Help

Writing & Language Arts

any adjective hands on lesson?

>

oakbrook4

any adjective hands on lesson?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for a simple planning lesson on adjectives for 4th graders? Thanks for any help!!

oakbrook4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Popcorn
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only thing coming to mind would be to bring in a bag of objects. Ask the students to "pop" up with one word to describe the object (color, size, shape, etc). Set up rules such as; no repeats, stand only once per object, and so on. Then divide them into groups and give them additional objects and have them list ways to describe each object.

Or you can try a telecopic text, if you have a projector or SMARTboard, show this to your students. (tap on the grey boxes)

http://www.telescopictext.com/

MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've done something similar to the first reply above, but for third graders. I gave them a sheet with numbered blanks on it and had them go around to the numbers and answer the index cards.

At the first station, numbers 1 through 5, there were five small cardboard boxes upside down with arm holes in them, the students were to reach in and feel what was in each box, not pull it out, and write a word to describe what they felt on each blank 1 - 5. Second station 6 through 10, I did the same thing with more boxes, but had the kids bend down and smell what was in the box and describe it. Next station 11-15 just had kids count things (I wanted to make the point that how-many is answered with adjectives too) 16-20 was things to taste, individually wrapped or in baggies per child for sanitation purposes, and there were 2 blanks each, one for taste, one for texture. 21-25 were just 5 unifix cubes and they were to list the color, and then 25-27 (I had 27 kids last year) those were pictures from magazines of people and they were to use a word to explain the feeling that person was expressing. I just had them rotate around the room on counters, tables, and desks and everything was numbered so they wouldn't get mixed up. I rang a little bell to indicate when to switch.

We then came back together as a class and talked about the words that the kids had listed. I made a huge chart to organize some of the words they shared. Some kids inevitably listed things that weren't adjectives, especially in the last section with the feelings "happiness" but this gave us the opportunity to discuss how to change the word they shared into an adjective. Etc.

We didn't go into comparative adjectives -er and -est, but Im sure you could find a way to incorporate that if you needed to, etc.
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

oakbrook4

adjectives
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Miss Hopeful and Mrs. Pic thank you for the activities. I will use both of them. It's been a crazy first week of school with meetings everyday and little time to plan. Have a great year! Thanks again!
oakbrook4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher531

Poster
Old 09-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I student taught I had my students make an adj. poster. I gave them the materials and they cut adj out of magazines, newspapers, ect. I let them work in groups and hung the posters up on the wall.

teacher531 is offline   Reply With Quote

cbrown168

Rock activity
Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have students bring in a rock from their yard. Mix them up and have each student get one. They write about the rock using as many adjectives as they can. Read them aloud having the class try and guess which rock the student described. Kids enjoyed it and everyone can find a rock
cbrown168 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 09-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great idea cbrown, thanks for the tip! =)
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Here's my Adjective Menu
Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My students loved this lesson last year!
Attached Files
File Type: docx Appetizing Adjective Menu Project.docx (69.9 KB, 295 views)
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

booksrfun3

Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

1) Play charades to act out adjectives. (tall, short, happy, sad, etc.)

2) Play pictionary - draw pictures of adjectives. You could even do it by themes: autumn - adjectives: cool, crisp, windy, etc.
booksrfun3 is offline   Reply With Quote