Help

First Grade

Boring Calendar Math

>

edugator125

Boring Calendar Math
Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do to make your calendar math time fun and exciting for the kids? I feel like this time is so monotonous in my classroom. Please help me spice things up!

edugator125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's why I finally stopped doing it. The kids were bored with it--I was bored with it. I just felt as though there were way too many other things to do that had more value. I do think it is WONDERFUL to do in kindergarten though!
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm86

Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have to laugh at this post...this year's group made it VERY clear to me that they were NOT into calendar time from the get go. So, instead of wasting everyone's time, we fit the concepts in other ways. We are all much, much happier now. Good luck!
bookworm86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Everyday Counts
Old 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use the Everyday Counts program and I love it! I have created files for the Smartboard because I don't have enough wall space to do it on the wall but that's not my preference. I think the key is to make it quick and to change it up. Spend extra time on one piece every day and breeze through the rest. If you click on Collection at the top of the page, scroll down to Mathematics, and click on Calendar Math you'll find a bunch of different ideas for calendar math that might help you out.

I've seen it done very effectively as old as sixth grade. It's very beneficial in every grade level.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

calendar time/counting the days
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The product below, Counting the Days, has been the focus of my calendar time this year, after brief review of the day of the week, month, moon phase, etc. The child who leads the pledges gets to move around the sticks and change the numbers. I have a small class of 1st/2nd graders and I'm getting asked often 'when will everybody have a fair chance?' (to change the pocket chart). The person is chosen by drawing sticks with their names on them and when everybody has had a turn, all the sticks are fair game again.

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/produ...9-9a260a20fd8e

Also, Christina Bainbridge's calendar task cards are great!

http://www.teacherweb.com/MI/Central...rTaskCards.pdf

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Saxon
Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am bored and the class is obviously bored with the morning meeting. They did it in kindergarten and now I am concidering stopping this. They are clearly doing well in math so time to move on......
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

journeygirl72

Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

i always end up stopping around now. i just let the leader of the day go and change everything.
journeygirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote

xnanny

Calendar time
Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My kids still like doing it. They love having jobs. I only have about 5 different jobs and they do it so well that they go through it pretty fast. Then I usually do a read aloud of whatever book we are reading. We just finished "My Father's Dragon" OMG they loved it. We had so many good conversations about it! We just started reading "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" and they are already so into it. With My Father's... They notice how the writer really made things so exciting. We talked about her style and how we could write like that, making our writing exciting. I guess our circle time is more of a familiar routine.
xnanny is offline   Reply With Quote

annie13

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My class loves calendar. It is on the SMARTBoard. It is active, they're all involved and I play lots of songs, too.
We have the random name generator pick someone to do calendar, count forwards and backwards up to the date by 2s, 3s, 5s, etc, look up the weather online and mark the temp, sing our doubles facts, do the months macarena, (they love making up new moves for the macarena) fact families, etc. It is a great way to start our day.
annie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Smartboard
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Annie my class loves it too. They cannot wait for the next month to see what I have added or changed. We do the traditional calendar stuff then I add in others. I have a math website that we pull up everyday and pick a different game with a different skill each day. I have a page for abc order. I pick four words or more that all go together some way and the kids tell me the "theme" then they come to the board to rewrite them in abc order. I have songs that I get to go with whatever I am teaching. Last week they sang a song about hibernation. They loved it so much that did it for the music teacher everyday and performed it for a kinder class with their reader's theater. I also have our school vocabulary words and quote at the end of the calendar so I know I am covering it. I use this time to sneak in little things that I know we need to work on since I really have their attention. Next week I am adding in some bossy r activities because we are struggling. My calendar lasts almost 30 min but I cover soooo many skills during this time that I see it as well worth it.

angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

calendar math
Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Of course they get bored if it is the same thing since K. I stopped doing calendar math two months into the schoolyear because the kids were obviously not into it.

My team partner still does it, but she livens it up. For example, for the date, she has her students make change in many different ways since our focus now is money and measurements. Yesterday was the 19th, so it could be 19 pennies, or 1 dime/1 nickel/4 pennies, etc, etc.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

HailGail

How do you set up the smartboard
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I too am bored with the calendar and I would love to do some of the activities on my SmartBoard. How do you set it up? I have seen J Meachams and haven't figured out how to reprogram it for my class. Any pointers?
HailGail is offline   Reply With Quote

annie13

Old 02-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

PM me and I'll see if I can attach my calendar.
annie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

jasperpope

Smartboard Calendar
Old 02-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If you go to www.thewrightroom.com she has fantastic monthly calendars for the Smartboard with pages of activities...it is in the freebie section of her site...
jasperpope is offline   Reply With Quote

pinklady2

calendar math
Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have tried to go beyond the basics to make it more interesting and relevant to my grade ones. For example, when we are looking at the monthly calendar, I might give a question such as "If I want to ask someone to come for a sleep over next Friday night, what would the date be? Show the class how you figured it out."
Every day we try to see how many ways we can count and land right on the day's number. So if it is February 15th, you can count by 1's, odd numbers, 5's & 15's. With the 100 chart, I covered up some of the numbers with hearts and students had to say what the number was & how they knew.
I also have a smartboard and every month I add some pages that relate directly to what we are learning, such as the 100 chart around day 100. I also take away things that we have mastered like counting 10 frames, etc. I call it "math warm-up" instead of calendar and I do it before our daily math lesson, not in the morning. I want it to be quick & fun, but a time of practice & review too. Wasn't that the original idea?
I like to make my calendar interactive & fun. For example, for February, I hid pictures of all things chocolate under hearts in each square on the calendar. The day's helper gets to find out what the chocolate item is...someone said this week it is like the calendars you get at Christmas time with the chocolates you can eat!
pinklady2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnsj

Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This is my second year teaching 1st grade and last school year we did calendar up until a couple months before the school year ended. I now realize how low they really were compared to this group. We are done with calendar. I do it once or twice a week, but it seems soooo boring. I would like to do different things to change it up.
dawnsj is offline   Reply With Quote

BlessedGirl

Wrightroom - Great Resource
Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree www.thewrightroom.com is an awesome resource. My students would be so disappointed, if we didn't do Calendar Activities. Each month is different. You could probably change it up even if you don't have access to a SMARTBoard using some of her ideas. I also have Calendar Journals each month that the students complete as we work. I used to do number sentences for each day, but in January we did Fact Families and February we did Name Collection Boxes. I agree I don't spend more than 10 minutes or so!!
BlessedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Wrightroom
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I also used http://www.thewrightroom.com/page4.htm for my calendar. However, I found most of the activities to be way too hard for my first graders. I deleted all the stuff I couldn't use. (Not the whole page, just the stuff on the page. I love the backgrounds!) Then created my own activities based on Everyday Counts. I've tried to upload a month here before but the files are too big. If you PM me with your email address, (I think you have to put spaces in it - xxxxxx @ xxxxxxx .com in order for it to work) I'll gladly send you one month so you can get the idea.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I also stopped doing it. At this pont in the year, I just let my calendar helper change everything.
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Itsjustme

notebook
Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I just looked at the calendar files that were attached. Wow! I wish I had the notebook software at my school.
Itsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote