Help

Writing & Language Arts

Copper Sun?

>

Arogers82

Copper Sun?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone used this book before? I'm teaching 7th grade LA and our SS class is starting with slavery... I think it would be a great book to use. I was just wondering if anyone has taught it before and how their experience was. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Arogers82 is offline   Reply With Quote

pjsheart

Copper Sun
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't taught with the book, but I took time to read it this summer. It is well written and gives a full account of slavery from Africa to the states. It also details the strength and courage of two young girls whose perspectives are changed about each other race through their relationship with each other. There are some chapters that speak of rape and torture of the main character and the treatment of female Africans during capture and slavery. The book is definitely for a older, mature reader. You might want to pull different chapters to highlight the life of a slave. I hope this is helpful.
pjsheart is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

nice choice!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think Copper Sun is a beautiful book that is well written, and thought provoking, and gives insight to an important lens of slavery. I teach younger students so I ave not used the book in my teaching, but I think it would be ideal for 7th grade. Let us know how it goes!
kali is offline   Reply With Quote