Daily 5

question about book shopping

>

User Name 500

question about book shopping
Old 07-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I'm very excited to try D5 and CAFE this year with a third grade class. We are using a block schedule, so around 18 kids will come to me for two hours. I will not have them in a homeroom class, so all book-shopping and basket-filling will have to be done during our reading time.
Any advice? How much do you structure your book shopping time? Do kids do it as needed, or once a week? How do you manage kids that want to constantly shop, rather than read?
Thanks!

User Name 500 is offline   Reply With Quote

forever1st

I'm first but...
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

book shopping was no problem after some initial practice
(stamina ). I had the kids in groups for shopping assigned to days of the week at first. As the year went on, we had Accelerated Reading added and they could replace a book with a book as they tested. I allowed up to 8 books in their book baskets so having 1 day a week to shop wasn't a problem as they also had the AR book(s) along with their Guided Reading group book(s). No one seemed to become a Shopping addict. My classroom library is quite large and it is both picture and chapter at my grade level with kids from (aa-p) last year.
forever1st is offline   Reply With Quote

jerseygirl66

book shopping
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I posted a schedule. Only 4-5 kids per day could shop. Everyone shopped once a week as soon as they got into class. If they run out, I encourage them to re-read for fluency practice or use their leveled readers/ anthology until the next time they can shop.
jerseygirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote

kelbel

I do this...
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not sure if you are using book boxes with your students or not....

Each of my students have there own book box (from RGS) and I put a label Mon.-Thurs. on each one. The day they have on their box is the day they shop. During a set time each day (except Friday) they shop on their scheduled day. Usually about 6 students shop each day. This has worked really well.
kelbel is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I read an article from the weekly tips newsletter about this topic.

They mentioned before school, during recess, and regular library times. It seems these ideas won't work for you.

They also said that a teacher allowed kids to go shopping up to once a week during a round. They just would say "book shopping" as their choice. I like that idea as not all kids will need to go every week, especially as they get into chapter books.

kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

1hoppytchr

Weekly Book Shopping
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My class sits in groups and each group is a specific color--red, green, blue, yellow, orange and purple. How many groups changes each year with how many students I have. Each color group has an assigned day to book shop---it is part of that groups morning work. They work on their AM work, then they can go shop. If they need more time, they can shop at recess.
1hoppytchr is offline   Reply With Quote