Fun writing activities for the last week of summer school - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Writing & Language Arts

Fun writing activities for the last week of summer school

>

Plaidgirl

Plaidgirl

Fun writing activities for the last week of summer school
Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I'm teaching a five-week summer school class for a college-prep program. My students are 'rising ninth graders', and wonderful kids. They all take language arts with me and math with another teacher, as well as some non-academic activities in the afternoon.

My task with them was to guide them through writing a five-paragraph literary essay, and they are doing pretty well, although not excellent writers. My problem is that I've been so focused on getting them through their drafts that it's been a little dull. Their second drafts are due Monday, and we have five class days left.

What are some ideas you have for fun, engaging things to do while wrapping up an essay that might jazz things up a little? There are less than fifteen kids in a class, so we could do group things quite easily.

Thanks for all ideas!!

lovegrowshere

celebration?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about an 'end of the unit' celebration during which their writing is displayed and parents/friends can come? This isn't really something you could incorporate WHILE you're working on writing with them, so it may not be the idea you're looking for--however, it does tend to motivate kids' writing when there is a culmination activity at the end.

Hope it helps.

lovegrowshere
lovegrowshere is offline   Reply With Quote