Transitioning from Grades to Standards Based - HELP! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Transitioning from Grades to Standards Based - HELP!

>

kelbel

Transitioning from Grades to Standards Based - HELP!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be our districts first year of doing a Standards Based Report Card to parents. We are no longer using grades of any kind. While I am excited for the switch, I think it is long overdue!

I have some concerns of management....
In the past, I would send home a packet of student work that was graded with a cover sheet on the top for parents to sign and return. This allowed me to know the parents had seen the child's work for the week and were aware of any issues going on in the classroom. Some of you may call this a "Friday Folder", etc.

HOWEVER, with going to Standards Based (with NO grades), how can I still send this stuff home with no scoring allowed on the page. We are only allowed to mark "exceeding" , "meeting" or "progressing toward"....no scores or percentages of any kind. I had thought of making slips of paper with the standards I was assessing for that paper and then stapling it to each paper....but I am thinking and know it would take FOREVER!! It would be a nightmare for me to do and to manage.

So, I need help! What do those that have standards based reporting do? How do you keep your parents informed of weekly classroom work? Do you do a "Friday Folder" type thing or not? or something else? How do you manage documenting all of the standards and if each student knows it....can you tell I am a bit overwhelmed here!!!!!!

Any insight to this would be awesome! Our district is new at this and others insight would be great!
Thanks in advance for your help and guidance :-)

kelbel is offline   Reply With Quote

teapot

Standard Based Grade Cards
Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have used Standards Based cards for a few years now. We are required to use rubrics with this type of grading because parents really questioned howthe paper was marked. We also are required to do all grades online which creates the problem of needing a number for the system to calculate the grade. We use a 1, 2, and 3 type rubric. A 3 would be your "exceeding" and 2 would be your "meeting" etc. I use Vistaprint stamps for our "exceeding", "meeting" and Prgressing" to avoid having to write these out on every paper. Good luck!
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

We went to a standards based...
Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

report card a couple of years ago. Ours is based on F A M or E. (falls far below, approaches, meets, or exceeds) Instead of stapling something to each paper, you might use a rubber stamp with E M or P......then circle the corresponding letter with what the grade would of been.

Many of us at my school enter our grades on Gradebook Pro. We just converted the standard A B C D F over to F A M or E. Every paper that we grade has, for example "E" and I still put the percentage beside letter. (E 96%) Last year I sent home a weekly grade update that included a short newsletter at the top. This year think I'm going to send it home every two weeks.

Our third grade class still sends nightly homework, though hoping to go to a weekend packet this year. Anyway, we ask that the parents go through work, and help students correct mistakes. Then parents initial in upper right hand corner to show that they looked over papers and helped with corrections. Plus, they initial nightly homework sheet. (We usually send home a math fact page, ask that they practice spelling words, and some sort of short comprehension page.)

I hope this helps some.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzybee

??
Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district has talked about this for a few years. I thought this meant that we would be going to grades.? I teach second and we don't use any kind of % grading. Do you all keep % grades and translate it to a rubric? I really don't love the idea of going back to rubric on each paper. I guess I'm confused...using a grade or % seems much more concrete than a rubric. I'd love some more information.

Thanks!
Izzybee is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

grade at the end of a unit
Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do standards based report cards too. The way it was presented by us, it is the child's grasp of the information at the end of the unit. So while I correct papers, I put different things on papers at the beginning of a unit than at the end. For example, in the beginning of adding 2 digit, I correct the papers and maybe put a sticker or stamper or just a check mark to show it's turned in on it. As we've worked on the skill more I put a +12/13. As the unit ends, I put the score (+12/14) and then a 4 Exceeds, 3 Meets, 2 Approaches or 1 Begins on the paper.

The grades aren't to be averaged. The question is at the end of a unit does the child know the material?

It is difficult to understand how to do this for us as teachers and hard for parents to convert to this new kind of report card. They still expect to see all 4's. I'm not sure they really understand it. But I like the idea of "Do they know the information at the end?" Rather than averaging grades all along. What if they struggle through something but finally get it in the end. Averaging grades do not reflect that.

Don't know if this helped or made it worse....

ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

elemedteacher

Old 07-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When my daughter was in 3rd grade this past year, we didn't see percentages unless it was a 100%. The teacher would actually write a 1, 2, or 3. In 4th grade, she will have 4s. It's harder for parents to understand at first. I've always taught with standards based and I tell parents that a 3 would be like an A.

The kids get used to the grades as well because we use a lot of rubrics. As long as the parents see the rubrics and they have an explanation of the standards-based report cards, we transitioned pretty easily.
elemedteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with some of the previous posters that rubrics are the key. They will help parents see how the particular piece of evidence was graded. It is hard for parents to go from a % to standards based grading.

In true standards based grading the scores are never averaged. For example, if you introduce a concept and a child is just not getting it they may get a PM. After working with the concept they finally understand the concept and show they have mastered the concept. They should get a Meets! They know the concept just as much as a child who knew the concept before it was taught. If the grades are averaged they get penalized for not having prior knowledge! The child who had a PM that moved to a Meets may even have a deeper understanding of the concept then the student who started out knowing the concept. If the grades are averaged, then you are really bringing this student down.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrfun

rubrics
Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

An idea from a co-worker- When you make the worksheet (recording sheet) yourself, go head and type the rubric at the bottom. It really speeds things up. I guess you could write it at the bottom of commercially written worksheets before you copy them. We are supposed to write the standard on any paper we copy.
kidsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote

artsyladee

labels?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I worked in a pilot school for SRRC this year and it was interesting. Love the concept but just a bit troublesome working out initial kinks.

Anyway, you could print out a whole bunch of labels with various standards and just stick those on commercially prepared worksheets. I know now I put the standard on top of any test/quiz I do...
artsyladee is offline   Reply With Quote

mstainb

Could you
Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

maybe have a sheet with all standards printed on it and then simply highlight the ones that are being assessed? Still a lot of work.

mstainb is offline   Reply With Quote