Help

ESL/LEP

Paperwork vs. Teaching

>

ToePikTeach21

Paperwork vs. Teaching
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently doing my student teaching with an ESL teacher. I am seriously considering getting my master's degree to become an ESL teacher because I love it so much. I find it very rewarding. I am unsure if the paperwork that comes along with the job is worth it. I have noticed that she isn't really working the students as much as I thought due to TEAM meetings. I understand the students need the help, but I have been there for over a month one day a week and not seen her interact with the second graders. Is it really a lot of paperwork and meetings or is it as rewarding as I think it is?

ToePikTeach21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigger518

Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At my school any meetings would happen after school. What are the meetings she has? I don't find the paperwork that much since I don't deal with other stuff a classroom teacher deals with. I don't think I'll go back into the classroom.
Tigger518 is offline   Reply With Quote

ToePikTeach21

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They call them TEAM meetings. Its the meeting with the parents, school vice principal, psychologist, counselor, classroom teacher,etc., and the ESL teacher to explain that they think there is something more than a language barrier and to get testing done. Each meeting takes forever since we have to have a translator or interpreter. The meetings always seem to happen around 9 or 10 and we don't get out of them until like 12-12:30ish.
ToePikTeach21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigger518

Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

humm maybe its just that time of year. At my school all those meetings happen after or before school. I've been to several and they never started until after 2:30. It may just be the school. I enjoy being an ESOL teacher and I'm glad I made the change. I do think it helps that I was a classrom teacher for 2 years. If you have enjoyed it then go for it.
Tigger518 is offline   Reply With Quote