Help

Daily 5

accountability

>

Hoosier03

accountability
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, my colleagues and I (we teach lower elementary) have all read the Daily 5 (years ago) and have implemented parts of the program and have found it very successful. The BIG problem is that our principal is NOT on board at all. Her biggest issues are a lack of accountability and too much freedom. Now, I honestly don't even think she has read the book. 90% of my colleagues, including myself, have our masters in reading instruction, and strongly believe in fostering a love for reading and independence with our kids. Does anyone have any advice on how to implement components of the Daily 5 while making our principal happy with accountability? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!!

Hoosier03 is offline   Reply With Quote

kelbel

Show her the proof
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know how your school does testing...however, we do STAR testing 4 times a year. My class increased 2 grade levels from the beginning of the year to the end. The average of the class came in on a 2.0 Grade Level and left at a 4.0 Grade Level (I teach 2nd grade). EVERYONE in my class grew at least "one year growth" (as we are told is our goal as a teacher).

That is just the numbers part of it. Invite her in to watch and "see it in action"... My principal was amazed, since then I have had many visitors into my classroom to learn how to do the Daily 5 and CAFE.

Good luck!
kelbel is offline   Reply With Quote

KittyLitter

Just Do It!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How sad that a principal won't listen to teachers who are not only MRTs but have SUCCESS! Daily 5 lends itself very well to RTI, one-on-one conferencing, groups, etc. and with your paperwork there is plenty of accountability. Does she come from a reading background? My principal does so that helps a lot but the assistant principal comes from a math background and doesn't get it at all!
KittyLitter is offline   Reply With Quote