Help

Second Grade

Engage NY Math ... Anyone?

>

kelbel

Engage NY Math ... Anyone?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are EXTREMELY struggling with these Math Modules. Our district has blindly adopted them and we are in a world of hurt. Anyone else in the same sinking ship that I am?

Help and guidance is needed. What math programs for Common Core are other using - please post!

kelbel is offline   Reply With Quote

GottaLoveKids

Sorry
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry you are having to deal with this!!! Our district uses Go Math! curriculum & we supplement a lot of CGI problem-solving. I love both & they align really well with the Core. Good luck this year!!!
GottaLoveKids is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I think NY
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is moving too fast. No one has time to read, get materials ready and implement these programs.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

choochie61

in NY also
Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Moves very fast with not enough materials to teach. Trying to supplement with whatever to get the job done. I'm sure it will be a lot or trial and error this year and maybe next. Companies are going to have to align their books to the CC in the future.I have heard that Go Math aligns very well with the CC standards. If nothing else...know that you are not alone!
choochie61 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissN

Old 10-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are using the modules, too. Definitely too hard, too fast. They mix way too many concepts into each lesson. Luckily, we are allowed to pick and choose which papers are best and don't have to do every problem set and homework set. We also don't have to treat it as a script, and we can teach it in whatever method we want, as long as we maintain the "rigor." We start Module 3 on Monday. Since we taught that one last year, we are a little more comfortable with it. We also were able to skip harder problems on Modules 1 & 2, because we know the kids will have developed more of the necessary skills to solve them during Module 3. Next year we might do Module 2 AFTER Module 3, because they'll be more able to work with the larger numbers in the word problems. I'm going to try teaching the lessons in small groups next week--not sure how it'll go.
I feel your pain! You are not alone!

MissN is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvTeaching11

Modules are Killers!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am glad to find your post. I teach 5th grade and my school is also using the modules. It would have made more sense to roll out the program, but instead the whole school is using it. The lessons are over the kids heads, especially upper grades who do not have the prerequisitie skills. Lessons are taking 2-3 days instead of the suggested 1 day! I am going crazy and so are my kids
LuvTeaching11 is offline   Reply With Quote
texasteach24

texasteach24

Modules
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The lessons are VERY dense. Sometimes I need to reread them 3 or 4 times to understand them. The worksheets are also not very kid friendly and the homework doesn't do a very good job at explaining the task to parents. Each lesson needs SO many materials and lots of transitions, and the daily pacing doesn't allow for any small group instruction. By the time I get through the Fluency, Concept, and Application, my hour is up.

That being said, I do like the instructional aspects. I think it goes a lot deeper conceptually than our previous spiraling curriculum (EDM). I like their sequencing of tasks. I like the application problems. I like the hands-on nature of the whole group portions.

I also think Module 1 moved really quickly, so ultimately you need to respond to the kids in front of you. Our kids did not have a solid background with tens frames and number bonds in 1st grade, so we needed to spend time on introducing those things. It took us longer than recommended but we're still on track and I am much more confident in my students' addition/subtraction skills this year because we used Module 1.

What has helped me was typing up a template that had a section for Fluency/Concept/Application/Materials Needed. Each morning I go through the Module Plan and jot down notes about what each portion will look like and that's what i keep in front of me for the lesson.

Anyone have tips on how to manage all the student materials?

BoxerApollo

I agree!!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes. We are using them too. I teach 2nd grade. I really don't feel like I'm effectively teaching math this year. We used to use Go Math and switched to the modules. I wish we'd go back. I understand the rigor, but it is so hard and complicated, not to mention that the kids missed the kindergarten and first grade steps that it is too hard.
BoxerApollo is offline   Reply With Quote

wehavefun

Math template
Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Would you mind sharing your template?
wehavefun is offline   Reply With Quote
HITaffy

HITaffy

2nd grade teacher
Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We just started using ENY this year as well. I love it and don't at the same time. What I love is the rigor. It really makes the kids think as well as uses ELA with Math. What I don't love is that I have been doing it as a whole group lesson, which eliminates the small groups that I really like to teach with. I feel that I am missing this element which could be so much more helpful to the kids. I recently read on-line that someone in 4th grade breaks it up a bit so I think I am going to try that. It is from AHH! Teaching. Also, what really helped us as a 2nd grade team was finding flipcharts on Promethean Planet that cover everything in the lesson and makes it SO much easier to teach. All lessons are on there for free, for now anyway. They are very well done. Hope this helps a little.