Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

washing hair at night

>

dusty

washing hair at night
Old 04-21-2022, 11:00 AM

I wash and blowdry my hair at night but when I wake up in the morning my hair already seems greasy. I've tried different pillow cases and different shampoos but nothing seems to work. If I sleep on my back then my bangs do not look greasy the next day but the back of my hair does, unless I sleep on my side & my bangs are touching the pillow then my bangs appear greasy also. I wash my hair every other night with shampoo, no conditioner
Any thoughts?

Last edited by dusty; 04-21-2022 at 12:00 PM..
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 04-21-2022, 11:21 AM

Are you using any conditioning products? How often are you shampooing?

It seems counterintuitive, but I've found that washing my hair less often actually helps keep it healthier.

It may be an old wives' tale but I think that washing too often causes the the skin on the scalp to produce more oils to counteract the drying effects of shampoo.

I wash my hair 2-3 times per week, usually at night although sometimes in the morning. I only blow dry once per week but I do occasionally use a curling iron or straightening brush.

I use Aveda moisturizing shampoo and tea tree oil conditioner, and then Aveda leave in conditioner and let it dry naturally.

Last edited by word girl; 04-21-2022 at 12:40 PM..
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM

My hair is greasy too. At 60, I'm finally at a point where I can skip a day washing it without feeling icky all day. Even washing it the night before never worked.

I have tried weaning myself off of daily washes many times over the years but it never stuck until now because I just felt greasy.

Last edited by MKat; 04-21-2022 at 03:20 PM..
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 04-21-2022, 12:30 PM

I moisturize my face at night and believe the moisturizer absorbs into my pillow case. I'm a side sleeper and often in the morning my sides looks oily. I wash my pillowcases often and try to remember not to apply moisturizer right before bed giving it time to absorb.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

hair problem
Old 04-21-2022, 02:30 PM

I've not had this problem because my hair is too dry, but what about using those dry shampoos in the morning?

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Hair
Old 04-21-2022, 02:45 PM

Iím also in my early 60ís and still have to wash my hair everyday or it is flat and can be greasy. Iíve tried everything but itís just my straight, flat hair. My daughterís have thick curly hair and can go days with washes. My solution was to cut it short so that it only takes minutes to blow dry.
Teach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 04-21-2022, 03:33 PM

66 here and still need to wash my hair every two days or it looks like I havenít washed it in a month. I wash my hair in the morning so I at least have one decent hair day. Can you wash it in the morning instead?
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 04-21-2022, 04:01 PM

hmmmm

i wash mine 2-3 times a week (mostly 2)--i have long, thick, curly/wavy hair. i wash it at night--use shampoo, then rinse-out conditioner. let it air dry for about half hour then put in Shea curl booster cream. let air dry for half-full hour and go to bed with it still damp. it always looks best the next day--following days are frizzy. i never ever use a blow dryer or curler/flat iron. (otherwise i wouldn't get away with 1-2 trims a year.)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-21-2022, 04:15 PM

I don't really have oily hair but sometimes I go on camping trips in places without showers. When I do this, I wash my hair ahead of time with a clarifying shampoo and rinse it with a vinegar and water solution, infused with something like rosemary or juniper. This will usually give me 3-4 days before my hair starts feeling greasy and my scalp starts itching.

I don't know if this would work in your situation. I wouldn't do this when I need to look professional because my hair is a bit wild, anyway, and this treatment would make it completely uncontrollable if I didn't put it in a french braid. But if you don't have uncontrollable hair, it might be fine.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-21-2022, 04:50 PM

That's just how my hair is- washing at night would never work for me for that reason. Like a pp, I wash in the morning so that I have at least one good hair day. I refuse to wash it every day, so every other day I use dry shampoo instead. It helps only a tiny bit. If it's a weekend/summer day where I don't have any big plans, I'll just put it up and let it go 3-4 days. Any more than that and my scalp starts to get itchy/painful.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote