Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dumb Question: Is this ok?

>

neanea

Dumb Question: Is this ok?
Old 05-20-2022, 02:32 PM

Ok, I am sure this is a dumb question, but as a teacher would you consider ok if you taped a student's shoes on so they couldn't remove them? No tape on skin, all on clothing. Said child can not put his own shoes on (elementary age). Is it ok to apply essential oils to a student without parental consent. Is it ok to run a diffusor in your room for over 30 min at a time?

If you were a parent and you found out this happened to your child would you trust the teacher's judgement or would you be furious?

edit to add: Sorry I forgot to specify. The children are special needs. The shoes were a down syndrome child's who kept kicking them off.

Last edited by neanea; 05-20-2022 at 03:03 PM..
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-20-2022, 02:52 PM

No to all, but why can't the child put their own shoes on? ( can't put on, or can't tie them?) What age in elementary?
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-20-2022, 02:52 PM

I'd be asking questions and alarmed but I would approach it in a calm and rational manner. I would not want any of that to be happening to my child and would say so in a kind manner.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 05-20-2022, 02:57 PM

Oils and diffuser are a hard no. The only reason tape shoes ever be applied to shoes is if the shoe is coming apart and you don't have a pair to give the child at the time.

I would not like any of these things at all.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 05-20-2022, 02:58 PM

Um. No. No taping shoes on. No putting oils on a child.
Running a diffuser in the room is different. If I had a problem with that I would politely address it.

ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 05-20-2022, 03:00 PM

Sorry I forgot to specify. The children are special needs. The shoes were a down syndrome child's.

Cassyree

Old 05-20-2022, 03:23 PM

I would be furious about essential oils and diffusers. That is absolutely forbidden in the schools where I live and taught. Forcing people to breathe anything other than air would and should get teachers in big trouble here.

There must be more to the shoe story! I would not tape shoes unless this was a strategy mutually agreed to by teacher and parent, suggested and approved by parents and administration at the county level, and confirmed in writing for my legal protection. And then I might still say no! As I said, there must be a lot more to this story and this odd situation.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 05-20-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
There must be more to the shoe story! As I said, there must be a lot more to this story and this odd situation.

No, not really. Teacher got annoyed with student constantly kicking shoes off, so they were taped on to prevent him from continuing doing this.

Tori58

Old 05-20-2022, 03:35 PM

I don't think I'd be upset about taping shoes on so long as the tape wasn't on the child's skin and the shoes weren't damaged.

I would be furious about essential oils being applied to a child without my consent and I don't think it's safe to use them in a diffuser around children, either. The possibilities for allergic reactions are enormous and some essential oils can be downright toxic.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-20-2022, 03:36 PM

No to all of it. Just no.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 05-20-2022, 03:37 PM

No to all of it. There are shoelaces that are stretchy that makes it easy to put shoes back on. Seems like the child is already taking them off no problem!

I am allergic to some perfumes so the diffuser and oils are not okay.

I wish I had some advice.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 05-20-2022, 03:39 PM

My first inclination is to say no, no, and no.

But I was reminded from a thread a day or two ago the importance of knowing both sides of a story before making a decision.

But I would probably think a firm no to all three of those questions.
FionaJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-20-2022, 03:40 PM

No.
I have a little nephew with Downs Syndrome (he's 3). His mom took to a special shoe store after consulting with his physical therapist to get the right type of shoe. Maybe the student needs a different type of shoes if they don't stay on.

Definitely no to the essential oils--major no-no without parental permission. What if a child has an allergic reaction? Plus, I'm sure there are protocols in place, teachers aren't even supposed to help students put on sunscreen during outdoor activities.

Curious, are you the teacher in this scenario, or the parent?
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

No
Old 05-20-2022, 03:44 PM

I would no say to all 3.

However, I could see some people think the essential oil thing and the diffuser thing as okay. I still don't, but I could see others think that.

I don't think it would be okay tape the shoes on, even if skin wasn't touched. Heck, even if the shoe needed tape to be fixed and the kid asked, in this day and Age, I still probably wouldn't feel comfortable!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 05-20-2022, 03:47 PM

No

No

Yes (unless there were known allergies - lots of people on our campus have diffusers, scentsys, wallflowers, etc.) unless a staff member/student in the class or classroom close by is sensitive
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 05-20-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Curious, are you the teacher in this scenario, or the parent?
Neither, I was a para in this teacher's room. I am headed back to her room next year, I don't want to be put in the position of working in her room if she continues to do questionable things. I regret keeping my mouth shut when these things happened. Well the shoes, everyone at school seen that, so I was everyone ok with that? But parents didn't know because they made sure to take the tape off before sending child home. You get put in a rock and a hard place, if you tattle (usually teacher gets a slap on the wrist) then I will probably get kicked in the butt for doing so, but if I don't say something, I regret it. Plus, for one incident, I had just turned in another teacher for questionable actions and I didn't want it to be looked at that I was a trouble para. I guess I will resign after this year because I really don't want to be in her room (long story short, she is the probably the only likely teacher I would be put with next year since I don't want to work jr/sr high). My student's mom doesn't even want her child in this class but she has no choice if he attends this district. She even told superintendent and principal her concerns, but nothing will change. She just wanted me to continue to be his para to "protect" him from her.

FionaJ

Old 05-20-2022, 04:05 PM

You are in a difficult situation!
FionaJ is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Question
Old 05-20-2022, 04:23 PM

No to all of them. Too many people are allergic to scents.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-20-2022, 04:44 PM

Can you anonymously report this through CPS ? I would call the number and report that you are uncomfortable but cannot share your name.

MKat

Old 05-20-2022, 04:58 PM

Parents should be consulted about shoe issue. HARD NO on essential oils.

I would be very upset about the diffuser. Dangerous for the allergic/asthmatic kids and for anyone allergic/asthmatic who has to be near them. I used to have to make my kids shower after spending an hour with a Sunday School teacher who stank of essential oils. I've had lots of terrible reactions to people who are using essential oils to "improve their health."

Last edited by MKat; 05-20-2022 at 07:55 PM..
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 05-20-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Can you anonymously report this through CPS ? I would call the number and report that you are uncomfortable but share your name.
No, I don't think so, since what I personally have witnessed has happened over a year ago. I know the teacher still has the diffuser in her room. I just know if I work with her again, I will see more questionable stuff because that is who she is. There is also other things she has done that is borderline that I haven't mentioned.

kahluablast

Old 05-20-2022, 05:27 PM

Does the school have any kind of policy about essential oils and smelly things?

Does the school have a policy about putting anything on children's skin?

We don't have a policy that forbids essential oils and diffusers unless someone has an issue with it.

We don't give kids meds or anything else on their person without written permission, so I wouldn't do the essential oil without clearing it with parents first.

The shoes? Holy cow, why do we have to get bent out of shape about every little thing? If it doesn't hurt the shoe or the child, I can see who this would be a giant time saver if there was a problem with a student taking shoes off. Of course, a conversation with parents about possible solutions to this situation should be in order, but if it helps and doesn't hurt anyone what is the big deal?

If you don't feel comfortable, ask if the parents are aware and okay with each thing. If parents know, then... If they don't, then definitely do not participate in any of them. State that you are uncomfortable and it is possible they will stop (or not let you see them).
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I used
Old 05-20-2022, 05:50 PM

to joke that I was going to use a glue gun to "fix" shoelace bows so they would stay...
but no, no to all.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 05-20-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The shoes? Holy cow, why do we have to get bent out of shape about every little thing?.
To me, I find it very disrespectful to the child. If it was just in the classroom maybe, but it was outside at recess where everyone can see. This child was 9 yrs old, not like a 3 yr old where you might see it as more of a norm.

anna

Old 05-20-2022, 06:52 PM

Would any of you like to be forced into wearing shoes that were taped onto your feet as you were walking outside? Why is this ok for a downs syndrome child?

Ima Spedtcher

Old 05-20-2022, 08:15 PM

I am a hard NO to all.

I would never want to be physically forced to wear something I didnít want to wear. Why is it okay to do it to a child? Same with the essential oils- nope. I just think of those people that died from the pillow spray they bought from Walmart.

Neanea- it seriously sucks to report people. I know, I had to do it FOUR times this year. I am scared to even look at teachers working with children anymore because I do not want to have to report anyone else.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

No way!
Old 05-20-2022, 08:54 PM

No to everything, and I agree with Cassyree, the *only* thing students should be breathing while in school is air, hopefully clean and fresh as possible. I would consider a diffuser to be a source of indoor pollution.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Old 05-20-2022, 09:56 PM

Several teachers at my elementary school use a diffuser ó including our principal, so I donít see that as a big deal. The other two would make me uncomfortable. My biggest question is do the parents know? They might be ok with it and then you look like a tattletale.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 05-20-2022, 11:26 PM

No to the first two.

I run a diffuser in my room but it's only on in the afternoon when the kids have left. Helps clear out the aroma of hot, sweaty kid.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 05-21-2022, 05:52 AM

For me, no to diffusers and absolutely no to putting E.O. on a student. We had individuals who used the diffusers in their rooms and I couldn't be in there for meetings. Too strong for me even if it was lavender to calm everyone down.

The taping of shoes, I'm mixed about honestly. Does the family know? It is a safety issue to have children in the classroom without shoes on. What if there's an emergency that requires immediate exiting of the classroom and this student fights getting shoes on? How do you go to lunch, recess if the child refuses to keep shoes on? If this is an issue with the child, I would first be having conversations with the family about the shoe issue. I wouldn't be taping long term though but until something can get resolved---but once again, with parent permission only and as a short term solution only. What about having child wear heavy duty slippers?

Tough situation
Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 05-21-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
It is a safety issue to have children in the classroom without shoes on. What if there's an emergency that requires immediate exiting of the classroom and this student fights getting shoes on? How do you go to lunch, recess if the child refuses to keep shoes on? If this is an issue with the child, I would first be having conversations with the family about the shoe issue.
Is it really a safety issue? At the school my kids go to, shoes are not allowed in the classroom. In many classrooms I go in about half the kids have their shoes off. Kids and adults CAN walk without shoes. Iím not sure what the safety issue is. I know it is a battle I wouldnít fight.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 05-22-2022, 05:00 AM

Ima--I had no idea there's schools around that allow this. Our students all wear shoes all the time.

Clearly this teacher needs to be having some conversations with the parents if this is an issue in her classroom. Taping is not a long term solution.
Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote