me, and I can understand why. By the way, one of the principals main concern was me sending students who were being disruptive in the class down to the principal's office. He made it very clear he did not like students being sent out of the classroom to have administration deal with.

I find it very interesting that out of the L like 500 or more days that I have sub for this particular high school, all of them had para professional teachers, or whatever they are called in them that I received badd reviews on. I do not like, at all, having another adult in my plas when I am the substitute. I have had absolutely nothing but trouble dealing with them. I do not know who is supposed to be in charge, they know the entire class, and I just feel as though they are going to say something bad about what I did during the day. This has always been my experence With para professional teachers. I do not want to deal with them at all nor have them in my classroom. The only reason they are there is because the students are constantly acting up and they have, meaning it is a badd class. They don't put a paraprofessional in a normal class room. I already know that I'm going to have a bad class, and it never fails.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Must get along with paras!
Old 02-29-2020, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It isn't right, but it is imperative that we get along with the paras, really well. They shouldn't have so much power, since the job doesn't even require an education, other than a high school diploma, but they have a lot more power than we do. I go out of my way to have the paras like me because I know that they can get me banned very easily. At the very least they can make you look bad to the other teachers because they see them, every day, and the teachers won't confirm what they hear with the sub, or get the subs point of view.

I used to like having paras in the class since they know the students and could help me, but now I would really rather not have them in the class. I think they are more negative than positive because they live in their little world of that little class and that teacher (or a few teachers). Paras are not teachers, though I know some on this list would probably call them that. They are aides to help students in special ed, language, etc. The SUB is the one in charge of the classroom, not the aide. YOU are the one in charge, though they can make your life hell, if they don't like you, like I said. I play up to them by asking them questions and making them feel important, but the SUB is the one in charge, not them. They are a classified aide, no formal education required. They are helpers, not the teacher. Before everybody here starts slamming me, I'm not saying that they aren't needed, or important, so please don't put words in my mouth, or assume anything. They should be staying in their lane, but they often don't. Even if you don't like them, pretend that you do. Thank them when they leave (I always do this). "Thank you very much!"

Something Bobbie says is one of my pet peeves. The principal said that he had been receiving complaints over the past few months. Why didn't he give the sub the chance to defend himself, and know what had happened, right at the beginning? If there was any truth to it, the sub would have at least understood and known that it was happening, and maybe make changes. But to tell you "several" months LATER???? What kind of feedback is that? How helpful is that? Subs are not given the chance to defend ourselves, at all. This gets me so mad because it happened to me, too.

I think the only way of upping your chances of getting a good class is to keep a log of previous experiences. I do it. I keep a list of the teachers, dates I subbed for them, and notes. If I would never want to return to a certain class, for some reason, I put that teacher in red . It is just trial and error, unless you know other subs that can tell you anything. In that case, listen to them! One hint, if you have the desire to do this, is to look at which classes are offered to us. If it is almost always the same teacher, or the same school, that is a red flag because the other subs don't want the job, probably for a very good reason (which is why it is being offered to you). If you see a pattern with the jobs offered you, that should tell you something. Also, how long the job stays available. If it is available for a long time, longer than other jobs, that is a red flag, also. I know I am very picky, these days, because my sanity is worth more to me than the money.

Another thing I did was to print out the teachers schedule, which was available, at least at my school, on their website (I think). I may have taken a picture of it when I was in a class and I saw the schedule tacked onto the wall behind the teacher's desk. It had each teacher, the classes, and their prep period. It is better than nothing, anyway. Then when you get offered a job you can look up the teacher and see what classes they have. It won't tell you the grade, I don't think, but it will tell you what the classes are. You can tell if they have a "study hall," which is always bad for subs, "integrated" is a word to be weary about, I think, etc.

I don't send students to the principal, I send them to the office, and I leave a note for the teacher about what happened. I leave it in the teacher's hands, if they want to go further with it. I try to make it rare, because I think it doesn't make us look good if we have to send students out. At least for me, I only do it as a last resort. I won't put up with in-my-face defiance. If I have a bad class, I don't return, unless I've heard from the teacher (which has happened twice, this year). Then I'll give it another chance. I don't take the class again, because I don't think I look good if I struggle with a class, even if it isn't my fault. I'm not going to ask for trouble. I don't want the school to see (and talk) about how I had a terrible time with a class. They might not understand that I had no choice.

It is easier for me because I don't have to work every day and I can be picky. If I had to work every single day, I don't know how I'd do it. Taking jobs before I even read what it is, like some on here have said they do - I couldn't do that. I'd quit and get a "normal" job, first.

Most, if not all, classes will have some special needs students. You can't get away from that.

I think that you just need to be patient, try not to send students to the office (or principal) - instead, just don't go back. If you find that happening every day, then drop the school. It is mostly just experience, but you have to be put in the flame to GET that experience, before it gets any better.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

PRINCIPAL has no idea how his office works!
Old 02-29-2020, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This principal had absolutely no idea what the proper procedure for substitutes who came to his high school were. When I told him that we are to sign in at the front office, he then proceeded to ask me a few questions about their new office secretary. One of the most interesting aspects of what occurred the other day was a question right before we left. He asked me how I felt with the new office secretary. Earlier, I had mentioned how wonderful it was working with the other office secretary who departed in December for a better job. I found it odd that he wanted my opinion on how I liked or did not like the new office employee. I told him I'd wish not to comment on it. Honestly, I do not like their new office secretary as she has no personality, and when I called her once to report a student Who left the class without permission and did not come back, she said OK thank you, and I responded don't you want the student's name? I then proceeded to give her the student's name, and she said OK thank you, and then I proceed to give the students ID, and she says OK thank you. That told me right there they don't care if a student runs out of the classroom without permission. However, I did find it odd that he wanted my opinion of the new office secretary. Perhaps the office secretary has said something about me to him? Perhaps other people have said they did not feel welcomed with the new office secretary? I know he told me we want everybody coming into our high school to know that they feel welcomed.

sila

Old 02-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree to the other reply .
TA s are useful and great persons sometimes for subs .but
few do nothing to sub nor to the students they supposed to help .
Even browsing phones as the real teacher is out to supervise .

Whatever it is ,pretend to like them .make them feel they are important by checking about lessons or routines .
That way they are happy and not think much to spread lies to staff about sub.

Substitute job is lot unpredictable each day .
Lot adjustments needed to survive .
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Coffee368

Old 03-01-2020, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The other day I had a class with a terrible para. She came in in the morning looking like she was REAL mad about being there. The class went to a tech class or something early in the day, and while we were alone in the room, she whined “If I knew my friend wasn’t going to be here today, I wouldn’t have come.” Like a bratty teenager. She had been a pill all morning, so when she said that, I wanted to call the office to ask if they could send her away; I didn’t want her in my room. But I kept my mouth shut.

Coffee368 is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-01-2020, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's exactly what I would have done.

MaineSub

Paras are people
Old 03-02-2020, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Para's are one of the many stakeholders a sub must deal with... In general, my experiences have been positive and I always welcome them to the classroom and try to understand their purpose. (They are not there just "because the students constantly act up.")

I don't see this as being much different than dealing with the kids, another group of stakeholders. With both groups, it's best to avoid power and control issues--admittedly that's not always easy. One would think it would be easier with adults but that's not always the case, either.

We too often underestimate the disruption our presence as a sub creates. We are a change; not everyone is going to handle change well.

All generalities about paras (or kids) are going to be false. Fortunately, I've experienced more good than bad. I did once report a para to admin for failure to supervise her assigned child. But I've also invited a para to team-teach with me... some paras are frustrated because they feel held back and unrespected (subs ought to understand that). Some see a sub as an opportunity to take charge and demonstrate how "smart" they are... some see it as an opportunity to sit the corner and play solitaire. I have had paras offer to take my recess duty and I have had paras disappear from my room when they are scheduled to be there. It's really a wide spectrum.

I've subbed as a para--something I heartily recommend if only to develop an understanding of their challenges. Paras are people and we are in the people business.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-02-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't think anyone was saying that Paras aren't "people". LMAO

Nietzsche

Old 03-02-2020, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Probably 95% of the para professionals I have worked with were very good. A few are excellent and I thought they were the best bargain in education. This year I have run into some not so great situations. I have one middle school where I have numerous classes with three para professional. They do hardly anything. Two of them usually sit in the back of the classroom and read a book.

At two other schools, I have encountered para professionals who want to take over the class. I talked to a teacher at the one school and she said she and several teachers were having similar problems with this person.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

Some will not show up if there is a sub!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I am left notes, sometimes it states that a para will come in during so-and-so period to help with several kids in that class. I have read other boards, and have heard of paras "skipping" when there is a sub somedays. I was wondering if this is true? Since no one would notice, I am sure it does happen. Many times when I have subbed, they come in late or take the student out.

Nietzsche

Old 03-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Bobbies's Message:

When I am left notes, sometimes it states that a para will come in during so-and-so period to help with several kids in that class. I have read other boards, and have heard of paras "skipping" when there is a sub somedays. I was wondering if this is true? Since no one would notice, I am sure it does happen. Many times when I have subbed, they come in late or take the student out.
It definitely happens. My sub plan listed two paras for a class today and there was only one. I sometimes have paras call me when I'm subbing and ask what the class is doing that day. Sometimes they will stop by and pick up a WS and say they are taking so and so. I think many prefer not being in a full class.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Oh my.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am a FT SpEd teacher. In my school, we only have paras for students who need 1:1 assistance. Only preschool has classroom paras on a regular basis.

If I found out my para skipped a class or didn't complete an assigned duty--gen ed or SpEd--due to a Teacher absence/Sub, she would be in big trouble. I would definitely demand an explanation. If it didn't qualify as a verifiable emergency, I would report her.

I wish subs could report missing staff to someone when that happens.

Good paras are hard to find. It takes a special set of skills and the pay is often terrible. Bad paras make it tough on everyone.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
substit2020

substit2020

Paras are terrible
Old 03-04-2020, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One lady went and complained that the class was being disrespectful to me and I was poor at class management. She spun a story so good the AP came over with a counselor lol!! She yelled at them for failing to disrespect me.

The students loved me and I explained to the AP that the students were on task and actually showed the work I had collected. I defended them to the hilt.

Still, not sure the AP believed me or not.

I canceled all jobs at the school. I don't want a repeat of the incident.

Bobbies

Got banned and the wording was EXACTLY that!
Old 03-05-2020, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I got banned for poor class management from a middle.school, first time in 3 years! Whatever bad classroom management skills mean. In the letter I got, they did not bother filling anything oit, just the principles signature. I wonder, who would have reported me if no one but me was in my class though? I had no para that day. By the way, I did nothing wrong. Class was rowdy, but that is par the course in middle school! Wont wver.take middle school again!
nanansub

nanansub

WHat if it's not an option ?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Some paras are caustic and hostile as hell from the start, so no use trying be nice with them. That's what the OP is trying to vent here. Once in a while we get a bitchy para who wants to wreck hell.

Must get along is a good concept but we don't always have that option available, what do you expect fall on their feet?