Help

First Grade

Money HELP

>

teamc

Money HELP
Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have such a wide range of money skills in my classroom. I have 3 children that can't identify all of the coins and their values and I have 3/4 of the class that is very good at counting mixed coins. I have done money every day since the beginning of 1st grade. My calendar person makes the date in cents. If today was the 19th, they would make 19 cents. Then I have other children tell me how I can change the coins out...1 dime = 2 nickels, etc. Those 3 have not yet mastered simple coin identification. Do you have some fun activities I can do to help these 3 kiddos? thanks

teamc is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut44

Money
Old 02-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about playing "Coin Exchange" where the kids get:

20 pennies
10 nickels
10 dimes

They take turns rolling the die and taking pennies, first. Once they have 5 pennies, they say "Exchange!" and trade for a nickel. Once they get 2 nickels, they say "Exchange!" and trade for a dime.

Add quarters when they're ready.

Also, how about giving them real coins each day to practice with? That way it's more concrete for them.
peanut44 is offline   Reply With Quote

irishteacher

Real coins
Old 02-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always use real coins with them. When I took Math Their Way and Box-It/Bag It, they stressed using real coins over the crappy plastic ones.
We do a trading game too. It really helps them learn the exchanges.
irishteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

beech*mama

Hairy Money
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

HI! Have you ever tried teaching money value/counting with "Hairy Money"? I learned this idea from a teacher in a neighboring district and it is a hit with the kids who need concrete math instruction (this helps them see/touch the coin's value as they count).
The basic idea:
Each coin has hair that represents its value. Each cent is shown by a single line coming out of the top of the coin. The penny has 1 hair, the nickel has 5 hairs etc. When counting-on the lower kids can draw & count the 'hairs' to find the total amount. Over time, they rely less and less on the hairs and begin counting by its entire value. Some of my higher kiddos don't ever use the "Hairy Money" strategy, as they ready to count each coin by its entire value at the onset.

Hope this helps!
beech*mama is offline   Reply With Quote