Career Decisions

Starting Over

>

currentsub

Starting Over
Old 07-17-2007, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

I graduated from college in with a degree in Spanish. Then, I went to grad school and got my Master of Education degree. I didn't plan on being a teacher, just someone that wanted to be a college professor or work as an education consultant or for the local school board.

Anyway, 2001-2003 was a very rough period for me professionally. My student teaching experience was a somewhat a disaster, as was my first year, which was even rougher (no support from anyone except my family).

Because of all that happened after 2002, I took a semester off because I wasn't ready to go back to school. In 2003, I went back as a interim at an inner city school, but that didn't go well either. Towards the spring that same year, I went back to my high school and taught Spanish I, II. It was much better over there (despite a couple of troublemakers) I made it through just fine.

I went back to school in the fall of 2004 (I subbed in Middle Schools) to take classes in Elementary Education after taking advice from my relatives (three were elem teachers themselves) about the Praxis test being easier to pass. I got close on the Spanish, PLT 7-12, but no cigar, same with the EE Content Knowledge, Curr/Assessment, and PLT K-6.

I started posting in the Subsitute Forum cause I am subbing right now, but am going to talk to a testing advisor tomorrow so he can show me how to pass the test.

I am having mixed feelings about this because, I have a degree in Spanish, there are other things I can do besides teach. And I don't know if I want to go through the mental and emotional abuse again. Besides, I am nice person, but teachers have told me that niceness doesn't cut it anymore and kids will take advantage of that. It's like children will never take me seriously unless I am strict.

I just have so many questions about everything, I don't know where to start. I just feel like maybe I am not teacher material.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by currentsub; 07-17-2007 at 01:30 PM..
currentsub is offline   Reply With Quote

mahannah

Old 07-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you ever thought about teaching ESL/Spanish speaking students in elementray school? I live in Georgia and there are always positions for teachers that specialize in Spanish, especially in the metro Atlanta area.

I don't think you have to be strict to have the kids respect you. You just need to set guidelines/rules for how you expect them to behave and stick to them! That's the hard part. If you haven't already, read Ron Clark's books- The Essential 55 and The Excellen 11. They give great advice on how to deal with rules and students who make things difficult.

I hope this helps! Good luck on the Praxis!
mahannah is offline   Reply With Quote