Career Decisions

Business major thinking about new career

>

Joe

Joe

Business major thinking about new career
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently graduated from a 4 year college in Missouri with a major in Marketing. The thing is I really dont like the jobs in my career, and one career that I picture myself really enjoying is being a elementary school teacher. Can someone give some information on a few things?:

1. do i have to go back to school and take 2 years worth of teaching classes?

2. thinking long term if i did decide to become a teacher I would like to eventually become a principle, how hard would this be? masters? doctors? years?

the thing is i have been in school for a while now and dont really want to go back for 2 more years, but i cant seem to find anything else i would enjoy. thankyou

dee

Go for it!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a BS in Business (Hotel Administration), worked for years, and then decided to get my teaching degree. I enrolled in a Master's program and was able to complete it while working fulltime (first at a crappy hourly job I had after my divorce and move, then as a teacher's aide) and with two young children as a single mom.
Looking back I can't believe I did it all!

Anyway, yes, you need a degree. You will find the graduate level courses very different as all who are there are very serious students.

Go to the college and get some info. You do not want to go through this and then decide you don't "like" it, like you did with business. You need to figure out why you didn't know what you were getting in to with business, or why you didn't change your major. Don't go into education just because you think it might be for you. Know before you do it.

In most states you need to not only have a teaching degree and certification, but also several years experience teaching, then a school admin degree which includes a practicum, much like student teaching before becoming administration. So you have to take one step at a time to become a principal. Many of us have 2 Masters or a Masters and then a Certificate of Advanced Study (CAGS).

As far as teaching, I recommend NOT becoming a generalist elementary teacher. Figure out what you want to do and go for a Reading, Science, Math or Special Education master's since this has the highest demand. I am dually certified in Elementary (grades 1-6) and Special Education (PK-8). This helps tremendously with budget cuts and job losses.

Just know what you want and what you are getting into to with your eyes wide open.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

SheriB

Check out your own state
Old 03-09-2006, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Joe,
In my state, Idaho, after getting my degree in Elem. Ed., to become a principal, one of the private universities offers a 15 month program, easily accompolished while you teach. This is a great way to get into administration. You are able to learn what its like in the "trenches" prior to becoming a principal.

Understand, however, that teaching in not what it was years ago. It is very rigorous and the stress and demands on your life are many. We are constantly bombarded with ever increasing testing requirments that have eliminated a lot of the fun that was once teaching. Be prepared, go visit a local school and volunteer for a while, they will love you and you will be able to see what happens during a typical school day.

Administration also has become a dictated by NCLB (No Child Left Behind) venue and the stress on them is greater than ever.

Good luck!
SheriB is offline   Reply With Quote

mojo

certification
Old 03-11-2006, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Find out what you need to get certified and then take it from there for the Masters.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

getting into the profession
Old 03-11-2006, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would advise that before you jump into elementary teaching you spend some time in a school to get a realistic picture of how schools are these days. Take mental notes in a classroom of how much time the teacher has to spend on her/his feet, handling discipline, and how she/he manages the classroom in general. Volunteer for awhile to see if it's something you would really like. Unfortunately, I have met some people who have an erroneous vision of classroom teaching - that it's a lot easier than it is. They want an easier job, and they find out very quickly that it's not, then they leave.

Joe, we need more guys in the elementary classroom. I don't want you to think that I'm trying to discourage you from entering. I know one person who left a business job and spent two years taking education classes to get an elementary license. Becoming a principal depends upon the competition in your area. Principals where I live generally have some teaching experience under their belt, plus a Master's degree. You could get a Master's degree while you are working on your education credits. I have known people who have done that when they already have a Bachelor's degree. Two more years will go quickly, and you can work and take classes in the evenings.

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
GatorMan

GatorMan

Florida
Old 03-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In Florida, you do not need to be previously certified nor have a teaching degree to be hired. With your degree in management, you could start off as a math teacher (but not elementary) because you've probably taken all of the needed courses. Florida is a unique situation b/c they are very desperate for teachers, especially in math and science. Or possibly you could teach business education in high school, although finding that specific job would be more difficult. However, to teach elementary school, than you definitely would have to return to school, no matter the state. Good Luck.

kyle113

Old 03-29-2006, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hello,

[Now that I've read back over what I wrote, I realize that it's more of a commentary/agreement than it is a question/inquiry. Nevertheless, feel free to add comments/agreements/disagreements/etc to this post.]

I am in a similar situation to Joe. I graduated in May 2005 with a BBA in Management. Yet, now that I've completed my degree, I'm not sure that it was the right thing for me. Not that I didn't enjoy the work or couldn't get through it (obviously I did - I got a degree).

My father has been actively teaching for 43 years, so naturally I have been exposed to the ups and downs of it, from the inside and outside. And all through my schooling, he continually suggested to me about pursuing becoming a teacher. I dismissed that out of my mind, seeing all he had to put up with. Now, years later, I have come back to it as an option to consider. Funny how things work out.

And please don't think that because I say 'option' that I'm referring/looking at it as a copout and an easy way. It's just that, with the degree I've got and that 'training,' there's not many other words to describe it.

I've been told by several people that I'd do well as a teacher (even former teachers have told me that). I've tutored before (as an occupation and during my high school years) and am presently subbing at the school where my father teaches (itís a very small private school) in between job interviews.

Thank for your input.

Kyle
kyle113 is offline   Reply With Quote
CUTiger

CUTiger

Old 04-07-2006, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a Marketing major you might be interested in counselor education or human resources. You might love career counseling. A lot of schools in SC will be a mandated to have someone be a certified Career Development Facilitator. But....that's high/middle school. I'm trying to become an elementary guidance counselor.

Don't give up because anything is possible. I used to be in the School of Materials Science and Engineering. Look at me now

Go Tigers

dee

Ditto
Old 04-08-2006, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At the age of 40 I went back and got my masters in special education. My bachelors was in business and economics. I had 20 years in the business field. Frankly, I think it prepared me greeatly for teaching...working with people and negotiating their perseonalities, dealing with administration, handling parents, and multi-tasking in the classroom!!!

Since you've been exposed to the ups and downs already, and are gaining experience subbing, go for it!!! You very well may find yourself wanting to go for an admin degree to make things better somewhere from the top on down!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Jenny Jen

Jenny Jen

Old 05-30-2006, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm in the same situtation. I live in MI and I have a BBA in Human Resource Mgt and I don't know where to begin. I want to become a teacher but I am clueless as to where to start. I've been to the state if MI website and that still didn't point me in the right direction.

ang

Florida
Old 06-03-2006, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Just to clarify an earlier post from a fellow Floridian -- I just completed my first year as an elementary teacher in Florida, and I DID NOT go back to school to do so. My degree is in psychology, but I was able to get a temp. cert. to teach in k-12 ESE and k-6 Elem Ed just by passing the Subject Area Exams given by the State. I will have to take a couple of college classes over the course of the three years, but did not have to return to school before starting to teach.
ang is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie1995

Ftce
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Read your post about passing the FTCE subject area exams. Can you elaborate on your preparation for the exams, and which exams you studied for?

I'm studying Middle School Math, and it's tough! I don't think I've used a lot of this for YEARS!

I was also thinking about ESE, but need more information about it first.
Any input?

Thanks!
Jackie1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherine

Old 08-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Look into programs that offer "Alternative Certification." I don't know if they exist in every state, but they certainly do exist in states with a teacher shortage (such as Texas)

The alt certification route is pretty nice if you don't want to deal with the expense or time committment of going back to college. It involves about 18 months of monthly workshops and 9 hours of graduate coursework. You serve your "internship"/"student teaching" as a fully paid independent teacher with your own classroom. After that, and you pass all of your State certification board inspections, you receive full certification.

Some universities also offer graduate programs where you receive your initial teacher certification as well as your masters upon completion.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote

cindyg

BBA Business - to teaching
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am in the same situation. I have a BBA in Business in Michigan and have been considering going back to school to get a Masters in Special Ed. Last year, I signed up as a guest teacher to get a "feel for what it would be like". I am subbing again this year. As I am 43 I have not decided if I wanted to commit to this course. I have talked to two different colleges and learned I need about 60 credits just to be certified. I like subbing and have learned a lot. You may want to consider this option before you decide. I do not think Michigan offers alternative certification. Cindy
cindyg is offline   Reply With Quote