Why would a school wait 3 months to inform you you were banned? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Why would a school wait 3 months to inform you you were banned?

>

Bobbies

Why would a school wait 3 months to inform you you were banned?
Old 03-05-2020, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got banned from a middle school for "not controlling the behavior of the students" earlier this year, my first ban in 3 years. I was very upset, as it was a full 3 months earlier, and no one said a thing to me about it at all, I thought I did a great job that day. I had not been back to that school since that day in September and wonder what was going on for three months while I was still seeing jobs available on AESOP. I opened the mail one day in early December and it was from Human Relations. No examples were given, nothing was even filled out by the Principle except the signature. It was dated in September, but apparently not mailed until December? I knew I wasnt blocked until December , because I continued to see jobs for that school. Again, it was a middle school, and I do not like middle school at all, and will NEVER take elementary as I have had several bad experences with rude staff at some of the elementary schools. I overheard that elementary and middle are harder to fill than high school. You even get more money a day if you do a middle school. By the way, my ban was not warranted at all, but I know you can get banned for any reason, including made-up ones, and have absolutely no rights, as it clearly states "employed at will". Here, one does not need a degree or any time in college to sub, and we are all paid the same regardless of educational attainment. You need a diploma or a G.E.D. though.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-05-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it's one thing I've learned about subbing, it's that we are not given a chance to defend ourselves, and we never even know that we NEED to defend ourselves, because they don't tell us anything.

That also means that we never get to increase our effectiveness because we never even know people are complaining, or what they're complaining about, so we can do something differently.

I've always worked union jobs, until subbing. Now I know why they were needed.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-06-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Because they want you to forget who you subbed for in case you might retaliate.

One thing I’ve learned is substitutes have no rights. We are guilty until we prove our innocence and frequently we don’t get a chance to do that.

I’ve always maintained a calm demeanor even in the face of adversity; like the music teacher who was screaming at me and asking if I was retarded because I had picked up a job that said “music sub preferred.” I pointed out that preferred is not the same as required and that just made her angrier.

And that was the first school I avoided.

Last edited by SubMan; 03-07-2020 at 08:25 AM..
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

It was dated a few days later though?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You can clearly go back the entire school year and see who you subbed for that day on AESOP. Plus it was dated and signed in September, and I believe I continued to even see assignments for that school. I just did not get it in the mail until January. The mail was not late, either.
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 03-06-2020, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow Subman
I canít believe she yelled at you and called you retarded !!
She and the teachers should be glad you picked it up
What a bitch

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-07-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I canít believe she yelled at you and called you retarded !!
Yes, she said "Are you stupid, retarded, or something else? It said MUSIC SUB PREFERRED!!!"

I reported it to the principal and avoided the school ever since.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Lennter

Lennter

That's Tolerance for You
Old 03-07-2020, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

@Subman, Many educators like to think they are so tolerant. I don't know this music teacher obviously, but that is incredibly rude and unprofessional. Without a doubt, preference doesn't mean requirement. I've applied for jobs when I don't fulfill all of the requirements. Most people have. You gave her a good come back. You got her!!

Smores18

Old 03-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I got banned from a school. No letters or explanation. Jobs for that school stopped appearing on Aesop. I bent over backwards for that school. I think they at least owe me an explanation. I tried to talk to secretary but she was unkind. She said they hired a building
sub. Um no they did not. I just let it go after that.
Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote