ESL/LEP

I need ideas, first job

>

Flexteach

I need ideas, first job
Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here is a challenge I need some help on

I have just been hired to do a 6 week summer school program for K-3rd ESL students. I will only have about 10 students, but have no idea what ages/proficiency levels I will have, some may just be coming from Korea to visit. This is my first ESL job, though I did do the classes and internships during college.
I want to have the first 2 days planned, but not knowing the proficiency levels is really challenging me at this point. I have 3 hours a day to fill with Language arts and Math. I want to be able to have more or less an assessment of ability levels the first day without sitting down and doing formal assessments, keeping it fun but still time for me to make notes about each student.

So far I have: Reading the important book and having the students create their own using magazine cut out pictures, prompt pages (they will already have The important thing about me on them), and some copyable phrases for those that need help writing. So first day langauge arts taken care of. Any other ideas or advice in language arts will be greatly appreciated.
The big problem... MATH. With such range of ages what kind of activity could I possibly do?! I want to know if they know numbers in English or is that something I will have to teach them. How can I keep it fun and not worksheets.
Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated.

Flexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

thrill

thrill

Keeping ESL fun
Old 06-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree that you need to keep your lessons motivating for all ages! ESL can be difficult, because you don't want to overwhelm the kids, but you don't want to insult them either. I am familiar with The Important Book, and I wonder if that might be too difficult. I would save that lesson for another day when you are sure that they will get the idea of the book and be able to give you some words back that describe themselves. You want your finished product to be their work, not yours. How about starting with the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie book. I used that with a small group that i was tutoring. I had no idea what the kids already knew. it turned out to work really well. As I read the book a second time I asked them to point to certain pictures, and as they did I could tell who knew what. then I had some of the words on picture cards. we read them together and then played a little game, etc. you can imagine how I progressed from one activity to the other, each time getting a little more in depth and complex. It is so nice to work with a small group of students! I would integrate math into the book also, and have pictures of objects from the book. Of course we had cookies and milk as a snack. You could incorporate math with cookies or numbers of chips in a cookie. When you feed the kids, they learn! have fun.