Help

Writing & Language Arts

topic lists

>

thirdrocks12

topic lists
Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My partner teacher and I are implementing writers workshop this year and one of the things that we're using to help with generating ideas is recipe boxes filled with various topics for writing. We teach third grade.

I have a great list of character traits that I found on readwritethink.com, but can't find lists for the other topics.

I need one for:
characters
settings
problem/solution

We'd also like some story starters.
If anyone has any that they'd like to share, please let me know! I don't really want to come up with them all on my own!

thirdrocks12 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a 3-pocket chart that I use for this. At the beginning of the year I will do a reading minilesson on each of these components. As part of the lesson each student will create 2 or 3 index cards for each element (I try to get them to be a bit descriptive) . So the character lesson might yield:

a hairy monster
a 5th grade basket ball player
a family of martians

And the setting lesson might give me:

mrsG's backyard
in the middle of the Grand Canyon

etc, etc.

I will put these in my pocket chart, and from the kids will pull a card from each element and write a story about it. They are generally pretty funny, as the kids have to be very creative to unite some of the elements.

I will assign this writing project once or twice, but a lot of kids enjoy doing it and will do it multiple times throughout the year. Several of them will even make new cards for me when the choices get thin.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Settings in photos
Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Collect photos of places around the world (Target Dollar Spot even has these as laminated cards) and have your students select one from the pile. In order to practice setting have your students create creative descriptions of the photos. Once they've described two or three different settings (revised and edited, of course), then have them incorporate their setting into a story they are working on writing.

Character interview: to develop characters have them practice with a partner. I have a list of interview questions I have them ask each other. But I tell them that the idea is to get-to-know their character before they begin to write about them, so during the interview they must become the character they want to develop for their story and their partner will ask the questions and record their answers. By acting out their responses they seem to get some new ideas to add when they write about their character.

I'll attach the resource I used to develop this idea, but you'll want to create your own list for the needs of your students. They always thank me for this lesson, but I am working with middle school students
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Character interview.pdf (643.0 KB, 193 views)
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

liabby

try this website...
Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

PT member Hennegirl shared this website, which I thought was so cool for writing ideas --- dearphotograph.com
liabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Lalli82

Great Ideas!!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the great ideas! I really love the picture idea because it will give them a visual and I know with my students that is what holds them back when writing. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Lalli82 is offline   Reply With Quote