Help

Writing & Language Arts

Writing Sentences

>

kristyjo85

Writing Sentences
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching summer school to a group of kindergarten and first grade students. I am struggling with getting them to write sentences. During writing when I tell them I want sentences they just write one word. I have modeled what a sentence should look like, etc and they still don't seem to get it, many of them don't even put spaces between their words. I just got some space men for them to use during their writing to hopefully take care of that issue. However, the issue of getting them to write a sentence still lingers. I want to take them back to the beginning, what they should have learned in kindergarten, but I have never taught kindergarten so I am not sure what the best strategies are. If you have some ideas, I am eager to hear them and try them as I am at a loss for what to do.

kristyjo85 is offline   Reply With Quote

liabby

Here is an idea...
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a 7th grade teacher, so I am probably not the best person to help, but I think maybe getting them to say something orally first and then say "Great now let me help you write that down." We speak in sentences, and because I have a five year old, I know that kindergartners should be able to use complete sentences orally already. You are already trying to make it fun with the space men, that is a plus. Now try working on getting them to jot down maybe something somebody said about the space men. Emphasize that they are using sentences all the time when speaking!
liabby is offline   Reply With Quote