Help

Career Decisions

How to switch FROM teaching?

>

Fl223

How to switch FROM teaching?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for five years and frankly, I am exhausted and want out. I have a undergraduate degree in Business, but left the industry for teaching. Now I want to go back, but find it hard to apply for financial jobs with only teaching experiences.

Any advice on how to switch from teaching would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fl223 is offline   Reply With Quote

adrienne1983

adrienne1983

Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe could be a corporate trainer?

shelley81

State Dept
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The State Dept in your area might have some jobs that could combine your experiences or check out Program Director at Child Care Centers or Head Start, etc.
shelley81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Madrone

Totally understand
Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just finished my first year in May. Everyone says it takes two, three, four years to get a groove, but that's a heck of a learning curve. I'm halfway through summer break and am starting to dread returning. Not sure if that's real or just part of the cycle - know what I mean? I have been looking at job postings and weighing my options.

Anyway, Fl223, don't limit yourself. You can try to spin teaching experiences as management and evaluation - you'd have to admit it was students, but managing and evaluating students is harder, in most cases, that with adults. You have excellent budgeting, time management and organizational skills - and presumably you have experience with a wide variety of technology. Attention to detail? Got it. Accuracy - you bet. Patience? Ability to get along with a variety of temperaments, backgrounds and abilities? Check, check, check.

You are vastly qualified. Go get 'em.

~Madrone
Madrone is offline   Reply With Quote

S1Shannon

Tired Teach
Old 07-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know what you mean! I am about to begin my 7th year and absolutely hate the thought of going back. I like the teaching and find my peers to be very supportive. My administration, on the other hand.... I have never been treated in such a nonprofessional manner. She is all "honey" and "pumpkin" to everyone outside of her office, but heaven forbid she gets you alone or with just her assistant principal behind her closed office doors. Her language and accusations belong in some low class ghetto, not in a professional environment. She believes in ruling by intimidation, and it seems to work for her. Everyone either sucks up to her to try to stay on her good side, or lives in fear of what she will do to them next. She came into a grade level meeting last year (I was the grade level chairperson) and she took the combs from my hair and messed it up in front of my grade level peers. I told her later that I felt it was disrespectful and embarrassing. She told me, "Well you can bet I will never touch your hair again! Your head could be on fire and you would just have to burn to a crisp, because I wouldn't touch it!" She also referred to the friends/coworkers I socialize with as pigs. "Well, being the farm girl you are, you should know that if you lay with pigs you're gonna get muddy!"

I have been trying to transfer to another school for three years. The school district hires new grads and gives out of state relocation bonuses to get new hires from other states. Then if any positions are left, you can try for them. I keep hearing, "I won't know until after the 6-day count." The only way I could wait for the 6-day count is to take a leave of absence and pray an opening comes along for which I get hired. Being single, this isn't an option I can gamble on. I am seriously thinking of going back to school to be a corporate trainer or a technical writer. I hope things work out for you FL223 and anyone else who has come to hate their job! (Too bad, I am a good teacher, but I absolutely hate going to work!)

S1Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

Old 07-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Okay --- the hair thing is just plain weird. Is there more to that story that would make it seem even remotely appropriate?

As for the behind closed door behaviour --- do not meet with this person without your union representative present.

Verbal abuse and intimidation are not acceptable in any work place. Your union will launch an "abuse of authority" grievance.

But they can't do anything to help insure fair working conditions if you don't let them know what is happening.
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

S1Shannon

Response to n2n2n2n's Reply
Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Nope. She walked in the door where the meeting was held and my back was to the door. And Poof! She took the combs out of my hair and tossed them on the table then messed my hair up in front of everyone. I was appalled, as were my coworkers who came to ask me what that was all about after the meeting.

After receiving a less than favorable annual evaluation, I decided I had nothing to lose by involving the union. They were thrilled because I actually filed 6 different grievances against her. The union rep told me that a lot of people had complained about her, but were afraid to sign a grievance against her due to her retaliatory nature. My grievances were the first she received in 5 years of being our principal.
S1Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote

lucky

My God!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You poor thing. I thought I'd heard everything but this takes the cake. She must be insane. Do you have a Union you can go to? Can you go to personnel and report her sleazy behavior? Sometimes if enough people complain then they will do something.
Lucky

Last edited by lucky; 07-26-2007 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Hadn't read other posts, sorry
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

hair thing
Old 08-01-2007, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've never heard of anything so outrageous! That bizarre act in itself should get her written up, because she has violated your space and privacy. Nobody should be allowed to touch you or your hair without your permission. If students did that to each other, you'd be guaranteed that the parents would have a fit. But a principal? Did she think she was being funny? I think she's a nut case! It's pure harassment. Stay after it. Make sure the union gets as much documentation on her as they need to get her out of there. Stuff like that should not happen at any school. No wonder you hate the place. Good luck!!
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote
AES

AES

Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi,

I am a certified chartered accountant and would love to go into teaching to teach accounts and other business subjects. How do i go about it and how long do i have to train sor?

Thanks for your help.