Help

The VENT

Think they could tell us first?

>

checkerjane

Think they could tell us first?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Weíre just getting snippets of our re-opening plan, and the way weíre getting the snippets is through district reminds they send to parents.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 07-02-2020, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is similar here. No plans coming out yet, but announcements made by the district are sent to parents via messaging, posted to the school district facebook page, and then emailed out to staff in that order with the exact same information and wording.
They've surveyed parents twice so far about their thoughts on how spring went and feelings about mask wearing at school. Teachers and staff have not been surveyed (unless they are parents in the district also) about how we feel or felt.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 07-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The preliminary plan is on the district website, 30 days to fine tune/argue about it and final plan released July 30. Oh yeah and school starts August 17. Good luck with that. So glad lm just a sub. Stay strong everyone!
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school board got mad because they released the plan to the media, without telling them (or us) first. I don't know why districts do that. A basic level of respect for your employees would say you tell staff first!

And they have never asked for our opinion about it, though they are surveying parents/families.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district has a reopening task force and announced who the members are: tons of Central office staff, 2 elementary, 1 middle, and 1 high school principal. Of course, not a single teacher.

dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

Typical
Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my district, itís pretty typical for kids and parents to know pertinent things before teachers. Itís annoying.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 07-02-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here in Australia, we found out what was happening in schools via the State premier announcing it on the evening news. When she announced we were going back full time, on zero notice and against all previous plans, we texted our principal, who texted his superior, and the response was "we found out the same way you all did". It's disgusting and completely disrespectful.

But, that's what the whole process has been as far as respect or consideration for teachers has been.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 07-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Here in Australia, we found out what was happening in schools via the State premier announcing it on the evening news. When she announced we were going back full time, on zero notice and against all previous plans, we texted our principal, who texted his superior, and the response was "we found out the same way you all did". It's disgusting and completely disrespectful.

But, that's what the whole process has been as far as respect or consideration for teachers has been
Yes! Thatís a perfect way to articulate it!
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My District
Old 07-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district's school board voted on our district plan Tuesday night.

Teachers were sent exactly what the board would see on Tuesday morning. Parents were sent a brief summary of what the board would see on Tuesday morning also. IMHO, it is a very well-thought out plan.

By mid-July, parents will be sent a survey to find out what their preference is for each of their children. Then the district will be able to figure out locations for the hybrid model, how many students will be participating in the virtual model, and how many students will be returning to the in-school model. This data will be used to figure out staff for each of these models.

I am very pleased with the steps my district has taken in writing these models.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 07-02-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
By mid-July, parents will be sent a survey to find out what their preference is for each of their children. Then the district will be able to figure out locations for the hybrid model, how many students will be participating in the virtual model, and how many students will be returning to the in-school model. This data will be used to figure out staff for each of these models.
Guess what? Our district hasn't even asked parents what their plans are. I know some parents are planning to keep their kids home and continue online no matter what, others would be wiling to send their kids to school under certain circumstances, and others would send their kids back to school under any circumstances. Has the district offered any options to parents? Does my district know the numbers of what parents are planning? Nope.

They also don't know the numbers of how many teachers will be back. Some teachers really can't take the risk of in-person schooling due to health conditions of themselves or someone in their household. Have they asked any teacher about that? Nope.

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote