First Grade

Accelerated Reading

>

Irish

Accelerated Reading
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A few questions about this.....

Are your kids able to log themselves on to take a test? How is this managed if they can or cannot?

How do you do the point thing?

Can they take tests at home?

Irish is online now   Reply With Quote

tlteach

Ar
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All my kids can get in themselves and take their test, except a few of the low ones. They aren't really ready to take test yet anyway.
After they take it, they make a card and can pick out a sticker. (If they made 80 or 100)
If they made 60 or lower, they have to read and take it again.
I delete it, so they can do it over.
It was working me to death, but this is much easier on me.
tlteach is offline   Reply With Quote

funsized

Accelared Readin
Old 02-10-2010, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have thier username and password written on index card on a ring. After modeling them students are able to test on thier own. I had them get a sticker for very 100 they would get. Once they complete the graph i bought in the dollar tree where they would get a certificate for achieving thier goal. Students love it. And it seems they want to be the first ones to get it. I have a problem students getting all crabbed around the computer. So I decided to make a sign in roster. Students are to sign in if they want to test only if the book is read five times. My students are good about it. One of my computers in my classroom suffered from what the technician call "blue screen of death". Which of coarse means the computer died on me and just sits there. So i have to use the computer appropiatly so all my students can use it.
funsized is offline   Reply With Quote

cathde

AR with Young Readers
Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I usually try to get a parent to come in when I first begin AR to help the students log on. I have even used AR with my Kindergarteners starting in January. In kinder we begin by doing a read to, they listen to a story and we discuss it. Then I or a parent volunteer (I have even used responsible 5th or 6th graders to help with this) call each student over one at a time to help them log in and get started. I do let them use the book since I want them to realize the answers are IN the book and not just made up. I am back in first grade this year and by this time, I don't have to help my first graders take AR. My only role is to monitor scores and to motivate them to stay involved. Our school uses the certificate levels with AR and awards necklace tags at the end of the 6 weeks for the students who have moved up to a new level.

I have also used a log where parents have to write the title, author, level, and whether they read to, read with or read independently. This is very helpful to know whether a student has read the book and is really ready for the AR test and it can be very helpful for the student and parent volunteers when getting them logged in. I do provide my students with an AR card that has their login, password and reading levels for them on the back. I just change the levels as their reading level improves.
Hope this is helpful!!!
cathde is offline   Reply With Quote

Love is...

paper chain points, test report print outs
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First, I need to ask the teacher in charge of A.R. to input my students into the system. She automatically sets up my class with my students names and their password which are their intials.

I show them how to log on to STAR to take the reading test, this gives them extra practice with the whole routine.

I creat their A.R. card (a purple 3x5 card) with their name and list of A.R. levels. I explain to them that they have to read their A.R. book 3 times before taking a test.

I help studetns log on the first time they are ready to take a test. They usually get the hang of it after that or I'll have them ask a friend for help. I set the program so that the test report prints out after every test. They put their report in a special hanging file. I will then check it, write a brief comment, sign it and then put it in their mailbox to take home.

If they pass with 80% or higher they get a paper chain/point to hang up on the bulletin board. Every 12 points earns them a prize.

Students who do not pass, I let them go on the first one but once they fail 2 or 3 I threaten to kick them off of A.R. and this usually does the trick.

Students are allowed to take the books home but they can not take a test at home. They can take a test first thing in the morning, during recess or workshop.

Love is... is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

thanks for the tips...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was not sure a first grader was capable of finding their test to take it. Some books are hard to log into because of the confusing titles. I should at least let them try and they may get lucky. I have some bright kids that can help others..

Thanks for the tips on the points.

stampingal

Ar
Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I put the children's login on an index card and they memorize it. I also teach them to type in the quiz number instead of the title. This is much easier as titles sometimes begin the same or there is more than one book with the same title.
stampingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Oh crud...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I should have written the quiz number on my books when I was looking up the levels..... This would have made things more effecient.

GdHrtdTchr

Students have cards with Log In info
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My students have little business cards that have their log in info. I took an old flash card template and modified it to have real name, user name and password. Now I use it every year -- just change the kids' names and info. I'd Most of them have memorized it. If you can log in without me, it's more likely you'll get to take a quiz. I also have the higher ones help the lower ones (with logging in.)

As for typing the title -- you rarely need to type the whole title. Unless it's something really common like a Clifford or Arthur book, the first two or three words usually narrows it down well enough. The two toughest things are to learn ONE space in between words and the apostophe, but I think it's good for them to learn these things. Just make sure it's set to 'title starts with...'

Best wishes!
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote