Help

Career Decisions

GK English Language Skills

>

adria

GK English Language Skills
Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Florida teachers I need some help. My email address is destin_01y@hotmail.com. If you would like to discuss the test and ofcourse become email study partners, email me please. This is my seocnd time taking the test and I have failed.

Thank you

adria is offline   Reply With Quote

retchief

retchief

Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The reading material wasn't easy on that test. I went to the local community college "IRCC" and they offered a free remedial course to prepare. IRCC still refers to the general knowledge test as CLAST. Once you sign up they give you an evaluation (TAPE test) and then tailor the material to your weaknesses. IRCC lets you come and review the material on your own schedule. I found the practice invaluable and passed the first time.
Teresa M

Teresa M

Senior education major ( elementary)
Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi! I will be taking the GK in a few days. 1st what part did you take?
please get back with me as soon as possible! when is the next date that you are schedule/ or can take the test? Will your cerification be under the (ss) Sunshine Standards. In anycase look forward to hearing from you. Teresa M

careerchanger

Reading Competencies
Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are 6 competencies required for a Reading Endorsement. Competency 2 includes reading instruction techinques that are useful in all content areas and in making teachers better readers. If your courses covered that competency, the reading part of the GK should not be a problem. If not, you should seriously consider locating a face-to-face course. Many school districts offer them, especially in the summer, and there are also offerings from community colleges, university schools of education, and educational consortia. I had the training as part of the Educator Preparation Institute certification program at Tallahassee Community College and wasn't sure it would count towards the endorsement until the administration from the Florida DOEgot a letter recognizing the training. Competencies 4 and 5 deal with differentiated instruction and translate well to all content areas too.
careerchanger is offline   Reply With Quote