Help

ARCHIVE

Tattoo...

>

Teacher Bean

Tattoo...
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know that tattoos can be an iffy subject. I'm a second grade teacher and have a tattoo on my ankle. I'm wondering whether to keep it covered throughout the year by wearing pants. (I did this last year with my 5th graders), or just not worry about it and hope that it doesn't cause much of a stir. I'm actually more worried about the parents, I'm pretty sure the kids would get over it quickly. My school doesn't have a rule about it and I know other teachers who don't cover their tattoos. I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons and wondering what the consensus from other teachers might be. Thanks!

Teacher Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

funteacher7

Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it is not an offensive tatoo I don't think it should be a problem. Since your school doesn't have a rule against it, it should be fine.
funteacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My boss had one on her ankle and most people don't look there, but it depends on how big it is. If it is huge then I would keep it covered. If it is small then I see no problem with it as long as it is in good taste.
Chimneygrl is online now   Reply With Quote

only4Him

ha ha ha
Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My daughter is...at this very moment that I read this...getting a tattoo on her ankle! It's a shoe (she's a runner) with her favorite Bible verse. I'm sure it's probably okay as long as it is not offensive. Tattoos seem to be "in" right now.
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

teachfla

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So many of our parents have them that it's no longer a real issue at my school!

teachfla is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a fellow teacher in my building that has a small ankle tattoo in memory of a loved one who passed away. It's nothing offensive, so I think as long as yours isn't either, it could be fine. Depending on the make up of students and parents in your school, I don't think any of them will care all that much. You can have a tattoo AND be a great teacher at the same time!
conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our grade 5/6 teacher has one on her ankle. She doesn't keep it covered. I have one on my lower back, which I obviously DO keep covered. My principal saw it one day when I leaned forward at a social event at his house, and asked what it said (it's a line of poetry). He didn't bat an eye. My grade 8s knew about it (again, catching glipses when I was reaching up to get things), and other than asking what it said, didn't bat an eye either.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

My daughter is now done.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

She just called to say her tatoo is officially done. She's going out to icecream.
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

goldenbeads

Depending on what it is . . .
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't even think of my ankle tattoo. If a student asks about it, I give them the simplified version of it - it tell them it's an angel (false) or an ancient Egyptian goddess (true).

My kids' parents haven't said anything about it. (Of course, many of them have at least one of their own.)

Would they really have a chance to? I mean, if your kids' parents are studying your tattoos, you might have other issues to worry about.
goldenbeads is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPsop

Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also have an anklet tatoo. I am not ashamed of it! I don't take any precautions to cover it. Nor, to I purposely show it off.

Never had anything negative said about it. My sixth graders thought it was cool, so did my first graders.

A co-worker once told me it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. If someone calls you on it, then keep it covered.

MrsPsop is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have an ankle tattoo that is really pretty and just small. I've never worried about covering it up. I've had kids notice it before and they just like it because its pretty.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kristen

I have one too
Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have an ankle tattoo that is not very small. It is a dragonfly and wraps around 1/2 of my leg. I teach at a higher income school and the parents have not seemed to mind at all. I have not hidden it at all. I also have my nose pierced.

I am going into my 10th year of teaching, 6 at a junior high/high school and 3 at an elementary school. I was somewhat concerned when I started at a new school last year with highly involved parents. As long as you are a good teacher parents don't seem to care.
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPsop

Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow! Kristen! I was asked by the president of our teachers' union, on my first day on the job, to remove my eyebrow piercing.
MrsPsop is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsGardener

Thanks for posting
Old 08-06-2008, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm glad someone asked this question... I was wondering the same thing about my ankle tattoo! The replies have validated my original thought that a tattoo doesn't make (or break) a teacher. Thanks, again!
MrsGardener is offline   Reply With Quote

pooh_girl

tattoos and well piercings (sorry, long)
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This has been a iffy area for me. I have 3 tattoos, most cannot be seen unless I lean forward and shirt slides up to show lower back tattoo. My Winnie the Pooh is sometimes seen if I have a sleeveless top on but mostly you cannot see it. Kids can be briefly distracted by it, but it passes. Parents haven't said anything to me about them. I want one more, on the back of my neck. I plan on getting it before school starts so I am not shocking kids mid-year. I find they take much of their attitude from me. If it seems like something I am hiding, they will make a big deal out of it.

Piercings (since they haven't been mentioned) has been another issue. I used to have my tongue pierced as an intern/long-term sub/student teacher. It was back further than most but yes kids did catch the little shine sometimes. My nose is also pierced with a little diamond stud. I dress pretty conservative most of the time so many times people don't even notice these. Well on the very last day of school, after doing 2 years of service for these folks, I was told that I do not teach in the East Village (NYC reference). I have to be more concerned about my appearance as the parents were talking about it at the car wash.

I was annoyed with this administrator as it would have been nice to hear thank you for giving us two years of your life and doing a good job, but no he personally attacks me. I have over time taken the tongue ring out but nose ring still exists. I did not wear it when I had my interview and choose to wear it as a teacher. I was told by that principal it was my choice whether to wear it or not but be prepared some parents might speak. Well it hasn't been an issue and quite frankly I have proven myself as a teacher. I think where it is now well known I teach yoga it is less of an issue as nose piercings are tradition in the Indian culture. Again many times, people don't even notice it.

So unless your tattoo is like totally obnoxious don't worry about it. Even though I teach in a urban district we have some very uppity suburban parents. You just have to keep that attitude of it's no big deal and what's important is how you teach their kids.
pooh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My A.P. has one on her ankle.....shows all the time, wouldn't worry
AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex

Tattoos
Old 08-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I teach in an elementary school in an affluent and highly educated area. Parents play a very "active" role in our school if you know what I mean. I have a military tatoo high on my upper arm...it's not big but if I wear short sleeves and stretch my arm you can see it. I also have a Master's degree and am National Board Certified.

About halfway into the year the president of the PTO, in casual conversation, comment that it was "so very nice of me" to keep my tatoo covered so as not to give the kids the "wrong message." It was obvious one of the kids did see it and informed their parents who feared it might be the wrong message for a teacher.

I told her, in a very nice manner , that I got the tatoo in Vietnam where I thought I was protecting her and her daughter's right to vocalize just those kinds of thoughts.

Next day my principal convenes a meeting to share with us the administration's position on tatoos. You guessed it, no visible tatoos.

Her thoughts were that eveyone has the right to do what they want with their body. Conversely, she said that as we live in a "right to work state" that the administration has the right to hire and maintain those teachers who reflect the "...high moral and social mores of the community."

Next day 4 female teachers had "Ace" bandages around their ankles covering their ankle tatoos (including our counselor).

I should add the tatoo was not gory or obscene if you will...just "Semper Fi" on top with a rifle and flag and "Chu Lai" on bottom.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

AtTheGrove

Just be you...
Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Don't cover up! Be comfortable! Just ask yourself this: Does my tattoo keep me from doing a really great job? The answer is NO!

I am a teacher and I have a half sleeve on both arms, tattoos on my wrists, back of my neck, across the front of my chest, etc. All kid-friendly images...Now, while I don't wear tank tops to school or sleeveless shirts, my tattoos show and stick out of what I do wear. If I wasn't comfortable, I couldn't do my job.
I have never had a complaint, and my students know they are not up for discussion. Let your work as a teacher shine...they'll never notice the tat.
AtTheGrove is offline   Reply With Quote

AtTheGrove

Oh....
Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

P.S. I have pink hair too....
AtTheGrove is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher Bean

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I appreciate all the input! A lot of what you guys have said goes along with what I was thinking and that makes me feel good.
Teacher Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

AmberEB

Tattoos
Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have a tattoo on my wrist, one on top of my foot, and a few that are covered by my clothing as well. I do not cover either of my visible tattoos up. My kids ask if it hurts to get a tattoo and I reply YES. I have never had a parent complain about my tatttoos. Let them complain. What's the principal going to do, make me remove them?????
AmberEB is offline   Reply With Quote