Help

ESL/LEP

Telpas??

>

kutia

Telpas??
Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone given the TELPAS? I'm going to a training on it in October but I'd like to know a little about it beforehand. That way I can sound intelligent at the training. I have two LEP students in my class that I'll be testing. Thanks for any help, advice, general comments, etc.

kutia is offline   Reply With Quote

pinktxteacher

Telpas
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are two components to TELPAS.
One is the RPTE which is the reading test for ELL students in TX. It consists of progessively challenging reading and language tasks for students. Students are required to read and then answer questions about what they read. The farther they go in completing the test correctly the higher their comprehension score.

The second component is the TX Observation Protocols (TOP). This is an observation based assesment in which the teacher of record must use strict criteria to rate ELL student performance in Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing. The use of the criteria is critical especially in rating the writing of ELL's. Your rating must be such that anyone trained in TOP would pick up your student's writing samples and rate them exactly the same way that you have. If there are major discrepancies, your school or district could be put on some sort of monitoring plan.

You can go to the TEA website and download the released RPTE or the criteria charts for TOP.
pinktxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Just to add
Old 09-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I'm not mistaken, the RPTE is used only for 3rd-12th graders. I don't recall my second graders ever taking the RPTE.
Also, kindergarten and first graders do not need to have writing samples unless you are trying to exit the bilingual students (not ESL) out of the bilingual program (for 1st and 2nd only).
The TELPAS itself is not a test; it is a combination of things like the previous poster wrote. Only the RPTE is a test. K-2 don't have to take it.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote