Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Word Study

>

heddyb65

Word Study
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our county is switching spelling instruction this year to Word Study. I like the whole idea and I really want to be prepared when school starts back up in August. Does anyone have any words of wisdom about this? I've never used this before. I have Words Their Way so I think I'll start by reading that. Any advice appreciated.

heddyb65 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Word Study
Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To me word study is different from spelling in the respect that our students work to understand the entire word, its usage, its history, and how it relates to other words rather than just spelling patterns. I use simple graphic organizers to organize exactly what I want my students to know in order to "Own the Word."
Attached Files
File Type: docx OwntheWord.docx (16.7 KB, 209 views)
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

KittyLitter

Word Study
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This would work for all vocabulary words. Thanks for sharing.
KittyLitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Chloe_FirstGr

Wtw
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I LOVE Words Their Way. We use it in first grade and share kids. The assessment is super easy to figure out what area they need to work on (digraphs, blends, long vowels, ect) and it is easy to go a grade level up or below depending on individual need. I love it because it is so easy to differentiate and because it focuses on the spelling rules. Traditional spelling focuses on kids being able to spell 10 words a week leaving the child able to spell those 10 words. Words their Way teaches the rules and sort. So, regardless of what words are in it, the rule then transfers to other unknown words that they come to in reading. I also love that when introducing magic e for example, the kids are working with both long and short a so they are seeing/hearing/analyzing both instead of in isolation. Or one sort might be ew/ue words with the oddball "do." So, I like that it throws in sight words too that might not fit the pattern.

My kids learned the sort with me on Monday (read though the words, sort on the board, practice writing the word chunk on whiteboards, ect). Tuesday they would cut, sort, and glue the words into their word work books. Wednesday was either rainbow writing, illustrate 8, sentences, definitions (whatever work you think is important). Thursday we would have game day (spelling battleship, sparkle, ect. I have a giant list of games if you want them). Friday we would test! We would also send a hard copy of the sort home on Mondays so kids could practice at home too (there is a parent letter that comes with it I think with recommended ways to practice the sort). We love it at our school!
Chloe_FirstGr is offline   Reply With Quote

Chauliberty

List of Word Study Games?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi, Chloe! Thanks so much for the info. Can you share your games?

Chauliberty is offline   Reply With Quote