Help

Career Decisions

Question re:FTCE General Knowledge Exam

>

JessMc

Question re:FTCE General Knowledge Exam
Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I purchased the CLiff's GKE study guide and the REA study guide from a bookstore.
The Cliffs guide has a tear-out sheet that has math formulas and it is my understanding that a similar sheet will be provided at the exam.
The REA study guide does not have a reference sheet for formulas, nor any reference to one being provided during the exam.
Question: Is there going to be a math formula sheet provided, or do I need to memorize formulas for alebgra and geometry questions?
For FYI, I found the Cliffs math explanations easier to understand than the math in the REA book.
Thanks,
Jessica

JessMc is offline   Reply With Quote

careerchanger

FTCE General Knowledge Exam
Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Florida DOE now has documentation it refers to as Competencies and Skills for all exams available on-line. The one for GK is at http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/ftce/pdf/ftcomp82.pdf. In the math portion, it indicates that a claculator and reference sheet will be provided. That's what I remembered, but it was nice to b able to confirm. These are not the study guides DOE offers for sale online through the FTCE office at USF.

It sounds like the math portion is your focus, but I can't resist offering a tip on the essay. Take time to organize your thoughts in an outline, rough draft, concept map, or whatever works best for you. Practice with a time limit if you don't write on request regularly. I didn't really like either of the 2 choices I had, so wrote about something more interesting to me and related it to one of the topics. Politicians do it all the time, but they often fail to make much of a connection to the question or topic at all. Apparently, the reviewer found mine acceptable.

I don't know if you noticed, but the GK (except the essay) and several SAEs are now available as computer based tests at various testing centers. There's an additional charge, but sometimes the scheduling flexibility and immediate unnoffical results are woth it. Good luck!
careerchanger is offline   Reply With Quote

JessMc

GKE essay exam
Old 03-21-2007, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am very appreciative that you recommended practicing the essay. On practice tests in math, grammar, I am scoring in the 90's, but after timing myself on the essay practice, I realize my current skills are weak.
Any resource suggestions?
Jess
JessMc is offline   Reply With Quote
BARBIE0418

BARBIE0418

interstead
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

hey jessi well i was seein that ur practicing the gke were did u get the study guides ?? or practice test please let me know thank you