Help

Writing & Language Arts

Word Study

>

cre8ive

Word Study
Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teaching word study for the first time in fourth grade. Help!

cre8ive is offline   Reply With Quote

BJGates

BJGates

Word Study Journals
Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This year we decided to have "Word Study" Journals in our 4th grade classes. We use a spiral notebook. Our students have differentiated spelling list and glue those into their journals each Monday. For homework, they are required to write their words in rainbow colors, sort their words, and practice them outloud with a parent. All of this goes in their word study journal. On Fridays, we have our spelling test, which is also taken in the journal. Not only is spelling in the Word Study Journal, but also anything else that has to do with word study. Such as: learning prefix/suffix, root words, vocabulary, word collecting, and all sorts of words we might use in Writer's Workshop. I just purchsed Dinah Zikes foldable book (4th-8th grade) for vocabulary. Can't wait to start using it and adding foldables to my students' journals!

teacherinWA

Words Their Way
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Words Their Way is great!
Students take a spelling test that helps teachers figure out where students should be working. This helps differentiate to aid in student learning. Grouping students and then having them work for about ten - fifteen minutes a day during literacy is enough.
If you have an odd space of time this is something great to use too.
There are game and other tips that are helpful.
There is a Words Their Way curriculum instruction book which includes a DVD/CD.
I think there are 6 sets of individual books for word study for phonics, vocab, and spelling instruction and student workbooks. I have the book sets that are for the different areas. I do not like the student workbooks. Especially since you can copy the other stuff for students.
I think getting the curriculum book is fine to start out.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote