Must keep the parents happy at all costs! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Must keep the parents happy at all costs!

>

MmeC

Must keep the parents happy at all costs!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Thank you.

Last edited by MmeC; 10-26-2013 at 10:55 AM..
MmeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

a disconnect
Old 10-26-2013, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You know I was thinking about me as I read your posts. I sometimes wonder if I has a disconnect mindset at times.

As things get piled on us so much, I often think about the laundry list of things I need to get done. Sometimes when I see that parent in the hallway and I smile and say, "Hi!", I later wish I had stopped to visit with them more--kind of a missed opportunity.

I was thinking about this the other day. I am going to try harder to not be so focused on my laundry list of things to do and notice the little things more--like parents I don't get to see often. I am the kind of teacher you described--dedicated, hard-working, successful, but I do tend to get focused on tasks rather than people at times.
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MmeC

Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't feel comfortable with this out there.

Last edited by MmeC; 10-26-2013 at 10:56 AM..
MmeC is offline   Reply With Quote
MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"A very vocal 1% of the parents routinely badmouths our teachers (especially those in my grade). This was occurring before I was hired and continues to plague us no matter how much we work. "

If year after year this is happening there must be some type of disconnect happening. It may be with the standards, it may be the grade that the attitude towards the students drastically changes by expecting much more responsibility from them all of a sudden or something of that sort.

I know that our local elementary school has a similar problem in a specific grade. I can tell you because I know many of the teachers there and many parents that had kids go through there that the big problem regardless of who is teaching that grade is there is a huge difference between the year before and that grade. There seems to be no working the students from one set of expectations to the next. It is like a brick falls on the students. Sure, test scores are good, but there is no gearing up for the expectations. One year certain things are completely acceptable. The fall comes and wham, all of a sudden things that were ok just prior to the summer are now "problems".

It could be something as simple as a failure to increase expectations in the prior year and failure to ease into the expectations in your year.

teenytiny

Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
My job is to teach students, not glad-hand the entire parent population at large.
You are absolutely right, and on your behalf- I am infuriated with your principal. The expectations that your principal is putting on you are ridiculous. If she knows she will never please everyone, then why can't she understand that the same is true for you? There are some people who make it their business to be dissatisfied, no matter what. For those people, you have to ignore and move on with your life. She should understand this and support you more.

She has issues, and all I can say is not to take them personally. It sounds like you don't take them personally yet, and have a strong sense of yourself, so I'd encourage you to continue knowing in your heart that she is being a jerk. Smile, tell her that you appreciate her advice, and then walk out her door and keep on your normal way and doing the good job you are already doing.

It can be very demoralizing to work for someone like this, so give your own self a pat on the back and listen more closely to the parents who appreciate what you are doing.

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
It could be something as simple as a failure to increase expectations in the prior year and failure to ease into the expectations in your year.
It could also be as simple as the parents being aware that this grade level has this reputation, and they enjoy the opportunity to feel self important and indignant and bash the grade level despite there really being nothing wrong at all. There is a certain percentage of parents that just strain to look for anything to complain about, and if there is already an established boat of complaints from previous years, they are happy to jump onto it.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote
MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Old 10-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your idea may also be right, Teeny. It is hard to say, but either way, there is a problem. It started somewhere and continues. It also impacts OP because apparently the P doesn't know exactly why it is happening either and is making the problem "personal".