Career Decisions

Dislike kids...

>

Anon.

Anon.

Dislike kids...
Old 01-23-2007, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've moved to an area that is somewhat economically homogenous and I'm not having any luck finding a job with my particular qualifications. It turns out I am eligible to teach science to middle school and high school students. My other option is to work in professions that involve saying "paper or plastic?" or "would you like fries with that?". Pretty pathetic for having a BS in applied science and a few years of grad work. Anyway given those options teaching should seem great EXCEPT I don't particularly LIKE children.
I have always disliked kids even when I WAS a kid. I was always rankled by those younger than me until I was in my twenties. When all my friends started having kids (I don't want any) I found that if I was friendly with the parents I did enjoy the kids as long as I could return them at the end of the day. If I despise the parents I would rather not be around the kids. I have gotten more patient in my old age though.
Since I abhor the idea of bagging groceries I work part time as a tutor, something I used to do for my peers in high school, college, and grad school. I LIKE the kids I tutor (and it's not like I have a choice, they are assigned to me). I find that I relate best to the older students but I like the 3-4th grade set too.
Since I dislike kids should I reconsidor teaching as a profession?

risingsprings

Hmmmm....
Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a s-i-l who once made a comment about me not liking children... when in fact it was HER children (my niece and nephews) that I didn't like. Wow, was she ever floored when I went for a teaching degree in my mid 30's. Up until student teaching, I wasn't sure I wanted to be "stuck" w/ 20-30 kids in a 20x20 room all day by myself. Once I had the opportunity to really experience it, I found that I knew what I wanted to do. Now that said, I get incredibly FRUSTRATED w/ the "system" and the forces that be -- and I can't teach to the children as I see the need. It is so focused on outcome based that I find that I don't ENJOY the teaching. I have been off work for 2 days due to being very sick w/ strep and could easily take 2 more days off to recuperate, but I'll be back tomorrow, b/c I really do LIKE my students. Since you have the backup plan of "paper or plastic?" --why don't you try a sub position (but know that subbing sometimes is more difficult than teaching due to management issues--it all depends on your personality--I LOVED subbing, but there were days when it was so hard), or if you can find a science job, take it. Try it out, also w/ the understanding that the first year can be so very trying. I'm in my 3rd year, and am still struggling to figure it all out. However, I have had to change grade levels 3 x in 3 years (5,4, and now3, and yes, next year will be 2nd - oh my)...but I want a job and will fill the vacancy. Good luck. Please try it. Just by asking in a forum such as this, I think you want to experience it. And remember, you still don't have to like other people's kids!!! I don't!
risingsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 01-23-2007, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you like tutoring, you will probably be okay. Why don't you do some subbing? You could get a feel for different grade levels and your tolerance of kids. Maybe you will be fine with kids within the structure of school.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
MissHope

MissHope

If you don't like kids, don't teach!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sorry but if you do not like kids, you are going to hate every moment in school. I am the opposite. I love most kids and able to deal with their silliness, immaturity, and mistakes. After all, they are not perfect and neither am I. I think in order to be a good teacher you have to care about your students and SHOW THEM THIS! You are not just an "expert" but someone who is going to let the students become the experts at time.

I really believe that if kids repel you then you should try to work with adults or in another field. Hope this helps.

phoebe611

kids
Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am not especially fond of kids myself (and really dislike babies). My husband and I have pretty much decided not to have them unless something amazing like winning the lottery happens (so we could hire a live in nanny). Anyway, I found through my college experiences visiting various classrooms that I am definitely NOT a teacher for the young. Third grade is as low as I would want to go and even then, I would not be happy. My 11 years of experience has been with 5th and 6th graders. I LOVE getting to know them as people. I would not just start a conversation with a child (any age) in a store or anything, but there is something special about connecting with your students. I think if you have that connection with the ones you tutor, then you would also have it with your students.

I went from teaching about 15 - 30 students a day to teaching 125 and was scared to death that not only could I not connect to them, but I wouldn't actually LIKE some of them. I'm relieved to say that I do like each one of them and have found it tough, but I have found ways to connect with them (through journal writings, conversations in the hall, a couple of my really BIG misbehavior problems are finding it fun to teach me dance moves which in turn helps with the behavior problems, etc.)

So, my point is try it, because I think you will find that your bond with them will be great!

phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

please look for other work
Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I disagree with some of the other posters.

Please look for other work.

If you don't like kids then teaching is not for you. In my school you can be assigned any grade plus you deal with kids in all grades through out the day.

Kids deserve teachers who actually like them rather than tolerant them because they see teaching as a field that pays a decent salary when they can't find job to suit their qualifications.
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

jensw

how about trying subbing first?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was one of those who didn't like kids, never wanted any of my own, was absolutely NOT going to go into teaching. Then I ended up subbing for a few weeks for a junior high English class and loved it! I went back and got a full-time job teaching junior high English, and I had a great time teaching and really enjoyed my junior highers, even on those days when everything goes wrong.

I now teach 5th in a different school, and its "just okay" (and "just okay" is stretching it). They grate on my nerves day in and day out, and I frequently wonder when they will "just grow up." (Part of it is the particular group of 5th graders, but part of it is their age. I just don't relate to this young an age, I guess.)
jensw is offline   Reply With Quote
udfbn

udfbn

friends
Old 02-03-2007, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is not in our job description to be friends with the students you teach. You can teach-so do it. Its easy to not like kids these days. Many of them are so spoiled they come to school expecting to have everything handed to them like at home. Teaching is a great form of birth control. ROTFL Some years you'll get classes that you will like better than others. Some of this is due to their parents and the amount of support they give to their child's teacher. I say go for it if you want. Believe it or not, not all teachers are crazy about kids. You said it best--you can return them at the end of the day.

lillian

I always tell people
Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That I think the only reason to go into teaching is because you absolutely love working with kids. If you don't, don't teach! Teaching CAN BE filled with headaches--lousy administration, great administration that is replaced with lousy administration, unsupportive co-workers, school districts that are only concerned about how well your students did on the state-mandated tests (not on how much the students improved from the beginning of the year to the end of the year), difficult parents, on and on and on. The ONLY way to stick all of this out is to love working with kids.
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote

deebat

Please look elsewhere for income
Old 02-09-2007, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Teaching should not be looked at as a way to make money; you need to be committed to the success of children. They are the END, not the MEANS. I fear that if you see it any other way, you'll do a disservice to the kids. (By the way, the kids will know you don't like them. Are you sure you want to work with that dynamic every day?)

Please look elsewhere for your income. Otherwise, there's a good chance you'll end up on YouTube as one of those teachers who screams at their students.

deebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Anon.

Anon.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I suppose I should probably clarify some of my statements. I do not relate well to young children at all (fortunately I am not eligible to teach them, just older grades). I do not have a "little kid voice" like some adults, I generally don't bend over to talk to small children, I do not gush, I do not coddle, I am not interested in teaching social skills like "indoor voices", sharing, or walking in line, and small children usually annoy me instead of gladdening my heart.

I do have one second grader I like working with but he is very self-contained. I have a number of third and fourth graders that are fun to work with too but I never have them for more than 2 hours. Despite all this I do not feel that children should pop out of the womb knowing everything. Education is very important to me. If a student asks me a genuine question I am more than happy to answer it and I try my best to do it in terms they understand. I definitely do not use a silly or dramatic air when addressing kids. I am a serious person.

I have a number of middle schoolers I relate to much better, even the sullen, insolent, unmotivated ones. I have a very large vocabulary and if I make a conscious effort I can drop it to a sixth grade level or so. I view older children as interesting protoadults. It is interesting to see how they react to different stimuli, like things under the microscope. What I don't have much patience for with older students is thier social drama. I am not interested in thier prepubescent and pubescent crisis mode because nine times out of ten the "crisis" will not matter at all when they are 20. Everybody goes through the teenage crisis phase but I never once involved my teachers in it. If they want to giggle, flirt, and be hormonal, mean, or catty they can do it on thier own time but I get very steamed at the idea of it coming into the classroom and effecting the learning environment negatively. I am more than happy to teach older students about things like being responsible, being a good citizen, stewardship etc. I am not interested in breaking up the latest "Lizzy is being mean because I wore a pink skirt today instead of Thursday and I can't possibly do any homework because of it" teenage girl catfight.

I had three classes (subbing) of about 30 sophmores the other day and I really enjoyed them. They encompassed the whole range from the insolent unmotivateds I work with all the time to the very motivated happy to be at school bunch. They were pretty normal and I liked interacting with them, asking them about thier school (where I am a new sub) and thier extracurricular activities, etc. I still haven't decided if teaching is what I want to do all the time but it was nice to see that the older students weren't horrid.

bluestocking

There's more than one way to like kids...
Old 02-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think if you've subbed for the ages you would be teaching, and you liked it, you should go for it. But I also want to say that, from your posts, it seems to me not so much that you don't like kids, but that you relate to them in a more adult way, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially for a teacher. It will be good for your students to hear that you don't care about their drama (as long as you can couch it in terms of respect for other aspects of their character that you DO want to hear about!) And if they respect you as a teacher, your attitude will make them think and give them some perspective.

I don't think caring about kids and wanting to contribute to their development means you have to talk in a squeaky voice or always be trying to entertain them. I'm hoping to become a teacher of 3rd grade and up elementary students, but I've learned that I don't like being a pal to kids or playing with them. I like to TEACH them, and while some can teach by playing or getting down on the kids' level, we don't all have to do it that way.
bluestocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Anon.

Anon.

Still not sure...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I still haven't decided.

On the positive side it makes me really happy when I can help a student comprehend something and see how satisfied they can be mastering something that was previously difficult. I also beleive in life long learning and I am a very curious person by nature. I enjoy nurturing those traits in others and seeing people excited by learning and understanding the world around them. I am more used to doing this with young adults though, not kids.

On the negative side I really do not like the idea of parenting other people's kids, which teachers seem to be expected to do currently. As I said before, I don't mind setting a good example in my own actions but certain aspects of discipline are just really unappealing to me.
BB

BB

Good for you for being honest...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Good for you for being honest! We all prefer different things, and teaching at different levels. Coming to these boards and discussing with others helps all of us find a clearer perspective. Good luck in deciding what you want to do. Don't be discouraged by the posts that may sound negative, all of them have valuable insight, one way or the other. Good luck!!
Anon.

Anon.

Still on the fence....
Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've been subbing at a high school and I like that but then again that doesn't really mean anything...

deebat

It DOES mean something
Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If you like the work at the high school, then don't just ignore those feelings. Perhaps this is an age group that works for you. They're not really "kids" anymore at that age -- or at least they shouldn't be -- so maybe you connect with them better because they've gotten past a developmental stage you aren't comfortable with.

I suggested earlier in this thread that you should look elsewhere for income, and I guess I still stand by that comment if you don't like little kids. If the big kids are more palatable to you, though, sit with these feelings for awhile and see where they take you. Maybe you're close to finding your niche.
deebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Bertie

Bertie

hang around
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Anon, it sounds to me like you're a natural for middle or high school. You would treat your students with respect and integrity, you respect the learning process, and you want to instill life long learning. You like questions and encourage the questioner. If you don't want the drama, you won't go into counseling, but I think this just means your classroom will be run with a certain amount of decorum - bonus to the learners.

So you don't like to lean down and talk in a squeaky voice. I teach first grade, and I don't do that either tho I can be quite dramatic. There's often a lot of silliness and thoughtlessness at this age group, and I don't respond to that well. That being said, I can still enjoy my kiddos tremendously, as well as the challenges of teaching them to read, write and do 'ritmetic. In fact I love my grade level, and I've been told I'm good at what I do....still no squeaky voices, though I'm good at the hugging. I suspect I'd be eaten alive in jr high school, and have a huge amount of respect for those teachers who thrive on working with that age group.

I'd never encourage those who aren't good teachers to stay in the profession, who screech at their kids, don't plan well, hate the human interaction, and discourage the love of learning with a day filled with worksheets. You don't sound like that at all, so I'd say, hang around, do what you love, and in a while you'll know. Maybe you do know already and just want someone else to say it.

kt

Smething else
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You strike me as extremely intelligent and self-aware. Have you considered teaching at the community college level, or doing the work to be at the four-year university level? You might find the intellectual challenge you desire without the young kid headaches. Please don't teach a level you aren't thrilled with - they'll know it. There are enough burned out, highly-qualified-but-in-the-wrong-profession-for-the-great-public-
retirement teachers out there. We don't need more. Sometimes the setting (grade level, public/private, etc.) makes all the difference. I hated babysitting as a teen (no control, no authority), but love kids in a structured setting. Schoolteaching is perfect for me, as was my previous career, coaching swimming (lane lines are very structured!). Good luck. I get the feeling you have a lot to offer, once you find the right setting.
kt is offline   Reply With Quote