Help

Writing & Language Arts

Writing block for struggling writers

>

sunnyteach03

Writing block for struggling writers
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th in Florida. This year, my 1 hour writing block will be 30 minutes of i.i.i and 30 minutes of writing. An ESE teacher will be with me during this hour. Our plan is for each of us to take 7 kids. She will lead the i.i.i. and I will teach writing. After 30 minutes, we will swap groups and do the same.
I know 30 minutes isn't a long time for writers, especially poor writers who are going to have a hard time just writing a good sentence and coming up with ideas. I'm hoping though that 30 minutes of small group writing instruction will be more beneficial for them than 1 hour of whole group instruction, where they get less support. I also know that it is going to be hard to give them the practice they need in just half an hour.
So my question is, does anyone else here teach struggling writers? How do you pace and move through the year? In Florida, we have to teach narrative and expository writing. I use a mixture of Melissa Forney, Kathy Robinson, 6 Traits, and anything I think is beneficial. Any advice on how to make these 30 minutes effective would be greatly appreciated.

sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote