Help

Writing & Language Arts

Writing Ideas

>

fourselfs

Writing Ideas
Old 09-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need to pick your brains. Our district participates every year in the National Day of Writing. It's October 20th. We get our elementary, middle school, and high school kids together to collaborate on a piece to share on that day. In the past we have done sidewalk chalk writing and the kids have loved it. This year we wanted to do something a little different. We are having our kids contribute a piece of writing and the other campuses will select those they think are best to share at a whole school assembly. Our kids will also be selecting pieces we like from the other two campuses. There will be some collaboration on the part of the smaller kids, but for the most part they will write the piece on their own.

This is where I need your brains. I need some ideas for writing activities. I do try to keep it short because my 3rd graders are not the best writers at this point in the year. The first year I did "The Best Part of Me" poems and last year we wrote haiku. Ideas anyone????

Thanks in advance.

fourselfs is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

In sticking with your poetry theme...
Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

how about an acrostic of either their names or the school's name? You could even do one with WRITING as the theme.
GiantSubs is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Letters to our Heros
Old 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you work with this as a theme? Writing letters is still a life long skill and everyone needs a hero!
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

How about Math Poetry?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Then you will combine two subjects of learning into the assignment. I love the book Math Poetry by Betsy Franco. It is filled with ideas for writing poems about different math concepts. Different grade levels could be assigned different poems or everyone could do the same one.

My favorite is called Fractions of Me. You write a poem about the different qualities you have. Like I am one sixth teacher, two sixths wife, one sixth mother, one sixth daughter and one sixth sister. There is more elaboration, but that gives you an idea. It also has a drawing that goes with it. Each child fills in their detail. Anyway it is a very cute assignment, that would have wide appeal across the grade levels in my opinion.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote