Help

The Job Search

Advice on Starting w/o Credentials?

>

Algebro

Advice on Starting w/o Credentials?
Old 05-05-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hope not to raise a big debate on this. Over three decades ago, I attended education graduate school and then taught high school math abroad. I loved it. My students appreciated me (now, as adults, they are the biggest portion of my Facebook friends). But, sadly, I felt that my pay was going to create a challenge for me and my family, once I were to have one. So, I left teaching.

I have been involved in helping kids learn for over ten years, from volunteer and paid tutoring to homeschooling our younger son to creating and running enrichment classes for our kids' school.

I'm now at a point in my life where I can stop my current work and return to the classroom and I believe there is a strong demand for capable high school math teachers. But, I do not have credentials and I don't think I can spend years getting them.

I'm in San Francisco. Can anyone give me tips on how I might be able to land a high school math teaching job for this coming year? What I might need to to establish my credibility in the job?

Thanks much!

Algebro is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-05-2020, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know how to land a job without a credential right now. It seems that is highly dependent on whether or not there is a shortage of teachers.

However, when I did my credential, this is the program I went through: https://www.calstateteach.net/ and they specifically marketed it to adults who were already working full time in education.

It's still up and running, so presumably, there are still teachers working on their credential while working full time.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Multiple routes
Old 05-06-2020, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Every state has multiple routes to certification.

With HS math experience, I would look into some alternative routes through your DOE and then apply for jobs.

For high needs areas, which includes HS math, districts have some leeway and will help with licensing requirements.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 05-06-2020, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Private schools may hire you and not require anything further.

A Public high school may hire you if there is a sufficient shortage (as a math teacher, you may have a shot), but they will expect you to move forward with getting the credential while you are teaching.

If you already have a graduate degree in education, it won't take you years to get a credential. You may need to take a few education classes that are now required that weren't before. You will need to pass the subject area tests and some other state tests (if you were teaching math before, I am assuming your undergrad degree was in a related math/science type field and you have the educational background in math to be able to pass the math single subject test)

You will need to do student teaching as well. You may be able to do all of these things in the same semester. If not, two semesters max.

You can look into taking the classes and passing the tests this summer. You could do the student teaching this fall. You'd be all set, then, with a preliminary credential that will allow you to teach full time in any public school.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-11-2020, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Most private schools want a masters now, especially from a prestigious university is they are a college prep school.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote