Career Decisions

Careers Outside the Classroom?

>

MelissaH01

Careers Outside the Classroom?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I am new to the education profession--I have a BS in Early Childhood. I have decided that while I like working with children/people, I don't like being in the classroom all day and the workload that goes with it. I did not have a life this year and was sick a lot. I would like to obtain a position in a human service/child agency, but am I qualified for those type of jobs? I feel stuck now and am not sure what to do next.

Thanks

MelissaH01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stewy

Stewy

Retiring Teacher at 25
Old 08-18-2007, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are not alone! I am a certified teacher grades 6-12 with one full year experience and I am also "jumping ship."

I can't give you too much advice since I haven't landed anything else yet. But here's a possible plan:

1. Consider signing up for subbing so you will have "something" in September while trying to find another job

2. Job hunting can be a full-time job in itself, so get started on your resume, cover letters (a tailored one for every job you apply for) and inquiring directly with companies you want to work for. Also practice interviewing, and do some research on techniques for answering tough questions.

The hardest thing is overcoming lack of experience and that dreaded "why did you leave teaching?" question. I think the best idea is to convince an employer that the job you are applying for NOW is what you really want to do. Employers want people who are going to be committed and hardworking in addition to qualified. So figure out what you really want to do and phrase your answer to that "dreaded" question in a matter that shows your passion and committment to the new career choice.

3. Go for the "direct" approach. Contact people in the human service/child agency and ask if you can job shadow, volunteer, temp, or intern. Also check Monster, CareerBuilder, Hotjobs, Craigslist and whatever other local sites are available to you to look for job ads and apply for positions that open up in organizations that interest you.

4. NETWORK. It's a little weird, but "knowing someone" is an invaluable method for getting a job. Contact people and let them know you are looking for a job in the most positive way possible.

5. Consider a staffing agency or temp-to-hire. Sometimes (and it depends) you can make a great impression on people with contacts and resources who can "go to bat" for you and help you get that job.

That's all I've got for now.

Good luck! Hopefully it will work out for both of us.
Paige teache

Paige teache

teacher
Old 11-25-2009, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You guys are so smart for getting out now. Best decision you will ever make for your life. I am in my 25th year and miserable. Good luck!