Help

Writing & Language Arts

Writing Binders

>

klj56

Writing Binders
Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I do Writer's Workshop with my 2nd graders. My students have a Writer's Notebook and a Writing Binder. So far I have a pouch with different colored pens and a dictionary in the binder. I'm not happy with the sheets I've put in it in the past. What do you put in your writing binders? If you can attach the sheets, I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you in advance!

klj56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Writing Binder
Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there! I too have a writer's notebook and a writing binder. I teach 4th grade so I don't know how much these resources will help you out. You could probably modify them. In my writing binder I include the following sheets in sheet protectors:
  • State Writing Rubric
  • Melissa Forney's Easy Way to Score
  • Revision & Editing Checklist
  • Writing Checklist
I actually have these 4 pages in my DOLPHIN Binder document found in my website www.sanchezclass.com in the Our Classroom section under DOLPHIN Binders (at the bottom of the page). Here's the direct link to the DOLPHIN Binders document I have there: http://www.sanchezclass.com/docs/DOL...ed-7-26-11.pdf

Along with these sheet protectors, I have 5 tab dividers labeled the following way:
  • My Writing
  • Narrative
  • Expository
  • Creativity
  • References
Most of the sheets behind these tabs come from Melissa Forney's books like Writing Superstars, Razzle Dazzle Writing, and Primary Pizzazz. Other sheets come from things I have created too which I have yet to post on my site.

Some things you could probably include in your 2nd grade writing binder are:
  • Sizzling Words or Million Dollar Words List
  • Punctuation List
  • Five Parts of Writing (Grabber, Topic Sentence, Middle, Ending, Zinger)
  • How to Write a Paragraph (Maybe the Hamburger Paragraph Poster)
  • A list of simple writing creativity skills your 2nd graders can use like: onomatopoeia, similes, million dollar words, dialogue, strong verbs, etc...
  • Color Words (a list with different ways to say each color like instead or red students can use: fire engine red, ruby, scarlet, etc...)
  • Revision & Editing Checklist
Those are some ideas. I hope this has helped you in some way. Best of luck to you!
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote