Help

BusyBoard

Masks with clear plastic

>

VivianCP

Masks with clear plastic
Old 07-11-2020, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, we just learned that we are going back, in person, all day, in the fall. Things are getting REAL!

Has anyone had experience with the masks with the clear plastic for the mouth? I have seen some online but am wondering if they are one use only. Etsy has some reusable ones with the clear plastic but then how do they hold up? What about washing them?

If you have any experience with these type of masks, please enlighten me!

VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No experience ó but I ordered one that should get delivered next week from an Etsy seller here in the states.

I really think they will fog up ó but Iím willing to try one! Itís so tricky to order a mask ó so many types and options! I have to make sure itís pleated, cotton, and has a nose wire of some sort.
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-11-2020, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No experience with them myself, but it seems like you can't help it from fogging up.

Also, I'm sure SLPs would definitely have to wear those see-through masks too because one of the main things is teaching them how to produce speech sounds. The complicated thing that I just thought about is that kids taking speech therapy would have to wear those kinds too so the SLP can ensure they're practicing it correctly. Just them wearing regular masks, the SLP can never tell if the kinds are doing it right.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Comfort
Old 07-11-2020, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was wondering about the comfort level of those masks. How is it to breath with them? I finally got use to the feeling with other masks, so I'm curious about the clear face one. Also, how does it feel against your skin?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 07-12-2020, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A friend wore herís when we passed out report cards. It immediately fogged up and she said it was impossible to breath through.

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Fogging up?
Old 07-12-2020, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last night 🌙 I was watching YouTube how to videos to prevent your glasses from fogging up when wearing a mask. The only method that seemed successful was to fold a tissue into a narrow strip and place the folded edge toward your eyes under the nose bridge of the mask. That obviously wouldn't work to prevent the mouth shield from fogging.

I thought it was amusing how detailed some of the instructions were telling how to fold a tissue.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Face shields
Old 07-12-2020, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A local district has stated that they will provide teachers with face shields so that they can do a better job of teaching. Hmmm, medical professionals wear masks under face shields. I'm pretty sure that they are for preventing fluids getting into the eyes or on the skin. How are they supposed to help reducing the transmission of the virus if you don't use a mask, too?
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-12-2020, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. My school said PreK & K could wear face shields but like Singvogel said, that doesn't prevent droplets from around the edges of the shield. I would still wear a mask. Totally did not think of the fogging up aspect! Duh!

Quote:
The only method that seemed successful was to fold a tissue into a narrow strip and place the folded edge toward your eyes under the nose bridge of the mask.
Did they try the defogging spray & the wash with soap method?

I just hate the idea of teaching kids all day, kindergartners, without them being able to see my face, my mouth when doing phonics and my smile.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district is purchasing the clear masks for some positions, including mine specifically because of phonics instruction. I haven't seen which ones they got yet, but when I heard this I googled it and apparently if you get the legit ones they have some sort of anti-fog thing on them. I'm not sure what the district bought but I'm sure it wasn't from Etsy .

I AM worried that they will be even more uncomfortable than regular masks, because obviously plastic is not one bit breathable. Before I heard the district plan, I was planning to get disposable ones because they're so much more lightweight, breathable, and comfortable- and since the ear loops aren't elastic they don't rub either.

I'm going to see how it goes before I run out and buy something, but if my suspicions are right I may wear the district provided mask ONLY when teaching phonics to my younger kids and then switch to my disposable one when teaching math or older kids who aren't doing things like worrying about mouth position.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Singvogel
Old 07-12-2020, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

All the pictures I've seen show face masks worn with the face shield. The shield is an extra bit of protection.

If anyone is interested in face shields, there are lots of diy directions on line. A local company is using overhead projection sheets for the clear part. There may be some somewhere in your school or in a veteran teacher's stash.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

VivianCP
Old 07-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In the videos I watched the soap method didn't work. The 2 most successful methods were folding the tissue, in a very particular way. You'd be amazed at the number of videos on that topic alone.

Another successful method is to use double sided fashion tape or clear surgical tape. I tried it last night and thought it worked well as long as you avoid the sensitive skin below your eyes. While the tape is for single use it you pull it off a paper mask carefully, it won't tear the mask.

I just had a lightbulb moment!
Bandaids can also be used. If you have children who wear glasses you could try using character baindaids. They might enjoy that!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote