Help

Substitute Teachers

We're out of school for the rest of the year

>

artladyhere

We're out of school for the rest of the year
Old 03-17-2020, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just cancelled my Jobulator app and then went and bawled my eyes out in the bathroom.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh wow! That seems like overkill to me. Aren't most districts on a 'wait and see' basis? Check out the below posts for filing for Unemployment Insurance. I did it this morning. Don't know how that will work out but it can't hurt.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully they can retract this if things get under control.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 03-17-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Did they start off by saying you'd all be back in April and then suddenly extend it for the whole year, or something else? This is what I'm worried will happen in other places where they're just saying it'll be for three weeks.
Aillya is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-17-2020, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think itís def going to be longer than three weeks. They have banned groups of 25 or more here and some places are going to ten it seems. Iíd say itís realistic to think six weeks is probably what most schools will go to.If they are getting out testing kits and know who is sick, things will change. If people keep going out and ignoring warnings to self isolate, then it will just get worse. I say we have to wait two weeks. I got an email from Footlocker saying they are going to pay their employees while closing their stores. Maybe public pressure will force schools to cough up some dough for us. If corporate America can do it, they sure can.

FBMidwest

We are officially out "Until Further Notice"
Old 03-17-2020, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are all with you, here. By all means, go to your state website and look into filing for unemployment right away. I am in WI, and I filed yesterday. So far, I seem to be eligible. I have been subbing this and last school year. It appears that they are still verifying my employment with the district, who really knows what.

I will file for this actual week on Sunday. ( this is our first week off)
I will be holding my breath until an unemployment check actually comes.

But all of us should attempt to file in our states immediately so we don't miss any benefits we could get.
FBMidwest is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Gov of CA says through the summer
Old 03-17-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just heard Gov Newsom's latest announcement. He advises people ( in CA) to plan on school closures lasting through the summer. I pretty much expected that, but it's still a bummer.

On the bright side, we can receive unemployment pay (if you apply), which should continue 6 months or more or until we begin working again. And looks like the fed gov has decided to send us all checks for over $1000 and extend the income tax filing deadline. ( Makes the stock market happy anyway.)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-17-2020 at 07:56 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coffee368

Old 03-17-2020, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A university not far from me officially shut it down the rest of the semester - only online courses. I know thatís a university, but I figure the school districts will probably follow. Iím looking for work, but itís hard when everything keeps getting closer to completely shutting down. All businesses are closing by 6 p.m. now, but the way things keep sliding so fast, Iím placing bets on when everyone closes down completely for a while. The situation has put me in a really tough spot as well. Instead of crying, it came out in the form of anger earlier tonight....*sigh*
Coffee368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-17-2020, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am not convinced we will be able to collect unemployment.

However, if we can, I hope I can convince someone in the EDD office that my top quarterly income was under reported since they they did not ask for this information from the first district I reported working for on Friday.

Even the Bureau of Labor Statistics does not list us, and I already noted that the EDD office has no list of us. Ours is a phantom occupation.

About 15 years ago, I spoke to a judge in a telephone interview, explaining why I thought we should be entitled to unemployment insurance during summer break.

I lost.

Will it be different this time under these more drastic circumstances.?
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Apply for unemployment
Old 03-17-2020, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's a shock for us all, believe me. Nobody knows for sure when we'll be back to work. I just want to urge everyone to apply with your state's EDD for unemployment pay. This is a mass layoff due to a national health crisis. Considering the situation, no employer would dare blacklist you for applying for the support that's rightfully yours!

Sirsubalot: I've had to file for unemployment a few times over the years, so I just want to share what I know.

I got laid off (not fired) from a district a few years ago (I was a substitute teacher). I applied for unemployment pay and received it, no problem, because it was a layoff. However, if you try to apply during summer break and the district sends you a reasonable assurance letter, EDD will turn you down. If you get terminated due to misconduct, or if you voluntary quit, EDD will turn you down.

But this circumstance is different because it is a closure due to a public health emergency. In fact, yesterday my sub coordinator sent the district substitute teachers info regarding filing for unemployment insurance due to the closures. She's encouraging us to apply.

As for the EDD claim form's list of occupations, I agree it is outdated and incomplete. I tried to enter "technical writer" as an alternative occupation for myself, and it wasn't in their list even though it's a well known field of work.

So just because "substitute teacher" is not listed in the form's drop-down box, that doesn't mean you won't be qualified.( It does, by the way, list substitute para educator.). It's just a badly outdated form. Maybe they just figure a substitute teacher is a "teacher" and leave it at that. ( Sorry EDD...but your form really sucks!)

Also, you can complete your earnings info once you receive the confirmation letter from EDD. You can also login to the EDD site and navigate to the UI Online Contact Us page where you can email them your missing earnings info. I used that to make a couple of corrections to my claim form. You get a confirmation email with the info you submitted.

BTW: you earned your unemployment insurance because you earned wages as an employee. Your employer has to pay an unemployment insurance tax every paycheck. It's listed on your paycheck stub. Check it out. (See below.)

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-18-2020 at 06:52 AM..

Sublime

Old 03-18-2020, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sirsubsalot: I also encountered having to report my least paid district earnings. I experimented by saying I did not work anywhere else and filled everything out. It never asked me to report my main district financials. So I went back and added the small district's earnings. I am assuming they have access to our earnings and were just asking since we reported that other district as "another job". I can't be sure but I'll find out.

I also received a notice from the district office saying if we had jobs that were cancelled next week (this week is Spring Break) we could file for unemployment. Luckily, I had one. However, that can't be the only qualification. I say all subs should file and see what happens.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Is it really necessary?
Old 03-18-2020, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just heard Gov Newsom's latest announcement. He advises people ( in CA) to plan on school closures lasting through the summer. I pretty much expected that, but it's still a bummer.
_______________________________ ______________

Like you, I heard what he said...

Is it really necessary?

Three weeks off...Not enough?

I could not tell you what will happen two weeks from today...If I could predict such a thing, I probably would not be working as a substitute...

Stores, theaters, restaurants, and schools...They eventually have to open again.

How about high school seniors? Are they going to have graduation ceremonies?

Like many of you, I am feeling stressed out because of this situation...

Again, I believe that closing schools and others for more than three weeks is too much...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If everything goes according to common sense, Love 2 teach is correct and we will be paid.

But I have been doing this too long to not be cynical. I will not believe it until I get reassurance I am eligible.

Only the largest of my three districts told us we could apply for unemployment, but the address they provided for us to contact was an unusual one based in Oakland California and has the word
"Equifax" , or something like that in the contact address.
It did not look like it was related to EDD, so I might need to investigate further.

I have also lost about 18% of my mutual funds as of this morning, and this will rise to about 27% after today.
if this continues, I might have to move back with my elderly mom.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-18-2020, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My husband says that Newsam was not serious, just throwing that out there, when he said that schools would be closed for the rest of the year.

I didn't even think of contacting my district for permission to file. I used the website that Aillya sent out. The worst that could happen is you won't get it. They can't eat you.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-18-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I believe that closing schools and others for more than three weeks is too much...
I don't think anyone here would argue differently.

There's just been a lot of lies, denial, foot dragging, and inaction on the part of the fed government. So now it's nearly reached crisis mode. We're all paying the price and will continue to pay probably for some time to come.

I think Gov. Newsom is serious and playing it safe by preparing people for the worst. This virus won't go away overnight. Too few tests are available, hospitals are not adequately equipped, and there is no vaccine.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-18-2020 at 12:32 PM..

longtimesub

Annoyed by the comment.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My husband says that Newsam was not serious, just throwing that out there, when he said that schools would be closed for the rest of the year.
_______________________________ _________

In any case, I was annoyed by Governor's comments...

I am trying to take the middle position in coronavirus debate...

I think some officials are going too far in issuing orders...

bodhimom

Old 03-18-2020, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Trust me, I am very annoyed, too, if he was just "throwing it out there," like my husband said. Very unprofessional.

My husband said if you listen to the whole thing it was because Newsom's daughter was throwing a fit because she wanted to go to school. Newsom told her that they might not go back the entire rest of the year. Then, he said he thought he would tell everyone that, since he had told his daughter that.

Very irresponsible.

My husband said that people started asking him where he got that information and he started hemming and hawing.

I'm in my cell phone, now. When I get home I'll try to find the entire thing and post it, unless someone else can, first.

It's the media's fault for cutting and pasting what he said, but he knows that everyone is hanging onto his every word.

I agree with everybody else that it will only be three weeks. It's not like everyone who gets it will die, or something. We just have to hunker down for a few weeks, take care of ourselves, not panic, and let them get a handle on effective treatments for it. Shouldn't take long.

I'm more worried about being able to reel the kids back in after all of this.

BadKitty

Old 03-18-2020, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've been thinking about all of you (and all subs everywhere who rely on this income!)!
I'm luckily a long-term sub filling a vacancy and our district is paying us for all these days (minus the no school days when we wouldn't have gotten paid anyway, such as spring break & holidays).

I really feel for all you guys and other people who are suddenly out of an income (small business employees, etc)

Can't hurt to file for unemployment. At least try
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-18-2020, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We went to all of April after supposedly being just March. Iíd count on that happening everywhere. Schools are just a germ factory and you cant practice social distancing there.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-18-2020, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
My husband said if you listen to the whole thing it was because Newsom's daughter was throwing a fit because she wanted to go to school. Newsom told her that they might not go back the entire rest of the year. Then, he said he thought he would tell everyone that, since he had told his daughter that.

Very irresponsible.

My husband said that people started asking him where he got that information and he started hemming and hawing.
Hmm...sounds like your husband is not a Newsom fan.

I watched Newsom's announcement and didn't hear him say anything irresponsible. He said in reality, people with kids need to think long term and plan how they will navigate extended school closures through this school term. (I expected that will be the case, so it didn't surprise me to hear him say that.)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-18-2020 at 03:26 PM..

Fractured

Old 03-18-2020, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

If all schools go to six weeks, what would really be the point of coming back for 5 or 6 weeks and risking infection? I honestly feel like all schools will eventually close. This is just the new normal. I am applying for teaching jobs for next year and I donít even know how they will be making decisions to hire. I really do feel hopeless about education as a career right now.

bodhimom

Old 03-18-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

. Everything has to be made into something political. He is saying what he heard. I can't seem to find it, but he swears he heard it, and he's not a nutball with a political agenda. That's funny.

I applied for a teaching job next year, too. Edjoin says they haven't even looked at it. I'm sure they have a lot on their plate and hiring for a teaching job, next year, is probably not high on their totem pole.

longtimesub

Some kind of conclusion to the semester?
Old 03-18-2020, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

If all schools go to six weeks, what would really be the point of coming back for 5 or 6 weeks and risking infection? I honestly feel like all schools will eventually close.
_______________________________ ___________

I am thinking about high school students...Maybe they could come back and take final semester exams...Then teachers would issue them grades for the semester.

I guess high school seniors could skip ceremony...They could show up to the office to pick up diplomas...But, I think they should take final exams. Teachers have to notify administration who is not graduating...Exams should help them with that process.

longtimesub

I hope so.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I agree with everybody else that it will only be three weeks. It's not like everyone who gets it will die, or something. We just have to hunker down for a few weeks, take care of ourselves, not panic, and let them get a handle on effective treatments for it. Shouldn't take long.
_______________________________ _______

I really hope that it will only be three weeks...

I don't know what the situation will be like in three weeks...Governor does not know what the situation will be like in three weeks...I am sure that Governor is trying to do his best to deal with the situation...I am sure that he has good intentions.

However, this "shutdown" should not last more than three weeks...The "shutdown", which lasts several months, will seriously damage US economy...

It is possible that cure is worse than the disease...

bodhimom

Newsom has a "feeling"
Old 03-18-2020, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Here is the video of Newsom saying he has a "feeling" that schools will be down the rest of the year. When asked to explain, it was based on a conversation with his brat kid throwing stuff because she wanted to go to school.

Make sure to watch both videos (one below the other).

Nothing political, but he screwed up on this one... He knows everybody is watching his every word. He should have known better. It wasn't like somebody caught him talking at dinner, this was a press conference.

https://www.kcra.com/article/califor...irus/31715320#

Fractured

Old 03-18-2020, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Even if they developed a vaccine today, it would take at least 18 months to get it on the market. I suggest some of you read what is happening in Italy. This is not fear mongering, itís the only way to slow down the spread of it because thee is no cure and itís highly infectious. Lockdown could be the new procedure for many months to come or longer. People who have gotten the virus are getting it again and itís already mutated. Please stay home.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-18-2020, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I viewed the gov's announcement yesterday and saw nothing egregious. I think he's just being honest and is right to urge people to plan long term rather than be in denial about the situation. Nobody wants to believe that this may stretch on. But as they say, don't shoot the messenger.

bodhimom

Old 03-18-2020, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Did you watch the part about the argument with his kid? At first glance, without hearing that, it might sound o.k., and that is probably all you guys heard. It wasn't until an intelligent media person (there was one!) questioned him that he said he just made it up because he was arguing with his daughter. He appears to realize his mistake (though he doesn't admit it) and starts talking about old news stuff to move the attention elsewhere. He never gives any new information.

I don't think he was trying to start more hysteria, but I do think he made a mistake. It would be nice to hear someone admit it when they make a mistake. I don't think his head should be cut off - he didn't do it on purpose, but he needs to think things through, better, in the future. People are over-reacting, hoarding, and clinging on his every word. He needs to be more careful before he throws stuff out there.

What is given out for public consumption needs to have a scientific basis. What he said was irresponsible. Yea, it might turn out that way, but it is way to early to know. He doesn't know, and adding to the hysteria isn't helping.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one that doesn't have a problem admitting when I make a mistake.

I am a science person, so maybe that is the difference. I don't think throwing stuff out there, without thinking it through, and having something substantial to base it on (not an argument with a kid) is smart, no matter what side of the aisle you are on.

I am shocked that nobody on this list sees a problem with what he said. Amazing.

On a different note, I texted the receptionist at the school (or whatever they're called) and told her to let me know if they need me for anything.

I had heard that they're giving out lunches to the kids and stuff like that. I thought they might need help with something.

I also thought that the classified staff are probably taking care of it, but you don't know unless you ask.

She said that she is at home, being called in on an "as needed" basis.

The place I volunteer at on days I don't sub is closed, as of today. I'm going stir-crazy. I like to be busy. If they called me to volunteer at the school, I'd probably do that at this point.

Last edited by bodhimom; 03-18-2020 at 05:38 PM..

longtimesub

What the Scottish minister said.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Government of Scotland is shutting down Scottish schools. Scottish First Minister made comments similar to those of Governor...

Maybe I should not be too upset with Governor...It is not just him who said that schools will not open again any time soon...
Dr. Now

Dr. Now

A Very Broad Brush
Old 03-18-2020, 11:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

It's amazing people are so swift to give up their civil liberties. San Francisco is too quick on the draw to shut everything down, rather than consider specific infected areas or parts of a city. A complaint of the latter is picking on or singling out people from particular communities. So you shut down almost the entire city and commerce whereby everybody suffers? Right after 9/11, TSA screenings involving intrusion and interference in our lives in the name of saving lives is at times annoying enough. But shutting down entire cities for uncertain long periods of time is way off the charts.

Coffee368

Old 03-19-2020, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Yeah, Iím going stir crazy as well. Not exactly my biggest problem right now, but itís not helping my mood at all.
Coffee368 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Quote:
Yeah, I’m going stir crazy as well. Not exactly my biggest problem right now, but it’s not helping my mood at all.
Same here. At first I was enjoying the break to rest up and catch up on chores and do my tax forms. But now only a few days in and I'm already getting cabin fever. Still have tons to catch up on, but housework and chores get old quick. Blah...

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-19-2020 at 09:21 AM..