Help

ARCHIVE

Classroom Themes??

>

cbillz

Classroom Themes??
Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone explain how you use your classroom theme all year? This is my first time on PT and I've been reading a lot about themes. I've been teaching several years and no one in my building uses a theme. I would really appreciate some clarification. Thanks!!!

cbillz is offline   Reply With Quote

cayseigh

Themes
Old 07-29-2008, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used Military last year. I made my discipline chart on camoflage paper and the kids started as generals, then each time they got in trouble their rank dropped (which also removes points from their citizenship grade). We had bathroom passes that looked like dogtags, I had Second Grade: Battling to be the Best, on my door along with those foam-shapes (tanks) and camo plastic tablecloth as part of the door decor. I also have had a classroom pet lizard for 4 years now. I had a skink for 3, but it died, so my husband bought a bearded dragon. We named him Tank. The kids LOVE lizards. I'm unfortunately not very brave and so he came periodically and took it out and everyone got to touch it, while we cleaned the cage.
Anyway, last year's theme was great!
cayseigh is offline   Reply With Quote

AtTheGrove

Year around...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My principal has always picked a theme for the entire school, and that is what I run with. Making it last all year is not challenging when the administration and every other teacher in the school touches on it somehow.

If you are just doing one on your own you can make it last all year by incorporating it into ideas in your classroom that last all year...like Jobs, Behavior Mngmt, etc. For example, this year my school's theme is "Lights, Camera, Action,...Its Showtime." My "jobs" chart this year will say "stage hands". Also, for our Word Wall, instead of putting up plain punch-out letters I wrote each letter of the alphabet on a die-cut shaped like a little camera. Just little things like that, that you know will be around all year. I also do my bulletin boards to match the theme.....Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any ideas!
AtTheGrove is offline   Reply With Quote