Help

First Grade

Addition Fact Automaticity

>

mrsbono

Addition Fact Automaticity
Old 02-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school supplements Everyday Math with Automaticity Assessments (2 weekly). They are worksheets of 20 problems and we are supposed to give 3 minutes for each one.

I have a LOT of students who get so overwhelmed and they fail them. They either get answers right, but cannot finish in time... or they just get so many answers wrong.

How can I help these students? We use fingers, number lines, number grids, etc. To be honest, I think all of these manipulatives just confuse them more. I was thinking of sending flash cards home for their parents to practice with them...

Any other ideas?

mrsbono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that flash cards would be a great idea. Also, what I have found is that they need that fact practice daily. It seems like if we miss a couple of days of fact practice, they are much slower to get them done. Personally, I am really struggling with doing timed tests for my kids. We do Rocket Math, but I am hoping to revamp my math routine this summer so that they get the practice through other methods. Interestingly, I just read in Yardsticks, by Chip Wood, that "Timed tests can be extremely upsetting for 7's." About 1/2 of the kids in my class are 7. I hate to see them stressed.
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

LinzRae

Interesting
Old 02-20-2010, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm kinda struggling with this now too. We currently do not give timed tests, but the rest of my team is wanting to start some sort of fact test/ inscentive for passing etc. I have Rocket Math as well (but haven't started it yet!) and I'm worried about how to not stress my 1st graders out and make them hate math!

I still remember having to memorize multiplication facts in elementary school (maybe 4th or 5th grade?) and if you didn't pass you had to stay in at recess and practice! I think I was traumatized when I didn't pass and had to stay in!
LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

excuse me while I get up on my soapbox
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate timed tests for first graders! They are soooooo developmentally inappropriate!!! I completely understand that you have no control over what is mandated and it seems you are mandated to give the tests. That stinks! We just began timed test requirements this year in first and I can't stand it. Luckily, most kids like it, but I don't stress the timed part. While I time them for 3 minutes, I tell them the purpose is just to practice and do it as quickly as THEY can. I agree that it needs to be daily or they forget. ICK is all I can say. I think flash cards sent home is a great idea. They just learned this year (or maybe last year) HOW to add and what the concept of adding means and we want them to be fluent with it? Seems nuts to me.

Stepping off soapbox now.....

Please understand I'm in no way slamming YOU or anyone who is forced to do this. I just think the concept of it is so WRONG!
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

1stgradefun

Math Flash Cards
Old 02-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I totally agree with all of the math fact frusteration with first graders. Does anyone have any printable flashcards to sums up to 10 or 12 and subtraction facts? Or a website with these already made? I would like to make a set and send them home with each students, so parents don''t have to go out and by them.

1stgradefun is offline   Reply With Quote

LinzRae

Research?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is really interesting to me because my gut was that this wasn't quite appropriate for 1st grade... but since the rest of my team wanted to start it I wasn't sure (this is my first year in 1st). I know Tea'cheer' mentioned a book, which I'm going to look up, but does anyone have any other research or something I could share with my team? Is there a way to use Rocket Math just as fact practice and not as a timed test?
LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

vateach10

rhyme
Old 02-20-2010, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am against timed tests as well, but I do use the following phrase with my kids to help them add more efficiently:

Don't count everything, don't count them all- start with the big and count the small.

We put the big number in 'our heads' and then count up. We literally make a fist, say the big number and 'put it in our heads'. We use the other hand to help us count up if needed.

I hope this makes sense.
vateach10 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsbono

torn
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Vateach, thank you- I try to teach my kids that strategy but the way you present it makes it so much more clear. I will try that.

Yes, I am totally against automaticity assessments. I think they were put in place to appease parents who are totally against EM.

I remember, however, being in first grade and actually studying for these tests with my mother. I don't ask my kids to memorize them at home before the test. I'm not sure if I should.

TORN!
mrsbono is offline   Reply With Quote

TchMe

Make it a game
Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We do EDM too, and I started doing timed test for the first time this year just for practice, not for a grade. I got the kids really excited about having Fact Power, and we do a little cheer for it while they punch their fists up in the air. I think the best advice is to make it fun, not a chore. I feel so corny sometimes but that's what they respond to. For example...

When we have some down time, even just 30 seconds, I yell out a few facts in a really excited voice "What's two plus four?" and they yell back "Six!" I am always telling them that they are too smart when they answer so quickly and that they should move up to second grade right now. The other day I made them all line up and joked that we were going to march down the hall to 2nd grade because they were too smart for me! They certainly got a kick out of that.

I've never told them that math is boring or we have to do this just because we have it. I've always made it a game and so that's how they view it. (Now if I could only do this with ALL of the subjects I have to teach. :P)

We also play some other games like Around the World, where two kids yell out the answer to a flashcard and the one that gets it right first goes and plays the next child. Who ever gets back to their own seat first is the winner. They also seem to enjoy this one. I also leave a pack of Fact Triangles out and tell them they can quiz each other when we have down time too.
TchMe is offline   Reply With Quote

bookhound

TchMe
Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What are fact triangles?

bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote

karevan1120

Minute math-actually-5 minute math
Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a book I have been using for years.
It has 30 problems on a page, building from the zero rule (1+0, 2+0 etc.) up to +5's.
The kids are supposed to complete the problems in a minute but I give them 5 minutes.
(It is the quietest 5 minutes of our day!)
If they complete all 30 problems successfully they move on to the next level.
If they don't they get to re-try the next time.
THEY LOVE IT.
If a student does not finish the 30 problems in the previous 5 minute session I allow them to work on it again in the next minute math session.
No tears.
They cheer when we are doing minute math and ask every day if we are doing minute math.
They each have their own folder with a chart on the front to track their progress.
karevan1120 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

bookhound
Old 02-25-2010, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Fact triangles have a number family, and you cover one number and give either the addition or subtraction fact, depending on which number is covered. It's just another type of flashcard that they use in EDM.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Garrisonlady

Math Timed Tests
Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I remember taking timed tests in 4th grade and always missing one or two while a lot of my fellow students would just go through them and onto the next. Not a good memory. But, we are told to do them in first grade so I do. I start out in September and send home a page of math facts to cut up and study. They come with our Math series so it is easy for me. I also give them an envelope to keep them in. Every week I send home a new set. We just got finished the last one in subtraction. Most days they take the timed test. Every week the new facts are added. I double side the paper. The goal is for them to get more the second time around. Of course, most do and that is good. Only had to give a few "I,s" for Improvement needed on their report cards. I only take a few a month for grading purposes. They don't know I do that. I say I just want to look at them. I play Around the World, too. I also play a game where there are two teams. They face me. I show them a card. The first one who says it gets a point for their team. Lots of times I don't even keep score. It is a very fast paced game. The teams are not even in number so they get a new partner every turn. They love it. The game is so fast they don't have time to worry. If anyone calls out the answer or talks during the game, they get a point erased. That REALLY works. I also teach counting on with putting bigger number in the head and using fingers to count the rest. Can use both these games for lots of math concepts - odd/even, recognizing higher numbers, counting tens and ones, time, money, etc.
Garrisonlady is offline   Reply With Quote

bookhound

Ahhhh, MrsJ
Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

another great independent center idea! Hooray:-)
Thank you
bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote

vocabfreak

Math Automaticity
Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We use EDM as well. I supplement with timed worksheets from dadsworksheets.com (They call it spaceship math). I do disagree with some other posts that it is not developmentally appropriate. The kids in my classroom love the timed worksheets. They so want to beat their score everyday. I do make it a point that we are focusing on beating our score not competing with one another. Once this groundwork is put in place the kids do very well. I do worksheets most days and have them complete 80 problems in 2 minutes. The average score in my classroom is about 50 problems correct. The range is between 20-80. The main thing is to build success. Math automaticity is so important and EDM really is horrid for learning facts.

I have found that you need to practice facts at least 4 times a week to really see improvement. I do not like manipulatives and number grids. Flashcards are a good idea. I think spending ten minutes a day practicing math facts is really important. The kids in my class generally use their fingers until they have a fact mastered. They do not use number lines or number grids during this time.
vocabfreak is offline   Reply With Quote