Help

Career Decisions

Praxis II anxiety

>

stressed nut

Praxis II anxiety
Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've taken the Praxis 2 test once and didnt' pass it and took it again in June waiting for the results to come back. I need help on ways to study and what material will help me prepare for it if I don't pass it again. The next test is given in August and I must pass it. The test I've taken is 0146-Middle School Content Knowledge and it is a little of everything. HELP SO WORRIED.

I live in Wisconsin and teach spec. ed

stressed nut is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

stressed nut
Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well. As it turns out, I just received my Middle School Science score from June today, and I did pass. Not smashingly, but about 15 points above the passing score. No big surprises there, really. I did ace the Elementary Ed. Content Knowledge, which was a little of everything, too, and I did not study one wit for it (just as another data point).

Before I offer any suggestions, it would assist me to find out from you how you have been studying for this in the past, what related courses you've taken and when (approx.), and where you feel your strengths and weaknesses are. The test results should break down your score by section so that you get feedback for specific topic areas.

You might also say a bit about your learning style, favorite/least fav subjects, etc. if you would. If you can be specific about what has and has not worked for you in the past, it would make a difference before I attempt to suggest anything. Also, do you think you have test anxiety, and if so, is it low, medium, or high?

All the best.
josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote

stressed nut

stressed nut wanting to pass Praxis 2
Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been studying strategies of taking the test from the ETS study book. I don't think I have test anxiety (low). My issues are not really knowing whats going to be on the test. I familarize my undrestanding of all subjects that are going to be on the test. My son is in middle school so I use his resources.

When I sit down to take the test and read the first question my mind tends to go Man I didn't go over this part. I try to study what my low score was off the results that come back from the test.

By the way I didn't pass the June test and will be retaking it on Aug. 4th help. I need direction.

I feel like I'm up to par with things, when taking the test brain farts come and go. My weekness is History, strong points are math, but didn't do well on the math part on the test. I'm a hands on, visual, auditory learner. Help

Help

Last edited by stressed nut; 07-17-2007 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Added to response
stressed nut is offline   Reply With Quote

linny22

cliffnotes!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I heard that the Cliffnotes of the Praxis are very help. Check out Barnes and Noble and see what types of study guides they have that can help you. Good luck!
linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

stressed nut
Old 08-06-2007, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sorry for the delayed response--I see you took the test on August 4th, two days ago. How did it go? I've been teaching for the past three weeks. Here are my (delayed) thoughts for you:

1. I suggest that you drop the strategy of familiarizing your understanding of all subjects, and not use your son's resources. Familiarizing your understanding is not going to be specific enough, and your son's resources are not going to be challenging enough. I would use high school or college texts instead.

2. If your mind tends to go "Man, I didn't go over this part", that could be a form of test anxiety, whether you are feeling anxious or not. I suggest that you simulate the test environment when taking a practice test. Go to an empty classroom, time yourself, use a bubble sheet, etc. Do a practice test weekly, and get yourself a feedback loop going.

3. As your own experience suggests, you seem not to be focusing the important factual details. You need to simulate the test environment and determine what triggers the brain lapses. If you say your weakness is history, then review the list of topics that ETS provides in the "Test At a Glance" documents for each Praxis, and use a study method like SQ3R with a good textbook to train yourself. "Familiarity with understanding" is non-specific and vague, especially for history. You will need knowledge of specific facts, big ideas, dates, concepts, etc. When you have learned specific facts in the past, what worked for you? Use the same structure that has worked in the past. If it were me, I would use a notebook, index cards (to review key info), draw timelines, write down key dates, etc. Your study must be active rather than passive. Sounds like your studying has been very passive in nature, which does not support recall very well.

4. If you say your strong point is math, and you didn't do well on the math part of the test, I would take some extra time to explore that. On the face of it, what you are saying does not make sense to me. What do you mean when you say your strong point is math? So, you need to look more deeply and analyze the situation. When you take a practice test under test conditions, do you ace the test? Where are the areas where you are guessing? Missing questions? Running out of time? Use the practice test environment to get a sense of where your weaknesses within the math field are. Then, review the list of topics that ETS provides, and get a good textbook (high school or college) that deals with that topic (e.g., college algebra, geometry, etc.) and practice, practice, practice. Do at least an hour of math every day, and make sure you structure the time so you get feedback every time you work. Do the chapter tests and look at the results in the back of the book (for example). Keep track of your errors, and go back over your answers and see where you went off track.

5. Here's something that you wrote that does not make sense to me: You wrote that you are a hands on, visual, auditory learner. That doesn't make sense to me. Usually, someone leans towards ONE, not all three. Which is your strongest? Do you really learn equally well using any of them? That is highly unusual, although possible. Once you figure which ONE works best for you, use that to support your review strategy. There's a lot online about learning styles. Check it out.

6. You will not know what will be on the test ahead of time, so if that is your expectation, you will always be disappointed. I didn't know what would be on the test ahead of time either, but I did well. My point is that "knowing what will be on the test ahead of time" is not the place to focus your attention. You need to build your own foundation of knowledge that matches the same knowledge that the test questions will come from. I repeat, you will not know what will be on the test ahead of time, but using the Test-At-a-Glance, you will know what KNOWLEDGE the test questions will be based on. Acquire that knowledge, and the specific questions will not matter.

7. A personal tip: I stopped watching television some time ago. I don't know if you spend any time watching TV, but perhaps you might consider replacing TV time with reading time, if you are serious about passing the test. When I was a child, there was a time when we had no TV. It turned out to be a pretty great thing.

All the best.

josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote