Help

First Grade

Partner Work

>

Teach-in-1st

Partner Work
Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! Each year I struggle with how to organize partners. I usually let the students decide who they want to be partners with and it kind of works, but then I always have those left not being chosen or those partners who do not cooperate. Any strategies would be greatly appreciated! I was leaning towards having those Ketchup/Mustards or Pb/Jellies and then giving out each student a card and they have to find an opposite partner. Ugh!

Teach-in-1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I typically always use my sticks to pick partners. If I pull two names that I know will be a problem together, I just put one stick back and pull another.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach-in-1st

Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you. I may just start off like that so they know that's how we do partner work. I feel that does give them a chance to work with everyone at least one time or another.

Song of Joy

Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I purposely arrange seating so students have someone behind them and also next to them who would be a good partner. I spread out the great peer tutors and also the high maintenance kids so two really needy students won't be partners and rarely allow kids to choose their own partners.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Partners
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do like "pulling sticks" because it gives me veto power over bad combinations (or the opportunity to set a pair up for a particular reason.)

I sometimes incorporate a little hidden math practice - have them draw numbers and then find a partner who "makes 10" (so if you're a 3, you have to find a 7, etc.)

Some teachers I know do "clock buddies" so the kids have 12 different partners for the year, and you just call out which number you want them to work with that day.

Slightly more complicated is to assign each kid (at the beginning of the year) a letter/number/shape code where each piece is secretly based on reading level, math level, gender, learning style...whatever. Then you you can have them choose someone with the same ____ or different ____ depending on your goals for the activity.

On the occasions I let them choose completely freely, I set up a "surprise me circle" where those who "feel like taking a chance on someone new today" can stand and be randomly assigned. - It saves face for the kids who don't have a best friend or feel uncomfortable not being chosen right away.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Assign partners
Old 07-12-2019, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I assign partners based on behavior and ability. The students use the same partner for reading, writing and math activities. I change these partners every month. We also do elbow buddies and turn and talk buddies for carpet and table lessons as free choice buddies. We do lots of partner and buddy work so the kids get to share and mix with everyone.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-12-2019, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can do partners on Dojo, too, if you use it. I did that with my small groups last year and it worked well. You can input people you DON'T want together beforehand so you know they won't be partners. It is the only thing I used dojo for last year.

Before that I use many different ways, including asking those people who always end up without a partner to pick their partners first.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach-in-1st

partners
Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for the tips. I do elbow buddies and carpet buddies too, I will try out some of your suggestions. We all know how 6-7 years are, .