Help

Writing & Language Arts

Lucy Caulkins Writer's Workshop. Is

>

gunther922

Lucy Caulkins Writer's Workshop. Is
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

anyone using this? I teach fifth grade. I attended a workshop on this writing program during the summer. We have been using it since school started in September. Students have been gathering their "seed" ideas for people, places and things. Their first piece of writing is a personal narrative. I guess I am in need of ideas on how you got started. Picture books you would recommend to for teaching good beginnings? Character development? Do you use graphic organizers? If yes, I would love to see what you use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

penstero

Just Starting Lucy
Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have just adopted the Calkin's curriculum K-5, with fifth grade being in the middle school. I have just downloaded and starting reading "The Curricular Plan fro The Writing Workshop", Grade 5. It pairs the Calkin's curriculum with the common core and it talks about starting with memoir and using other units that are not in our curriculum that we purchased, so now I'm totally confused. My curriculum director believes we should not complete mastery (celebrations) on any book and just immerse our students on all 6 books. Is this what is supposed to be done when you first launch the curriculum? I am lost and really don't know where or how to proceed from here. We have done our seed stories but are working on leads now.
penstero is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Supplemental Help
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I suggest getting Ralph Fletcher's "A Writer's Notebook" and "How Writer's Work". There are a couple of others that I have too but cannot remember the names. One is about memoirs and is really helpful. The books are around $6 on Amazon and I think if you buy three you get the fourth free.

Anyway - I really like the Writer's Workshop because of the idea of students being able to work where they are and the idea of students practicing. I do not like the focus of celebrating after every unit. In my opinion I think students should continue to learn how to write and bring life into their writing through adding details, inner thought, dialogue . .

And for fifth graders editing is a big thing. The full publishing should have students picking their best pieces then fully editing and publishing then celebration. I think those that struggle writing fear and hate writing more when their is such an emphasis on the publish part. Not to say they cannot finish a story completely and edit - but I don't think they need to worry so much about the "publish" part.
If you have the DVD that goes along with the curriculum they have a lot of extra material to aid the units, which includes a list of books.
I use a T-chart for the character development and a other graphic organizers to help students brainstorm. (web)
The Fletcher books are your best bet. They are short (100+ pages) and include examples, student and his own.
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote