Help

Fifth Grade

Morning Work/Routines?

>

ellie523

Morning Work/Routines?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the Morning routine for students in your classroom?

What challenges have you encountered with Arrival and what did you you do to address them?

What do your students do for Morning Work? Do you assign a grade for Morning Work?

I'm trying to get ideas for grade appropriate routines. Thanks for your help!

ellie523 is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Routines
Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students:
  • enter quietly, unpack, get supplies & items for 1st class
  • sharpen pencils
  • turn in any homework/notes from home/important papers
  • copy agenda items from ppt display
  • begin journal topic, daily warm-up or read library book
The biggest problem with arrival is when the students are too busy talking/socializing instead of getting their things together and getting to work. I'm using a positive awards system in my room, so when I see the kids that ARE doing what they're supposed to do (without my constant reminders and re-direction) they receive a stamp. When they fill their stamp-sheet, they receive a fun-pass or prize.

I do not take a grade on Morning work unless they are told to finish an assignment as their Morning routine. I usually assign a Daily Language/Reading warm-up (Drops in the Bucket or some similar warmup). At the beginning of class, we discuss the answers and they check their own. At the end of the week, they complete an assignment (using the skills from the week's warm up) as a daily grade.

Kelly
KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I generally don't have morning work, I just get them started in to whatever subject is first thing. There is some sort of reading or writing or problem solving activity that they start on after unpacking that is just part of the lesson for the day.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ellie523

drops in a bucket
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I need a new Morning Work and have been looking at Drops in a Bucket, do you like it? I have used Daily Language Review in the past (2nd grade) but didn't like it so much. I didn't feel like my students applied what they practiced in their writing. So I was looking for a better approach. I was thinking either Drops in a Bucket or Mountain Language/Math. I am leaning toward DIAB because it's cheaper and doesn't take up a whole bulletin board. Any input about it would be great.

Do you start with level C or level D? Have you used the Math as well? Do you make the end of the week assignment that you take a grade on, or just pull a similar resource? Thanks again for all your help.

ellie523

now that's an idea!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One thing that always frustrates me about Morning Work is how much time it takes! Another frustration I had with Daily Language Review is that rarely actually correlated with what we were learning in class at that moment, so it seems somewhat unrelated to the rest of the day.

Do you just write the assignment on the board?

AtTheGrove

Journal time!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have kids keep a daily journal. Have a new prompt every day (you can Google something specific for every day...like Nat'l Hug day...Clean up Clutter week, etc. There is always something special). Also...if you have a CD player, etc get the Mission Impossible song..turn it on once the door opens, they have until the song is over to be in their seats and beginning their work.

I do a classroom economy...my kids get paid for being on task. They love earning $$$!
AtTheGrove is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Drops in the Bucket
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have used a combination of Drops/Bucket, Daily Language Review, and other resources to make a Warm-Up Packet (title it Language Warm-Up)

I usually put a Drops page, review page and parts of speech page and make copies of all to put in the packet. Mountain Language is good, too, but I don't have the board space to put up ML to use each day...the packet works better for me.

For DRBucket, I'll probably start out with Level C at the beginning of the year, but move quickly to level D...I only teach Reading/LA, so I haven't used the Math portion.

For the end of the wk assignment, I give them a copy of the same type of page that they've had all week.
(Editing/Revising a paragraph, DIAB and usually the Parts of Speech focus)

Hope that helps!
Kelly
KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

Morning work
Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Journals or problem solvers are always nice.
I've used math practice from this company in the past.
http://www.growpub.com/

I've also us white board boggle. Which I got from another PTer but I'm not sure who (Thanks for however posted it before). My kids loved it they really got good at looking for word patterns too.
http://www.teacherled.com/resources/...rdiceload.html
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

magnolia57

Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have used either math drill or Daily Oral Language for the first 15 minutes of the day. We check them together, but if they are late, they must complete them later or during recess. Occaisionally I will take a grade from math drill, and once a week or so, I grade a Daily Oral Lang. Kids can work on these during announcements and while I'm taking role. I love this constant review of previously taught skills. I have them scanned in Smart Board documents. Because they are numbered by week, the kids come in each morning, turn on the computer, LCD projector, and find the week we are on. They put it up and begin working. This "job" is one they buy with good behavior tickets.
magnolia57 is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When my students come in in the morning, they:

* turn hw in to the bin (they have the folders out already in line so they just have to quietly place it in the bin)
* take a morning message
* go to seat
* begin to work

ALL of this is done silently and immediately. Within 2 minutes of entering the room, all of my students are working.

As far as what they specifically doing in the morning message, I have the message written for them. I type my morning message in friendly letter format each day and have copies for each of the students. In the message I always focus on the standards that they will need to know for 5th grade (figurative language, basic punctuation and grammar, combining sentences, identifying parts of speech, etc...) Students identify prepositional phrases, for example, and combine a few of the sentences (which I usually identify with italics) They then need to write back to me, adding in the focus skill of the day.

I try to write the letters with a preview of the day, or a review of an important concept that we have been learning about. When the students respond to me, I have them write in friendly letter format as well, working on not only the skills that we were reviewing, but on basic writing skills as well.

I find the morning message to be quite beneficial, as it focuses on the skills and concepts that the students will need to master by the time they leave 5th grade. I am able to embed those key standards that need to be repeated quite often for it to sink into their brain. I can do all of this within context, so that the students are able to recognize it in many different forms, instead of just give a worksheet of conjunctions, you know? I LOVE morning message and find it incredibly useful.

StephR is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

I have...
Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

the students come in and unpack, sharpen pencils, turn in forms, open homework for me to see, write down homework, and start morning work.

Their morning work is usually a journal assignment, if they don't finish it before 8:45 they finish it at lunch. I don't assign a grade for morning work.

The challenges are the kids that have jobs outside of the classroom. I addressed this by not starting actual teaching time until 8:45.

trishg1

Old 07-23-2010, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I guess you are asking me- it's hard to tell the way I have the posts set up.

Anyway, my first subject last year was science or social studies. Students start coming at 7:45, class starts at 8. They would come in, unpack, and start working on a lab activity in science, begin reading in the textbook, take a quiz from the previous day, investigate a primary source and write a response. I start teaching pretty quickly (unless they are working on a lab).
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Morning Work
Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My morning routine:
Students come in silently and
1) take out homework and assignment book and leave it on desk for me to check
2) sharpen pencils
3) begin morning work

I take attendance and walk around and do homework check-in (I can do it in 5-7 minutes).

The biggest problem is talking/off task. I pay Character Cash if they are on task and they pay me if they are off task. Works like a charm and VERY quickly in the year.

My morning work is either word ladders or math problem solving (I alternate weekly). I did find my kids had better writing skills with DOL but the word ladders and math problem solving are more valuable. I alternate to avoid boredom. AM work can take 15-20 min. depending on MY mood!
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

calicocookie

Morning Message
Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've done this with younger students and have trouble envisioning iy for fifth grade. Would you be willing to share a sample so I can better understand?
calicocookie is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

calicocookie
Old 07-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Here is a sample of what I give my kids for morning message. This particular sample weighs heavily on figurative language, but I don't always focus on that. Sometimes I put many conjunctions, adjectives, or prepositions. Sometimes there is no punctuation, or too much punctuation. Other times I want them to combine many, many sentences. Sometimes there is a lot of grammar to fix, sometimes none at all. It all depends upon the day and what we are studying at the time.

(the sentences in italics are to be combined by the students...they know this ahead of time)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Morning Message Sample.doc (27.5 KB, 190 views)
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

jhancock35

Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

How do you use the money idea. I am going to be teaching departmentalized reading this year. That's alot of students to pay and give prizes, or how do you reward them with the money they earn. How does the money system work? Thanks!
jhancock35 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I do Character Cash and so I pay the kids for making good choices and they pay me for making poor choices. If they have all their homework and assignment book signed I pay them.

Also, at the beginning of the year (and throughout the year to keep the trained and on their toes ) when they come in and follow procedure, I pay them. You would be amazed at how fast it is to train them! You can pay them and have have them "buy" prizes that don't cost anything:

-lunch in the classroom with friends and teacher
-sit in teacher chair
-write with gel pen for a day
-homework pass
-gum in class (I would not allow this, but some people do)
-sit next to a friend for a day

I personally get cheap, easy prizes from the dollar store or the party store but if you have a lot of kids, free might be better. Mine are responsible for holding on to their money and they can either spend it when we have store or save it for something bigger.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
liz whiz

liz whiz

drop in the bucket
Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

i love those i assign them for homework since i am a math teacher